Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Harri has a chest infection. Quarantine required?

Kimicub

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
One of my piggies makes this weird almost crackling noise whenever she breathes, other than that shes a happy, always eating and active chubster. I have taken her to the vet who has given us Baytril to treat a chest infection twice a day for 5 days. She also said I should try having Harri in the bathroom with me when I shower for the steam.

Just wanted to check because I forgot to ask. Should i quarantine her? I dont want her to be on her own but if it means keeping everyone healthy should I?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My own philosophy is not to separate unless it's to protect the sick pig, such as after surgery or if they're too ill to tolerate the attentions of the cage mates. The others have already been thoroughly exposed to whatever she's got, she's on medication which means she won't be contagious after a very short time. I think the stress of separation is worse than the threat of more illnesses.

Kimicub

Cavy Slave
My own philosophy is not to separate unless it's to protect the sick pig, such as after surgery or if they're too ill to tolerate the attentions of the cage mates. The others have already been thoroughly exposed to whatever she's got, she's on medication which means she won't be contagious after a very short time. I think the stress of separation is worse than the threat of more illnesses.
Thank you. Didnt want to have separate her so that's good to know.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.