Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What type of GP should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
I'm very curious to know which rescues told you to go to a pet store to adopt. Here are some listed on Petfinder. If they're not near you, you can call to see if they have foster homes in your area or if they'll get them closer to you.

MSPCA Boston Animal Care and Adoption Center has a lot of young males
350 South Huntington Ave
Jamaica Plain MA 02130
(617)522-5055
(broken link removed). org/boston

Medfield Animal Shelter has a young male teddy and skinny
Medfield MA
(508) 359-8989

Lowell Humane Society has a young male abby
951 Broadway
Lowell Ma 01854
(978)452-7781

MSPCA at Nevins Farm has young males
400 Broadway
Route 28
Methuen MA

Craigslist has a bunch, too.

Wow thank you so much! I called the all the Worcester animal shelters and they all acted like guinea pigs weren't ever animals :( "those rat things without tails" (from one if the shelters)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Wow thank you so much! I called the all the Worcester animal shelters and they all acted like guinea pigs weren't ever animals :( "those rat things without tails" (from one if the shelters)

You're welcome :) .... I'm sure the ones I listed regularly get guinea pigs.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
You're welcome :) .... I'm sure the ones I listed regularly get guinea pigs.

I'll be sure to send you pictures when I get him :3 thank you for all your help

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Sometimes it takes time, you don't always find one right away :(

Keep your chin up though, sometimes they show up when you least expect it.

Thank you very much :3

Smashley

Cavy Slave
Hello! I just wanted to add that I completely understand your struggle with looking for adoptable guinea pigs in your area. I've been looking for the right pair of girls for the last 2 (or so) months now. I've searched everywhere within a three-hour drive from my house. Shelters... Petfinder... Craigslist... Nothing. There's been a couple times where I found a perfect pair on Craigslist, but by the time I was able to contact the seller, the pigs had already been re-homed.

My first suggestion would be to give local shelters your name, contact information, and what you are looking for. I've called a few shelters, and told them that I'm looking for a young(ish) pair of female guinea pigs. I gave them my full name, along with my cell phone number. I asked them to keep this information on "file", and if a similar pair of piggies comes in, to give me a call. Most have agreed to do so. Although I haven't heard anything from any of these shelters, I still don't think it hurts to leave your name and number with them. You never know when the perfect piggy will end up in one of these shelters.

I'm also constantly checking Craigslist. I usually check once in the morning, and once at night. I was surprised to see so many guinea pigs come and go through that website! As soon as you see a potentially perfect guinea pig, contact the seller right away. Let them know you are interested. Express to them that you are knowledgeable about guinea pigs. Ask them any questions you might have. If they see that you are truly serious about guinea pig ownership, and that you would provide a good home, they'll probably be willing to "hold" the piggies for you, while you email back and forth.

I've yet to give up, and neither should you! I wish you the best of luck! May we both find the perfect piggies!

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Hello! I just wanted to add that I completely understand your struggle with looking for adoptable guinea pigs in your area. I've been looking for the right pair of girls for the last 2 (or so) months now. I've searched everywhere within a three-hour drive from my house. Shelters... Petfinder... Craigslist... Nothing. There's been a couple times where I found a perfect pair on Craigslist, but by the time I was able to contact the seller, the pigs had already been re-homed.

My first suggestion would be to give local shelters your name, contact information, and what you are looking for. I've called a few shelters, and told them that I'm looking for a young(ish) pair of female guinea pigs. I gave them my full name, along with my cell phone number. I asked them to keep this information on "file", and if a similar pair of piggies comes in, to give me a call. Most have agreed to do so. Although I haven't heard anything from any of these shelters, I still don't think it hurts to leave your name and number with them. You never know when the perfect piggy will end up in one of these shelters.

I'm also constantly checking Craigslist. I usually check once in the morning, and once at night. I was surprised to see so many guinea pigs come and go through that website! As soon as you see a potentially perfect guinea pig, contact the seller right away. Let them know you are interested. Express to them that you are knowledgeable about guinea pigs. Ask them any questions you might have. If they see that you are truly serious about guinea pig ownership, and that you would provide a good home, they'll probably be willing to "hold" the piggies for you, while you email back and forth.

I've yet to give up, and neither should you! I wish you the best of luck! May we both find the perfect piggies!

I hope you find your piggies soon! As of right now I have two guinea pigs. Puddles, who I got from my boyfriends little sister. I kept his name the same because by them it suited him. And Drizzle, who I named to go along with Puddles. But my cage is large enough for 8 guinea pigs so I really do want another. I love guinea pigs a great deal and I've only owned them for a little over a month. You fall in love with them fast ^_^ although some behaviors are still strange and confusing to me I'm doing the best I can.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you find your loves soon!

Sunshine_

Cavy Slave
I love absynnian guineas

HairlessPiggies

Cavy Gazer
That's a shame skinny pigs are awesome and do not require specialized skin care I have 2 skinnies and the only difference is that I bathe my skinnies a little more often. They are the best!

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
https://www.petfinder.com/pet-searc...&primary_breed=guinea+pig&distance=&pet_name=

If the link won't load, go to Petfinder.com

Type in Boston, MA for the location, choose "Small and Furry" for the animal, and "Guinea Pig" for the breed. There are 23 guinea pigs in the Boston, MA area in need of a good home.

Craigslist ads-
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
THIS ONE IS A RESCUE (broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Have you thought about what happens if you get another guinea pig, and they don't get along after doing introductions?

This is why most of us *HIGHLY* recommend going the rescue route. They have you bring your guinea pig in, and do a match making service to find him a friend that he is compatible with. :)

Here is a rescue in Connecticut, which isn't terribly far I believe. (broken link removed)

If the links won't load on your cell, and you don't have a computer, then go to a library and use the internet/computers there.

Also, how big are your building your C&C cage to house 3 male piggies? We'd love to see pictures! :)

Personally, I love peruvian mix guinea pigs. Their hair care is a LOT maintenance though, and I have yet to heard of a piggy who likes getting brushed/having their hair trimmed. Definitely not for anyone looking for an easy companion :0)

Last edited:

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
I hope you find your piggies soon! As of right now I have two guinea pigs. Puddles, who I got from my boyfriends little sister. I kept his name the same because by them it suited him. And Drizzle, who I named to go along with Puddles. But my cage is large enough for 8 guinea pigs so I really do want another. I love guinea pigs a great deal and I've only owned them for a little over a month. You fall in love with them fast ^_^ although some behaviors are still strange and confusing to me I'm doing the best I can.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you find your loves soon!

Just an update from this. Drizzle and Puddles are in separate cages and my friend is looking after Drizzle. A few days after I got him he just stopped eating and was sneezing and scratching. My friend lives much closer to a vet (walking distance)

She has two guinea pigs of her own so I'm not worried about her mistreating him.

I'm hoping he gets better soon buy while I own 2 pigs you might see me say I only have one (for the time being) because in most contexts Drizzle doesn't really count.

I hope he gets better soon :( <3

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
https://www.petfinder.com/pet-searc...&primary_breed=guinea+pig&distance=&pet_name=

If the link won't load, go to Petfinder.com

Type in Boston, MA for the location, choose "Small and Furry" for the animal, and "Guinea Pig" for the breed. There are 23 guinea pigs in the Boston, MA area in need of a good home.

Craigslist ads-
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
THIS ONE IS A RESCUE (broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Have you thought about what happens if you get another guinea pig, and they don't get along after doing introductions?

This is why most of us *HIGHLY* recommend going the rescue route. They have you bring your guinea pig in, and do a match making service to find him a friend that he is compatible with. :)

Here is a rescue in Connecticut, which isn't terribly far I believe. (broken link removed)

If the links won't load on your cell, and you don't have a computer, then go to a library and use the internet/computers there.

Also, how big are your building your C&C cage to house 3 male piggies? We'd love to see pictures! :)

Personally, I love peruvian mix guinea pigs. Their hair care is a LOT maintenance though, and I have yet to heard of a piggy who likes getting brushed/having their hair trimmed. Definitely not for anyone looking for an easy companion :0)

Thank you ^_^ and yes I did give it some thought. If (when Drizzle or the third pig) don't get along with either of the two I planned on just taking the ramp and steps out of my cage. Closing the hole in the top and tadaa two cages :) both equally big and perfectly able to house them seperated. Then look into getting them each a friend they get on with. But after that if the pigs don't get along with a new GP I'll have to rehouse them.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you've thought everything through then! Good luck finding your new wheeker friend! :)

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you've thought everything through then! Good luck finding your new wheeker friend! :)

Thank you very much ^_^ I was thinking of getting Puddles fixed and getting him a female but after researching I'm on the fence about it :/ what do you think?

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I'm no expert in the slightest, but it seems like most cavy rescues I've researched consider neutering (and especially spaying), fairly risky surgeries. To the point, where it's my understanding, that they don't recommend it too often. It's not like cats and dogs, where it's a fairly common and *needed* surgery to prevent unwanted litters, health problems, etc. Granted, it can help prevent health problems as well, but there are more risks involved then with cats and dogs.

Here's a link with more information, and hopefully someone more informed can chime in with advice too :) https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Both spaying and neutering have risks, particularly spays. Why not just get another pig of the same sex and not put anybody through unnecessary, expensive surgery?

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
I'm no expert in the slightest, but it seems like most cavy rescues I've researched consider neutering (and especially spaying), fairly risky surgeries. To the point, where it's my understanding, that they don't recommend it too often. It's not like cats and dogs, where it's a fairly common and *needed* surgery to prevent unwanted litters, health problems, etc. Granted, it can help prevent health problems as well, but there are more risks involved then with cats and dogs.

Here's a link with more information, and hopefully someone more informed can chime in with advice too :) https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

Ya I know it's risky because he's so small. The smaller the pet the more risky the medicane they use to put them under is. He just is so finicky about other male pigs. And he's very possessive about what's his. I feel like he'd get on together with a mate he can't mate with?

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
Both spaying and neutering have risks, particularly spays. Why not just get another pig of the same sex and not put anybody through unnecessary, expensive surgery?

Because Puddles is a very very dominant pig. I'm scared he won't get on with another boar and I don't want pregnancies :( he gets on with a few males (my baby Drizzle before he got sick and they needed to be seperated) but it took a while to match him

pigger123

Cavy Slave
He might be more accepting of a baby, but then of course you have to deal with the bickering when baby goes through puberty. Many rescues will let you do "piggy speed dating" where you introduce them before you adopt the new pig so you can see whether they'll get along.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
He might be more accepting of a baby, but then of course you have to deal with the bickering when baby goes through puberty. Many rescues will let you do "piggy speed dating" where you introduce them before you adopt the new pig so you can see whether they'll get along.

What exactly should the line be? I get so nervous when he shows any signs of aggression at all I want to pull him as soon as there's nipping

Status
Not open for further replies.