Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Thinking of going pellet less

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
So I really want to go pellet less for two reasons:

1)Oxbow Pellets are super expensive and my girls waste a lot

2)I don't want then to form stones

So my question is, how do I go pellet less? Do I ease them off? Cold turkey? What veggies should I feed? I know a wide variety. Right now the all the time food is: romaine lettuce, green bell peppers, red bell peppers. The every other day foods are: carrot, yellow bell pepper and cucumber (because they looooovvvveeee cucumber and I only give a very small slice) and the sometimes foods are: watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, tomato, cilantro, and straw berry

I'm willing to do veggies 3x a day and they have 2 hay racks (a bag and a grid vertical). So can I go pellet less if I add more veggies and should I ease them off or go cold turkey?

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave
I started doing this about 4 years ago and they only eat hay and veggies. What I did was I gave them less and less and finally I just quit giving them to them. I feed them every time I eat which is three times a day. The only thing they like are bell pepper, spring mix, carrots, and apples. So that is what I give them. Not every time but I usually give them apples and peppers as treats every once in awhile. They also like cucumbers. So I would start giving them some kind of lettuce.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're worried about calcium, get them off the romaine and switch to red or green leaf lettuce.

But I have to tell you, stones have a strong genetic component, and it may not be possible to keep your pigs from developing one. All you can do is lessen their chances with diet, but it's not a sure bet.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay! I really would like to lessen chances. I've been really strict about what they do, if they're pooping, etc since Mocha died. I'll ease them off as I'm almost done any way and then I'll go to the farmers market tomorrow.

Oh and I feed both green leaf and romaine so just green leaf from now on? @bpatters

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're worried about calcium, get them off the romaine and switch to red or green leaf lettuce.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you! I'll get started on the switch!

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
What are the pros or benefits of not feeding pellets? Just cost?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Cost, less chance of forming stones, that's all I can think of. I've actually been thinking about this for 2 - 3 weeks now and looking at old threads and I really would rather be safe then sorry[emoji4]

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Wait Mocha died?? So sorry! :(

Yes Mocha died in January from soft tissue trauma. There's a thread that I posted 2 weeks after her death in memory and I think I explained on her medical thread as well. (I don't know how to link threads)

Thank you for the link!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Your welcome! I guess I wan't on the forum much in January...

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
I want my piggies to go pelletless too, since i have a garden with lots of greens, and since ingredients in pellets (even oxbow) are not something that is healthy for them. Limestone? Doesn't it sound like something that can form stones? And what about wheat and soy? Anyway, my only concern would be vit D, because it is not in plants and they do not spend much time in the sun. I have a quality human vit. D supplement, but their dose must be tiny...How much i understand, there is no official dose set at all. Do you have any more information about it? Or at least an idea of how much would be needed? Do I just divide himan dose into 150 or so :)? Also, how would I make them eat it (they are oily drops.) I suppose I could smear them on the cut up veggies and maybe hanfeed that piece to make sure they each get it.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, I also wanted to say, give your piggies just well filtered water (like reverse osmosis, they sell it in water machines), and not bottled water (unless it is distilled). Did you see deposits on tea kettle, if using tap water? Well, just imagine, when those deposits end of in our or piggies bodies. I use reverse osmosis water only and never have deposits in my tea kettle. I also give it to my piggies.

Edited by bpatters: Do NOT give distilled water to any animal. It actually leaches the minerals out of their bones and other body systems, and leaves them subject to fractures and other problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Actually, according to my vet I wasn't supposed to pellets less because pellets have minerals that need to be moving constantly through their body (also why they would need more then 1/8th cup and I have multiple confirmed sources on this). So I wouldn't suggest pellet unless you less your pig has developed stones

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
they would need more then 1/8th cup and I have multiple confirmed sources on this

And what are those sources?

From Oxbow, about their pellets: "Feed 1/8 cup pellets daily in addition to unlimited grass hay."

From the Humane Society: "Commercial food: About 1/8 cup of pellets once a day, supplemented by hay and fresh vegetables as described below, will be enough."

From Guinea Lynx: One-eighth cup per pig per day.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
2 experienced exotic vets and my pig sitter who fosters for two Rescues and she said that what she was told. I still only fill the bottom of the bowl lightly (since it's long).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most vets don't have guinea pigs as pets, and they're going off what their veterinary books say. Those books are based on feeding schedules for laboratory animals, not personal pets. And since I don't know anything your pig sitter, I won't comment on that, but she's not a credible source as far as I'm concerned. But I will say that the majority of sources recommend only 1/8 cup of of pellets per day per pig.

They're the least important part of a pig's diet, and are merely a convenient way to give them vitamins and minerals. The value of pellets can easily be replaced by careful attention to the vegetables and hay that the pig eats, with occasional vitamin supplements for older pigs.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
@bpatters - Okay. My vet does have two pigs for a pet. Like I said, I don't over fill, just shallowy (did I spell that right?) fill it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.