Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C What to add to cage

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
For Christmas I got some money and of course, I'm not spending it on me, I'm spending it on the pigs. I have couple choices that affect the cage. I can completely redo my cage (my mom wants me to get new coro anyways, she thinks it's disgusting) and try to cut the coroplast right this time.lol I can add a loft, I'm thinking either a 2x2 or a 1x4, I'm leaning toward the 1x4. Or I can build an entirely new level, so it would be a 2x4 over a 2x4 or something close to that. I'm not sure how cleaning would work for that, though.

Right now I have two sows in a 2x4, but I can't expand outward because of space issues. Has anyone tried the last two or tried something else? how did it work for you and how easy is cleaning?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't particularly like lofts only 1 grid wide (although I know some here do) since there's not a lot of room for pigs to get by each other if being chased.

A 2x2 is a nicer size, but some people have trouble cleaning underneath it. You could make a "box" that fits in your coroplast that you could slide out to help with that problem.

I had an offset 2x3 over a 2x5. I used the "sliding box" method when cleaning underneath it.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I make it out of coroplast, just a tad bit smaller than the cage so I can pull it out and push it back in. My underhang area was 2x2 so that's the size of my box. It wasn't as high as the sides of the coroplast, so pigs could easily jump in and out of the front.

kemmm

Cavy Slave
Cleaning under a two grid wide area definitely requires a bit of work. I had a 2x2 loft and I kinda had to crawl under it to clean it. BUT I don't really mind that sort of thing. I'm cleaning under a 2x6 loft now. :p
If it's possible to even offset your cage by 1 grid, then you're only cleaning under a one grid area. I haven't tested it myself yet, but I've seen a ton of pictures and it looks a lot easier. Doing that is definitely part of my plans next time I want to modify.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I just ordered the quick detach connectors for my 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. I cannot wait to get them installed so that I can remove the loft completely for cleaning. I've been managing cleaning under the loft just fine, but it is a bit of contorting that this grown up doesn't really want to continue doing. If I was a teen, it would be a different story. Just a thought. ;) I suppose the same could be done for a full 2x4 over 2x4.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I think I understand the box thing... It goes under the loft? I was also thinking about the connectors, but the ones I already have are actually pretty difficult to detach and reattach.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.