Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Two-story cages

k5mow

Cavy Slave
Good evening all

Me and my wife are looking at the guinea pig cages.com. We are interested in getting a new cage for our new coming guinea pig. We both like the two-story cages the one with a little room at the top but we are both worried about the guinea pig falling from the ramp or from the top story. What do you all think of this.

Also I noticed there are a lot of cages with no cover. What do you think of having a cage with no cover can they get out.

Thank you all very much

Roger

wombats

Cavy Slave
So long as the loft also has grids all around, as shown for example purposes here: https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/deluxe-guinea-pig-cages , they should be fine. If you are worried they might fall from the very top of the ramp, you can put grids out like this person did ( https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/506/cage6-1.jpg ) for extra precaution. And yes, most cages don't have covers. Guinea pigs are (typically) not climbers, with the exception of determined boars next to a sow's cage. In that case, they might actually succeed in climbing over, and sometimes there really are just exceptional pigs that manage to climb out.

Otherwise, lids aren't too necessary unless you have cats, dogs, or young children. However, if you're that worried it doesn't hurt to add a lid! A wire closet shelf cut and filed to size with grids along the back with zip ties for a hinge is a cheap and effective way of making a cover. You could even use the scrap pieces from the shelf to make a separate lid for the loft. Just remember not all guinea pigs like to use ramps, and if they do, the more gentle the slope, the better. Also make sure when you make your cage or buy one that it is big enough for two guinea pigs. Unless you are adopting a pig that is specifically not supposed to be housed with others, often because of aggression issues, getting your upcoming guinea pig a friend is a must, so their cage should be big enough for both of them. Just remember it's floorspace, not loftspace, that counts. A 2x5 with a 2x2 loft houses the same amount of guinea pigs as a 2x5 without one.

I'm really glad you two are hoping to get a c and c cage though--they're absolutely fantastic and I wish you both the best of luck with your upcoming piggy too. :) be sure to post lots of pictures when you get them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, be aware that pigs are herd animals, and they're much happier in pairs or larger herds. Buy a cage large enough for two, at least, and know that more space is always better where pigs are concerned.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@wombats that is a crazy ramp in that picture! What's it made of?

wombats

Cavy Slave
Absolutely no idea hahaha!
I just got it off of google images to show how they added the grids. I didn't even see it until you mentioned it and I honestly have no idea how they set up support for it. How does that ramp stay up? Wire? Grids? Wood? Magic? I just do not know.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Lol...okie dokie.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@wombats that is a crazy ramp in that picture! What's it made of?

My Ramp is made from 2 grids, I used Zipties to make it a little fexable then I lined it with fleece, My boar seems not to mind it too much he hasnt tried jumping off. Once he has the other boar with him I will expand the Loft so they have an extra kitchen if needed :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
My Ramp is made from 2 grids, I used Zipties to make it a little fexable then I lined it with fleece, My boar seems not to mind it too much he hasnt tried jumping off. Once he has the other boar with him I will expand the Loft so they have an extra kitchen if needed :)

Oh, is that your cage pictured?

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Oh, is that your cage pictured?

Oh no, that was when I got her, she wasin a small cage during quarentine. I will upload a photo later as I don't haven't uploaded the recent ones from my phone yet! :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
My apologies, I thought you were quoting me and telling me about your ramp because it was the one pictured. I know how to make basic ramps. The one pictured above is just crazy looking. Not in a bad way mind you, just looks like one of those carnival slides you go down in a sack. [emoji6]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.