Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Drained A Cyst, What Caused It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@savannahsatchel Check out Muffin's thread, I put a photo of my little troopers!

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
Is there a way to search for it again? Sorry, I'm fairly new to navigating this site.. lol

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
It's in the 'recent posts' on the top of the forum home page :)

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@GuineasGalore, it's not really a service to guinea pigs to take in more than you can adequately provide for. And when you take a pet, you assume the responsibility for its medical care as well as feeding and housing it -- that's all part of the package. So maybe you should find good homes for some of your pigs and work on establishing a fund for medical treatment for the ones you keep.

That pig needs a vet and antibiotics if you want it to get well. If you want to run the risk of it dying because the infection spreads inward, then keep doing what you're doing, which isn't medical treatment at all.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
This girl definitely needs to see a vet.

Not to sound harsh but failure to provide necessary medical care is classified as animal cruelty, which is a crime in Australia.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
You know what guys, I hate being defensive but in the case I will be.

Im im doing my best for these guinea pigs, and if I was a bad owner then they'd be dropping by the dozen!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
You know what guys, I hate being defensive but in the case I will be.

Im im doing my best for these guinea pigs, and if I was a bad owner then they'd be dropping by the dozen!

Not necessarily true. I worked in a pet store, and I've seen some pretty bad owners who had pigs live for many years. They can live despite their bad conditions. But living doesn't mean thriving or even healthily living. Look at my Daisy who I adopted from a home that waited a year to see if her infection would kill her before I came along and took her. They met me at the pet store I worked at and I was telling them about my pigs, and they told me about theirs and asked if I'd take her. The infection didn't kill her but she spent the last year of her life in horrible pain. Once she came to me she was dying of cancer, so all I could do was offer pain relief. Infections are nothing to ignore.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Not necessarily true. I worked in a pet store, and I've seen some pretty bad owners who had pigs live for many years. They can live despite their bad conditions. But living doesn't mean thriving or even healthily living. Look at my Daisy who I adopted from a home that waited a year to see if her infection would kill her before I came along and took her. They met me at the pet store I worked at and I was telling them about my pigs, and they told me about theirs and asked if I'd take her. The infection didn't kill her but she spent the last year of her life in horrible pain. Once she came to me she was dying of cancer, so all I could do was offer pain relief. Infections are nothing to ignore.

My guinea pigs are healthy. They have a balanced diet, are healthy weights, have good fur, clear eyes and super friendly. I'm putting my foot down here, I'm a good owner. Just because they live outdoors doesn't mean I'm a bad owner! I tried having them inside and they HATED it!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are healthy. They have a balanced diet, are healthy weights, have good fur, clear eyes and super friendly. I'm putting my foot down here, I'm a good owner. Just because they live outdoors doesn't mean I'm a bad owner! I tried having them inside and they HATED it!

That's not what people are talking about here. People are saying that part of being a good owner is getting your animals vet care when they need it. I have no idea what that lump is, I have no idea what it could be, but I do know that people who are 1) experienced with guinea pig medical problems and 2) experienced with the medical field in general, are saying you need to take her to the vet. By ignoring the advice of people who are experienced you are showing yourself to be negligent in respect to your animals medical needs. You can tell yourself all you want how awesome you are if it makes you feel better, but it's not actually about you. It's about your animals needs.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
That's not what people are talking about here. People are saying that part of being a good owner is getting your animals vet care when they need it. I have no idea what that lump is, I have no idea what it could be, but I do know that people who are 1) experienced with guinea pig medical problems and 2) experienced with the medical field in general, are saying you need to take her to the vet. By ignoring the advice of people who are experienced you are showing yourself to be negligent in respect to your animals medical needs. You can tell yourself all you want how awesome you are if it makes you feel better, but it's not actually about you. It's about your animals needs.

Has no-one read all my messages?? Of course I WANT to take her to a vet! Its my mum saying she "isn't worth it" and I'm sick of taking the blame. If it gets worse, I'll pay for it my damn self and walk to the vet if I need to!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
If it gets worse you probably won't get her to the vet alive.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Has no-one read all my messages?? Of course I WANT to take her to a vet! Its my mum saying she "isn't worth it" and I'm sick of taking the blame. If it gets worse, I'll pay for it my damn self and walk to the vet if I need to!

Yes, we read you want to take her to the vet. Wanting and doing are two separate things. If you are a minor and your parents allowed you to get a guinea pig than they are responsible for ensuring that animal has all it's needs met, just as you are responsible for ensuring that your family/you are in a position to meet those needs. Taking care of animals is more than loving them, socializing with them, and offering daily care. There are also some really unfun/expensive things that we have to do as animal owners.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave

I know you love your pets, and it sounds like you dote on them and want to do the best for them. The problem is not that your parents won't let you take this particular sick pig to the vet. The problem is that you have taken so many into your care knowing that you may not be able to provide adequate veterinary care for them when the inevitable happens. And believe me, with 17 pigs living outside, it is amazing you don't have at least one at all times in need of expensive medical care.

When you live with your parents and they support you financially, you live by their rules. And that's the way it should be. Before bringing in a pet you should make an honest conversation with your parents about the responsibility you are taking on and if they are reluctant to pay for vet care and you cannot pay for it yourself, then you need to make a grown-up decision about whether it is in the pet's best interest to be in your care.

Parents refusing to pay for pig vet care is a familiar refrain on this board so I say this not only to you, but to anyone out there thinking about getting a pig who will have to rely on their parents to pay potentially expensive vet care should something go wrong.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I know you love your pets, and it sounds like you dote on them and want to do the best for them. The problem is not that your parents won't let you take this particular sick pig to the vet. The problem is that you have taken so many into your care knowing that you may not be able to provide adequate veterinary care for them when the inevitable happens. And believe me, with 17 pigs living outside, it is amazing you don't have at least one at all times in need of expensive medical care.

When you live with your parents and they support you financially, you live by their rules. And that's the way it should be. Before bringing in a pet you should make an honest conversation with your parents about the responsibility you are taking on and if they are reluctant to pay for vet care and you cannot pay for it yourself, then you need to make a grown-up decision about whether it is in the pet's best interest to be in your care.

Parents refusing to pay for pig vet care is a familiar refrain on this board so I say this not only to you, but to anyone out there thinking about getting a pig who will have to rely on their parents to pay potentially expensive vet care should something go wrong.

that is very helpful :)
I've saved about $40 for her so far, just a bit to go before I'm taking her in to the vet!

On an unrelated note, I love your username! XD

tobyandheidi

Cavy Slave
Poor girl. Praying for your little piggie <3

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
that is very helpful :)
I've saved about $40 for her so far, just a bit to go before I'm taking her in to the vet!

On an unrelated note, I love your username! XD

Thanks! Best of luck to you and the piggie. Hoping she gets better soon.

Poop patrol and provider of the pepper is probably how my pigs would describe me if they could talk.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Thanks! Best of luck to you and the piggie. Hoping she gets better soon.

Poop patrol and provider of the pepper is probably how my pigs would describe me if they could talk.

If mine could talk I'd probably be the harvest goddess. XD

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I would suggest posting a flyer at your vet office, if allowed, to find someone who can try to care for the pig. You have reached a point you can't provide necessary care. Just because it's your parents refusing instead of you doesn't change the fact you can't provide care. I don't know if it's best to rehome the others you have until you can afford vet visits but this particular one it would be best to see if someone would be willing to get the pig on antibiotics and knows how to clean the abscess. Someone at the vet office might even take the pig because antibiotics are cheap when you don't have to pay an exam and visit fee. $20-$40 instead of $100s.

Status
Not open for further replies.