Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Dyed piggies . What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Those two in the photos DO remind me of My Little Pony (Thanks @CavySpirit. Was trying to think of what it made me think of). My only concern would be, even if someone didn't use chemicals, even if let's say they used kool-aid, it's something the pig would ingest if they went to groom themselves. Since kool-aid is basically sugar, it's probably not a good idea for them to be licking it. I know dog groomers who dye, use food coloring.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Doing it every day or even every week or month for s & g? Not okay. Doing it once or once in a while for a photo op with safe dye? Totally not my thing and nothing I'd bother with, but definitely nothing to be outraged or crying animal cruelty over, either.

Oh no, it's a far cry from being animal cruelty or even to be outraged over. I just think it's contradictory when we try to teach others like only bathing when necessary and to use special shampoos and such for our guinea pigs health and proper care of their skin and then say it's okay to cover them in chemicals (like kool-aid) and give them extra baths so they look cute and take a photo op.

Dogs are another issue however, safely done, I see no issue as they generally won't have problems with an extra bath or two. It's just guinea pigs with their sensitive skin that can easily dry out that worries me.

Just my opinion though, I could be the only one to think this way I guess.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
and then say it's okay to cover them in chemicals (like kool-aid)

LOL while kool-aid isn't the healthiest thing, I don't think I would put it in the same category as chemicals used in say, human hair dye.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
There's a very simple question that should be asked when something like this happens.

Can guinea pigs drink Kool-Aid?
Ans. No.

Since they self-groom and could ingest it, I think it's pretty clear that dying them with it will not be good for their health. If it were done with something like beetroot juice, it might at least be safe. I have no interest in dyeing my pigs (one is predominantly white so it would actually work) but if anybody does, then sure, as long as it is safe. A lot of people have allergic reactions to what are labelled 'food-grade' dyes so I wouldn't risk it on a pet, especially guinea pigs as they are so fragile and can go downhill so fast.

Besides, that's a very bright and unnatural shade of pink - it would look awful with my fleece. :p

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
LOL while kool-aid isn't the healthiest thing, I don't think I would put it in the same category as chemicals used in say, human hair dye.

No, of course it's not in the same category but it IS still a chemical, so is the Ivermectin we use and other things that are necessary at some points. I don't like using those as well, but I do as necessary for the health and safety of my pigs.

It's not going to kill the pig of course or cause irreparable damage (hopefully, don't really see that happening though) but it is unnecessary and can cause discomfort by chemical irritation and/or the extra bathing and I don't see the point in possibly causing this to your piggie to purely satisfy ones interest in a colorful pig.

It's not for me personally, but for others, it's cute, I can see that but like I keep trying to get across, I don't get why you would potentially put your pig in a position of possibly being irritated just for your own curiosity, boredom or whatever reason it is done.

Anyway, not trying to stand on a soap box, just legitimately don't understand why.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I am not touching this discussion about colouring or putting clothes on animals with a ten-foot pole, but what @Tensonstar said about ADHD got my attention. Artificial food colours etc do NOT give children ADHD. They may aggravate symptoms or even cause people to seem like they have ADHD while maybe they really do not have ADHD, just like the articles say. There are already so many misconceptions about ADHD/ADD out there, no need to add more.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
@SardonicSmile Thank you for correcting me! ment to say aggravtes! didnt mean to confuse anyone! but still wouldnt recommend putting something that dose that to human on your piggies.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Can guinea pigs drink Kool-Aid?
Ans. No.
Can they? Sure. Should they? No, definitely not.

I think the potential harm or sugar-high a pig might experience from self-grooming the small amount of KoolAid residue left on the fur is ridiculously low and the likelihood of it causing any long (or even short) term damage is similarly ridiculously low. You run a much higher risk of potential harm and long-term damage by feeding pellets or veggies that aren't suitable, and of course people do that all the time, sometimes for long periods of time, and often with no long term damage or effect to the animal. In terms of relativity, dying a pig with KoolAid or another safe method isn't nearly as problematic as some of the other things that ill-informed or ill-suited caretakers often do.

It's not going to kill the pig of course or cause irreparable damage (hopefully, don't really see that happening though) but it is unnecessary and can cause discomfort by chemical irritation and/or the extra bathing and I don't see the point in possibly causing this to your piggie to purely satisfy ones interest in a colorful pig.
The "harm" of bathing is really subject to debate. I know a lot of folks like to cite the damage or potential damage to skin with bathing and over-bathing, but you can't accept everything that's stated in this or any community as fact and you have to realize that some things are over-exaggerated or otherwise blown out of proportion (particularly on internet forums like this one). It's common sense that over-bathing anything is going to cause dry skin or other irritation, as well as using a shampoo or conditioner that isn't suitable, but the notion that the "one extra" or unnecessary bath that would be needed to wash the (safe) dye from the pig's fur would cause irreparable harm to a guinea pig is not realistic.

I guess, for me, if it were a person dying their pig (or dog or cat for that matter) a different color every day, that would be problematic. Doing it once or twice (yes, for the simple reason of a photo op) is just fun (for some people) and bathing the pig to remove it isn't going to do any harm.

xanima

Cavy Slave
I don´t like it.
It´s not even so much the risk they could be allergic to the color or something (but I am really against even bathing without a real good reason so even that is a strong reason). I just think it´s kind of undignified. They are living animals and not toys. Don´t like costums for the same reason.

And as this has been mentioned somewhere along this thread:
Yes, I do cut my longhairs- but I do it for their sake, so they don´t have to carry tons of fur with them and I don´t have to stress them with brushing. If it would be only about the looks I would keep them longhaired.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
The "harm" of bathing is really subject to debate. I know a lot of folks like to cite the damage or potential damage to skin with bathing and over-bathing, but you can't accept everything that's stated in this or any community as fact and you have to realize that some things are over-exaggerated or otherwise blown out of proportion (particularly on internet forums like this one). It's common sense that over-bathing anything is going to cause dry skin or other irritation, as well as using a shampoo or conditioner that isn't suitable, but the notion that the "one extra" or unnecessary bath that would be needed to wash the (safe) dye from the pig's fur would cause irreparable harm to a guinea pig is not realistic.

Lol, ain't that the truth! Thanks for the insight, sometimes I truly just like to know what others logic is on certain things, I can tend to be a bit close minded but open enough to realize it and want to learn. :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I bathe felix weekly, and I've yet to see him dye from it.

I don't think it harms him. He needs his weekly butt bath to keep him clean. He's a white pig, who is very very messy. He has a hyperactive grease gland. It needs washing every week.

I really don't see the point in the arguing. I agree with @Paula, I don't see it harmful if it's done a few times.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I bathe felix weekly, and I've yet to see him dye from it.

I don't think it harms him. He needs his weekly butt bath to keep him clean. He's a white pig, who is very very messy. He has a hyperactive grease gland. It needs washing every week.

I really don't see the point in the arguing. I agree with @Paula , I don't see it harmful if it's done a few times.

Nobody said they would die from frequent baths, at least not me anyways unless there was some weird freak incident.

My point was that bathing, when necessary, even frequently, makes sense. You are possibly causing an irritation of their skin, but for a necessary reason, lesser of two evils per se. Bathing, because you have a desire to make your pig pink, is unnecessary and you are possibly causing an irritation of their skin because you want to make them...pretty? Will it absolutely cause detrimental harm, no, probably not. Could it have a miniscule chance of irritating your pigs skin, sure. So if there is a small chance to cause an irritation to your pig just because you are bored and want a pink pig, I just don't see the point of it. Not to say, I'd judge others for it, just not for me and how I choose to take care of my pigs. Just like I choose not to let my kids drink kool-aid either. Won't kill them, but it could cause a reaction due to the chemicals and it's not worth it to me.

Not really an argument, just a discussion with varying viewpoints really. Which was why it was posted in the first place, to be discussed, no?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I just think it´s kind of undignified. They are living animals and not toys. Don´t like costums for the same reason.
I don't get the thought that it's undignified or disrespectful unless it's an animal that could care one way or the other. And, since I assume that anyone who would be tickled by dying their pig certainly wouldn't be doing so to publicly shame him/her in front of his piggy peers, I just can't see it really being a real problem.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I don't get the thought that it's undignified or disrespectful unless it's an animal that could care one way or the other. And, since I assume that anyone who would be tickled by dying their pig certainly wouldn't be doing so to publicly shame him/her in front of his piggy peers, I just can't see it really being a real problem.
Well, pet shaming IS a big trend right now: Pet and Dog Shaming - Join The Fun & Shame Your Pet

A quick perusal didn't turn up any dyed guinea pig photos, but you never know. :p

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Mufasa's got a good point there, don't give @CavySpirit any ideas or we may end up with the theme of the week being "Piggy Shaming"

mufasa

Cavy Gazer

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I wasn't trying to be argumentative either. The point of this thread was to discuss dyeing a pig's hair, and I said I wouldn't do it. Just my personal opinion. I happen to think it's disrespectful, but if others don't that's totally fine. I'm not pressuring anyone to see things the way I see them, just as people shouldn't pressure me into seeing things their way. I don't think it's abusive, I just would never modify my own pet in a meaningless way just for my own pleasure. I do dress my dogs in clothes when it's cold. They love to wear their sweaters and get really happy and excited while wearing them. They also seem very proud to be in their sweaters, which I think is really cute! I also trim my pigs' hair. In our case, hair trimming is something that needs to be done. They are much more comfortable when their hair is trimmed and they are less likely to get UTIs. Grooming like this is something that needs to be done. Dyeing a pigs hair colour doesn't need to be done, so I wouldn't do it. If other people feel the need to, go right ahead. I won't judge anyone who does and I never did in my previous posts. I am simply saying that I personally would feel wrong doing so. Other people can say I'm ridiculous thinking that it's disrespectful, and that's fine! I reserve the right to have my own opinion, and so does everyone else on here! So if you want to dye your pig's hair, I certainly would never stop you. The OP was asking if others would dye their pigs, and I gave my answer and my own personal reason why.

Individuality is what makes the world go 'round. :)

xanima

Cavy Slave
I don't get the thought that it's undignified or disrespectful unless it's an animal that could care one way or the other.

That doesn´t has anything to do with shame. Not sure if I even can explain it, because thats how I feel, that doesn´t mean there is a logic behind it.
But I don´t like the fact that they are used as if they aren´t alive. I have read about chickens being dyed so they fit to the wedding theme. And for me that is disrespectful because they are treated as if they are just decoration or an accessory.
I agress that they wont care because they are unable to even understand what happens, but I don´t think that makes it any better because I feel that they don´t understand it and couldn´t fight anyway is used against them.
They are animals, I see it as my responsibility to give them a home that fulfills their needs as best as possible (including to leave them alone with stroking and cuddling when they don´t want that), putting chemicals on them for my amusement doesn´t fit in.
And you could really ask- what is next? Tattooing hurts of course. But what if the pig had to be neutred or had a tumor removed or something, why not tattooing it while it is asleep?
Where exactly is the limit?

MissJean

Cavy Slave
That doesn´t has anything to do with shame. Not sure if I even can explain it, because thats how I feel, that doesn´t mean there is a logic behind it.
But I don´t like the fact that they are used as if they aren´t alive. I have read about chickens being dyed so they fit to the wedding theme. And for me that is disrespectful because they are treated as if they are just decoration or an accessory.
I agress that they wont care because they are unable to even understand what happens, but I don´t think that makes it any better because I feel that they don´t understand it and couldn´t fight anyway is used against them.
They are animals, I see it as my responsibility to give them a home that fulfills their needs as best as possible (including to leave them alone with stroking and cuddling when they don´t want that), putting chemicals on them for my amusement doesn´t fit in.
And you could really ask- what is next? Tattooing hurts of course. But what if the pig had to be neutred or had a tumor removed or something, why not tattooing it while it is asleep?
Where exactly is the limit?

You bring up a good point about weddings and other special events. Some people choose to dress up their animals for these occasions. Sometimes it's because they want their pet to be a part of the special occasion! I actually think that's sweet. People want to be inclusive and celebrate with their pets. If the pets don't mind, why not?

Maybe if someone is considering doing dye jobs, we can instead guide them to a nontoxic source of dye. Chemicals aren't all bad. It's become a dirty word nowadays. There's perfectly natural and safe chemicals. Plant extractions are considered chemicals.

The definition is quite broad:
: of, relating to, used in, or produced by chemistry or the phenomena of chemistry <chemical reactions>

Also, some dog rescue groups used to tattoo dogs for identification purpose. My sister's Pom had one on her stomach. I'm not sure if this actually hurt the dog. Some of the dye does get absorbed into the blood stream.

I'm always confused when people say tattooing hurts. I have two tattoos on my face and they were hand punched. It didn't hurt, but I'm also not a sensitive animal. You can also use numbing solutions before a tattoo as well. I don't agree with animal tattooing, but I thought I would throw that information out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.