Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How many Uhaul pads to use

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Hi! I am looking into buying a C&C cage for my two pigs. I am just wondering how many Uhaul pads I need to order?

My two pigs have hated each other the whole five years I've had them but I think I was introducing them wrong. I'm hoping by introducing them in This new cage with lots of veggies will hopefully make them make ends with each other lol

The cage will be in my room and I was planning to buy enough fleece and Uhaul pads to change it out every night so my room won't smell like pig. I don't mind the hay smell but pee and poo is not something I'd like to sleep with. I was thinking of using two Uhaul pads and a layer of fleece and change it every day. Will that work? Or will I need more pads?

Thank you!

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
How big will the cage be? The smaller the cage the more it will smell! Since you plan on changing the pads every day, I think you should use 1 layer of Uhaul in your fleece instead of two. Having thick fleece liners seems only beneficial if you plan on keeping them in the cage for multiple days. You should look into pellets if you are worried about smell, apparently they block out all smells and need to be changed very rarely (I'm talking months)! Not to mention, they are extremely cheap.

To answer your question though, it really depends on how big of a CC cage you plan on getting. I'm sure the cage and Uhaul liners have dimensions listed on their respective websites. You can use that information to calculate how many pads you need to order.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If you are going to have the cage in your room, other than having scrupulous "cage hygiene", the absolute best investment you can make is a quality air purifier. I have the Homedics brand that I purchased from Bed, Bath & Beyond (with a 20% off coupon), and it has been running 24/7 for six years without a hiccup!

The small unit will probably be enough for your bedroom. These units are not cheap, but consider it an investment as it will last and last. The filters are difficult to find, but can be ordered online. I take the easily-removable filter out once a month, brush it, and replace it yearly. BTW, pay no attention to the one glaring negative review......this person must have bought a defective unit and never bothered to return it. Too bad as BBB is quite generous with returns.

(broken link removed)

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
The cage will be a 2x4. So should I use one uhaul pad and wood pellets underneath? Or am I just worrying too much about the smell.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure you don't need pellets AND Uhaul pads. They both serve to absorb urine (and smell). @bpatters has been using wood pellets for quite some time and vouches for it, perhaps she can explain it better for you. Also, I think you might be worrying a little too much about smell. I can't speak for everybody, but I don't find that guinea pigs smell bad. Their poops are pretty much odorless. Take one of their poops out and smell it. I also don't find that their urine smells at all. The only thing that smells (for me) is their hay, especially when it is wet from urine. I use fleece liners and I only change them once a week. I just make sure to scoop out poops and wet hay every morning and night.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no need for a uhaul pad if you use pellets -- they serve as the absorbent layer, and are excellent at odor control.

I do put a layer of light fleece over the pellets, but only because it makes it easier to clean up the cage. I just roll the fleece up and shake everything out. The pellets get stirred every couple of months.

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Oh okay awesome! Thank you [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] and [MENTION=42243]Snugglybutt[/MENTION] for the clarification. I have ordered pretty much everything for the cage and am getting the fleece layers tomorrow at joanns. My new plan is to just use a fleece layer and a uhaul pad daily. Youre right, their poops dont smell. Just urine buildup does. I want to completely avoid that and I think changing it as often as I can will be my solution. Thank you! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.