Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I don't think 2x5 cage will be big enough for 3 boys. Levels don't count towards the square footage. Reducing the size of the main level may cause your pigs to fight.

Natalie Boyle

Cavy Slave
I don't think 2x5 cage will be big enough for 3 boys. Levels don't count towards the square footage. Reducing the size of the main level may cause your pigs to fight.

I get what you mean but the one thing my pigs fought the most over was sleeping space (for a few months I had 2 pigloos, a cardboard box with 2 holes cut into it and a cozy sack in the cage but my boys were picky where they slept and would fight over "rights" to a sleeping spot). They stopped fighting practically overnight after I removed their pigloos after I last switched out the fleece and modified the cage setup. Now they don't really fight but occasionally Gus will want to try and exert his "role" as the alpha by coming up behind Carlos and pester him, then they chase each other around the cage and there is some teeth chattering but they never get physically violent to the point I should be worried. And sometimes Barely wants to be alone and goes to the second level and gets annoyed when Gus comes up to pester him. Other than that they rarely fight compared to how they were when I first got them and after I modified their cage around 2 months ago.

And I would like to make the cage all one level and make it really big but I'm not allowed to keep them anywhere else in the house except my bedroom and I have limited space there.

emhinsch

Cavy Slave
Mine isn't very interesting, but the girls seem to like it. C&C 2x4 on a 1 grid stand.

20160108_180433.jpg20160108_180425.jpg

peachyteen

Cavy Slave

Lyndseyjo3

Cavy Slave
Hi. We just received our very first 2 male Guinea pigs today. I have a question about the cages. I notice a lot of y'all use fleece on the floor. How is that to clean up? And I see y'all have "kitchens" is that better got clean up. I'm new to this. Never had anything like this before.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Hi. We just received our very first 2 male Guinea pigs today. I have a question about the cages. I notice a lot of y'all use fleece on the floor. How is that to clean up? And I see y'all have "kitchens" is that better got clean up. I'm new to this. Never had anything like this before.

There are great threads on this forum about using fleece. Search "fleece" and read up. You need to have something under the fleece to absorb the urine. Best option is uhaul moving pads. Not the blankets, but they have these pads made from recycled denim. They're at uhaul stores or online. Not very expensive and work awesome! Keeps odors way down. Two layers of that and a layer of fleece. The threads you find should explain about "wicking". You have to wash the fleece a certain way to get it to wick the urine, or pull it down to the absorbent material. Then just scoop the poops daily and wash the fleece and uhaul pads weekly. I prefer using the fleece but with wood pellets under as the absorbent material. Search wood pellets too to read about that. It's the cheapest option and works best too in my opinion.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
I use a fleece blanket with a towel underneath. it's pretty easy to clean up, just have to sweep the poops up once a day and wash both the fleece and towel in the washer once a week.

ahotchicken

Cavy Slave
Love the tote used for the litter box!

ahotchicken

Cavy Slave
Here's my cage. I made a 2nd liner out of that daisy fabric to use alternately as the other one gets washed.

Don't mind the black plastic hideys. They keep moving them all over the place.:rolleyes:

View attachment 57423
Absolutely love the loft, what is it?

Zhuria

Cavy Slave
Super excited to be able to brag about my cage! When I adopted him he came with a non-C&C cage and of course I had to remedy that (I have always hoped to one day have room for guinea pigs and to be able to build a C&C - note that I don't have room, but I MADE room LOL!). It's 2x4 with a 1-high stand for storage underneath and so that he wasn't sitting directly on the floor. I built the cage 1-2 weeks ago and then the past two nights I spent upwards of 8 hours sewing the flippers and litter box covers. I had a proper litter box with litter in it but he would kick it out and it was an ungodly mess, so I went for these washable ones instead (each box has a spare cover for when one is in the wash; there are also two spare flippers for that reason). He is loving the corner boxes and using them perfectly since those were his toilet places beforehand! I LOVE the all-fleece look!

1tVKoJg.jpg

Wieps_Piggies

Cavy Slave
We build this cavy tower a couple of months ago because we have small apartment and had to go in hight rather than m². All the floors can be connected via a ramp.

We Iive in Holland and these kind of cages are a lot more seen than the cube ones.

We also have a smaller one with 2 floors. Because we need more I made a loft on the roof of their house haha. When the glue is set we are going to strip the existing floors and finish it the same as the black one.
uploadfromtaptalk1453062664147.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1453062008908.jpg

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
I added onto my cage... AGAIN! lol The first is a picture of when I first added a 1X2 loft to my 2X4 a few months ago:

View attachment 39181

Then this past weekend, after realizing the 1X2 kitchen loft was not quite big enough for my two girls anymore, I decided to expand it. I wanted to do a 2X2 with 1X2 overhanging, but I would have to move the loft to the other end of the cage, and then it would be hanging over my bed. So, I just made it a 1X3, which seems spacious enough:

View attachment 39182

I also moved their ramp from the far side of the cage to almost the middle of the cage. I put their pigloos against the 1X2 wall underneath of the kitchen loft... So now they basically have a whole 2X3 on the bottom that is cleared to do laps in, with no ramp in the way, and they are really happy about that!! :) Bridget (Buffy's momma) has been popcorning and doing laps around it, which I haven't seen her do in a long, long time since she was just a little thing. It's amazing how excited piggies get over the simplest changes. lol

View attachment 39183

Here they are all tired out after all of the excitement!

Bridget:

View attachment 39184

Buffy:

View attachment 39185
your cage is so awesome...where did you find that cute fleece?

jgunnoe

Cavy Slave
your cage is so awesome...where did you find that cute fleece?

Thank you! It looks totally different now. The girls still have the 2X4 main level, but the kitchen loft is a 2X2, and I made an exterior ramp to give them more room on the inside. And underneath them, I built on a rabbit cage to house my Holland Lop. :)

Geez, I think I may have ordered the fleece online from Hancock Fabrics. But that's been over 3 years ago, so I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure that's where I found it, though. I think it was some of their "glacier fleece", and they have a lot of cute prints. :)

ch377yb

Cavy Slave
Heres my c&c cage, trying to save so i can get more grids to build storage underneath so its not on the floor & get some more toys for my boys 💖🐹🐹❤️
image.jpg

NewyPiggie

Cavy Gazer
Hi! So you have two piggies? How big is the cage for them?

ch377yb

Cavy Slave
Hi! So you have two piggies? How big is the cage for them?

Yh i do, I have 2 boys, the biggest I could afford (as well as space in my little flat!!) was a 2X4 cage they love it!

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
New cage is done! 2x5 with a 2x2 loft. I use wood pellets under fleece. My boys love it. It's been a while since I had a loft and just love when they race up and down the ramp! My Brownie has been so much more active since getting a new cage mate and now a ramp again! I got a window for upstairs! Love that too. I'm thinking about adding one more.

642cdc1cac4b05deb1635164a3fafb98.jpg

fe1647e6f14654ce8317c1c06e5ef5e5.jpg

f63ef936ac8269ae66a6ad5a9a5dc080.jpg

dc843d2715ef42762f187d3efdeac7d7.jpg

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
New cage is done! 2x5 with a 2x2 loft. I use wood pellets under fleece. My boys love it. It's been a while since I had a loft and just love when they race up and down the ramp! My Brownie has been so much more active since getting a new cage mate and now a ramp again! I got a window for upstairs! Love that too. I'm thinking about adding one more.

642cdc1cac4b05deb1635164a3fafb98.jpg

fe1647e6f14654ce8317c1c06e5ef5e5.jpg

f63ef936ac8269ae66a6ad5a9a5dc080.jpg

dc843d2715ef42762f187d3efdeac7d7.jpg

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.