Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Genesis Extruded Guinea Pig

pennyc

Cavy Slave
Lately I was looking for some other Guinea Pig pellets brands and i found this.
i'm not really good at analyzing whether is this a good product so i wanna ask the pros here.

guinea_rs300x343.jpg
GenGP.jpg

Crude Protein15.0 %
Crude Fat2.5 %
Crude Fibres18.0 %
Moisture10.0 %
Crude Ash6.39 %
Calcium0.80 %
Phosphorous0.50 %
Potassium1.19 %
Sodium0.20 %
Magnesium0.36 %
Omega 3 Fatty Acids0.04 %
Omega 6 Fatty Acids1.04 %

(broken link removed)17600 iu/kg
(broken link removed)2000 iu/kg
(broken link removed)600 mg/kg
(broken link removed)55 mg/kg

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
The first thing I saw is that it is very high in calcium, plus Im not quite sure if you can feed your pigs wheat/soy because it is in the ingredients.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use it because of the calcium content. That's double what it should be.

pennyc

Cavy Slave
The first thing I saw is that it is very high in calcium, plus Im not quite sure if you can feed your pigs wheat/soy because it is in the ingredients.
I wouldn't use it because of the calcium content. That's double what it should be.

luckily i came and ask about it first.
have you heard about harrington's?

Composition: Sunflower Ext., Wheatfeed, Grass, Oatfeed, Maize, Apple (4%), Grape (4%), Carob Meal, Vegetable Oil, Minerals, Yeast (0.1%).
Additives (Per Kg): Nutritional Additives: Vitamin A 23,500 iu, Vitamin D3 1,700 iu, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 95 mg, Vitamin C (ascorbyl monophosphate) 300 mg, Iron Sulphate Monohydrate 30 mg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 2.5 mg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 25 mg, Manganous Oxide 48 mg, Zinc Oxide 34 mg, Zinc Chelate 166 mg. Antioxidant.
Analytical Constituents: Protein 17%, Fat Content 4.5%, Crude Fibre 17%, Crude Ash 7%, Calcium 0.8%, Phosphorous 0.6%.

the calcium is also 0.8% so this is not very good too right? just to confirm

and how much calcium % is suitable for an adult gp so i can check out myself in the store before purchasing.

Thanks!:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Same calcium problem, plus the first ingredient in any guinea pig pellet should be hay. Ideally, the calcium content should be .4% or less, and the source should be something other than calcium carbonate (limestone).

Which country do you live in? Someone may be able to suggest a good pellet.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about access in other countries, but is there a reason you can't buy Oxbow or KMS pellets? I saw on your other thread that you were concerned about your pig getting bored with one pellet brand, but after some assurance from other members, you said you were planning to just go with Oxbow. However, I also keep seeing you asking about other pellets. Since the vast and knowledgeable membership of this site (as well as most rescues and other internet sources I've come across) has generally come to the consensus that those are, by far, the best two pellet brands, why keep looking? Unless you can't get the aforementioned brands, in which case, carry on.

pennyc

Cavy Slave
im from singapore.

im currently going to get her oxbow cavy cuisine because i just stopped giving her Hagen which is alfafa based.
just want to check out is there any other brand better than oxbow which also available in my country.

pennyc

Cavy Slave
unfortunately, i cant find any kms in my country
thats why im looking for more info around

anyway thanks for the advice!:D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oxbow's the best you'll find anywhere, except for KMS. Do watch your pigs to make sure they don't excrete a lot of calcium. If they do, you may have to take them off pellets completely.

starrgazerr

Cavy Slave
if you're afraid of them not liking a pellet, they will certainly like a hay one more than anything else. when i gave my adopted piggie fresh hay after him being without it for who knows how long he popcorned with joy. they like the hay don't worry. :) if you think they'll get bored give them different varieties of veggies!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
How do you know if your pigs are excreting too much calcium, @bpatters ?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
White spots in the cage where the urine has dried. You'll never get completely rid of them, because guinea pigs always excrete calcium in their urine. But the spots should be very faint. If they're not, you need to address their diets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.