Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie Here!

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
If you're not willing to provide adequate vet care when needed then guinea pig's are not for you. Not many guinea pig illnesses can be treated in home and they are extremely painful. In my opinion it is extremely inhumane to sit and let an animal suffer because you cannot or will not take it to the vet.

To add, yes, humans and animals have lived for hundreds of years without medical assistance but that doesn't mean that they had a good quality of life. Animals that go without medical care when needed will live significantly shorter lives. Modern medicine has made it so we can live much longer and healthier lives.

who are you :?:

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
I don't see that they were doing fine in the wild, and neither do you. They've been domesticated for hundreds of years, and are almost, if not totally, nonexistent in the wild because they were prey for everything else and couldn't defend themselves. Wild animals have much shorter life spans, much higher death rates, and a lot more pain and suffering than domesticated pets do. Watch a few videos of wild animals on the Animal Channel and see how well those prey animals live.

You can do as you like, of course, but if I couldn't provide care for a pet I chose to be responsible for, I'd either not get one, or get one that I could take care of.

Well, however, I know that you just care about the health of the piggies which I think is sweet <3 But You don't understand what I mean, I mean That I won't / can't take them to the vet when they have a little scar on their back or something (you could heal it with organic honey) But If it is really really necessary I would of course drive 1-4 hours to the vet.... :) So, don't be afraid. I will take care of them! :D

Portal_Corgi

Cavy Slave
thanks so so much!!! :) You made my day, I'm just worried about the temperature here, in marrakech I am afraid they will not survive or something... Anyways thanks!!!!

Welcome to the forum! I live in Oklahoma, USA and it can easily get above 37 celcius in the summer and below -9 celcius in the winter. From what I've read so far, if you keep them inside, they'll be fine. As long as your comfortable, they will be too. :)

I would also like to add to guinepig's post and say to watch out for signs of bladder stones since my piggy's brother just died from them and bladder stones can be fairly common. His symptoms were hunching up while trying to use the bathroom and squeaking with pain when he tried to go. He also squeaked when I tried to touch his abdomen and was very lethargic. He died within less than a day so if you see any these symptoms, get him to a vet asap! I would also suggest taking them to the vet when you first get them if you can just to make sure they're ok since they can hide illness really well and the sooner you can treat them for illness, the less it will probably cost. Where I'm from, it's less than $20 USD for a regular check up. Hope this helps!

Portal_Corgi

Cavy Slave
Hi pumpkinpig, first, my name is Michele. Since I've never had pigs before, I think I'm going to "start" with females. They sound like they'd be a little easier for me to handle to start with. I'm going to start with two and down the line hopefully add two more. I have a choice of two different rescues I can try, but they both are about an hour or more from me, but hey, I'm sure it will be worth it. As for the breed, I think the only one(s) that I wouldn't be able to handle right now would be the long-haired ones. Other than that, I really don't care what the breed is. I do love the look of abby's, but I'll love whoever I can get. At this point and time, I'm not picky. :cool:

Hi Michele! I had two boys before one died and they were inseparable (both abbys...so cute!), but they were both juveniles so I'm not sure how they would have treated each other when they got older. I've heard stories of females and male/female pairs having to be separated too since they started not getting along so I'm not sure how much gender plays a role in their behavior as much as personality and amount of personal space/exercise. I've heard that if they aren't related in some way, it's a good idea to get an adult and a juvenile pig because it's easier for them to sort out who's boss without going into all- out war. I plan on getting a younger boy for my piggy so he can have a friend and hopefully I won't end up having to separate them, but this is still something you have to be prepared to do if they don't get along anymore.

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum! I live in Oklahoma, USA and it can easily get above 37 celcius in the summer and below -9 celcius in the winter. From what I've read so far, if you keep them inside, they'll be fine. As long as your comfortable, they will be too. :)

I would also like to add to guinepig's post and say to watch out for signs of bladder stones since my piggy's brother just died from them and bladder stones can be fairly common. His symptoms were hunching up while trying to use the bathroom and squeaking with pain when he tried to go. He also squeaked when I tried to touch his abdomen and was very lethargic. He died within less than a day so if you see any these symptoms, get him to a vet asap! I would also suggest taking them to the vet when you first get them if you can just to make sure they're ok since they can hide illness really well and the sooner you can treat them for illness, the less it will probably cost. Where I'm from, it's less than $20 USD for a regular check up. Hope this helps!

Thanks, this really helped! But I don't think I can bring them to the vet, since here in morocco, actually no one brings its pet to the vet it is very expensive here... But I think checking them myself is going to be ok!

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
There are a lot of guinea pig ailments you can't just check on yourself. You can't do surgery on a guinea pig with stones or ovarian cysts, nor diagnose with the precision of a good vet.

I know I know. Why do people think such stuff????

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@ThePigAlchemist I think she meant she would do checkups herself. Which is what all of us do when we weigh them weekly. If something were wrong she did clarify she would go to a vet. :)
@pumpkinpigg I'd look now to find a good, reliable and knowledgable exotic vet just so if something happens, you know where to go or who to call right away. Hopefully after some research you can find a few vets like that in morocco. Remember guinea pigs hide their illnesses very well so this is why when you actually see a symptom, you need to go the vet as its probably something you cannot fix with home remedies. Also even if it was, you can't decide that by that one symptom alone, you don't know whats really going on and you can't diagnose something without the education of a vet. I'm not putting you down, it's just a fact. There are minor injuries that you don't need to go to the vet for... but there are no minor illnesses. I think all of them can be fatal without a vet. I know you know this, I'm just making sure. ;)

That link you posted yesterday for a pair of pigs wasn't working for me for some reason. Did you decide to get them? :)

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I also think the link you posted wasn't any good. All those piggies, stuffed in a tiny cage? And I didn't see any food either. You said there are responsible breeders where you live, to me, that link did not seem like one. I am sorry, but I would not buy a piggie from them.

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
I also think the link you posted wasn't any good. All those piggies, stuffed in a tiny cage? And I didn't see any food either. You said there are responsible breeders where you live, to me, that link did not seem like one. I am sorry, but I would not buy a piggie from them.

that is why I wanted to buy them there so they can be free

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
@ThePigAlchemist I think she meant she would do checkups herself. Which is what all of us do when we weigh them weekly. If something were wrong she did clarify she would go to a vet. :)
@pumpkinpigg I'd look now to find a good, reliable and knowledgable exotic vet just so if something happens, you know where to go or who to call right away. Hopefully after some research you can find a few vets like that in morocco. Remember guinea pigs hide their illnesses very well so this is why when you actually see a symptom, you need to go the vet as its probably something you cannot fix with home remedies. Also even if it was, you can't decide that by that one symptom alone, you don't know whats really going on and you can't diagnose something without the education of a vet. I'm not putting you down, it's just a fact. There are minor injuries that you don't need to go to the vet for... but there are no minor illnesses. I think all of them can be fatal without a vet. I know you know this, I'm just making sure. ;)

That link you posted yesterday for a pair of pigs wasn't working for me for some reason. Did you decide to get them? :)

thanks i will , and I am sorry if the link doesn't work... And I am not sure, still trying to make some decisions!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.