Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Will my plan work and be the "cheaper" way?

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
What I was planning for my cage instead of coroplast was using cardboard to cut in the right form for my cage then hot glueing a shower curtain to the inner parts and since cardboard is ugly maybe paint the viewable parts so it looks pretty! I feel like this would work but I'm not really sure. What do you think?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I use a tarp instead of coroplast. But the piggie poop gets outside the cage. My pigs like to squish their butts up against the grids and poop! lol

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
I use a tarp instead of coroplast. But the piggie poop gets outside the cage. My pigs like to squish their butts up against the grids and poop! lol
Lol where do you find it?

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
It's weird.. But I put puppy pads underneath the fleece, but i have the same issue with poop getting outside ofthe cage...

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
It's weird.. But I put puppy pads underneath the fleece, but i have the same issue with poop getting outside ofthe cage...
I see people weave ribbon through the grids as a guard to keep things in

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I see people weave ribbon through the grids as a guard to keep things in

That seems like it would be a lot of work. But i do like the tarp idea on the outside of the cage so they cant really chew it. or even table cloth since its still waterproof you can probably get some at dollar tree and do it on the outside.

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
Re: Will my plan work and be the "cheaper" way?

That seems like it would be a lot of work. But i do like the tarp idea on the outside of the cage so they cant really chew it. or even table cloth since its still waterproof you can probably get some at dollar tree and do it on the outside.
I agree do you use fleece or bedding? And may I see a picture of your cage?

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Re: Will my plan work and be the "cheaper" way?

I agree do you use fleece or bedding? And may I see a picture of your cage?

I use Fleece. for the most part, sometimes old towels or I use old blankets. 396.jpg
398.jpg397.jpg

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I'm on the hunt for coroplast myself. Yesterday I found a local sign shop that will sell me a sheet for $20!! So make some calls, you might find it affordable.

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
I used to use just a shower curtain underneath but like others said it doesn't hold in poop. You may be able to pin up sides of the fleece to create walls though.

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
I used to use just a shower curtain underneath but like others said it doesn't hold in poop. You may be able to pin up sides of the fleece to create walls though.
That's what the cardboard is for as a barrier

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
I feel like the cardboard+curtain might be negligibly cheaper, but depending on where you are you can get alternate brand Coroplast at the Home Depot or Lowe's for like $13, or try and find a sign shop that's not expensive. Corrugated plastic is so neat and attractive, plus easy to clean that I would spend the extra money to get it over a cardboard thingamajig any day.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
If you go to home depot, and there is damaged items they give it to you half off if you decide to purchase it, I found a 8x4 foot dry erase board and they cut it into 4 pieces for me so i am going to use that as the bottom and then line some shower curtain on the edges, the total cost: $7.50

Thats an idea..

wombats

Cavy Slave
Huh! That's a really nifty idea, [MENTION=35043]Bacon4EverEver[/MENTION]
I guess the whiteboard is covered with a water proof coating so I guess as long as it doesn't leak, it'll work! Very clever though.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Huh! That's a really nifty idea, @Bacon4EverEver
I guess the whiteboard is covered with a water proof coating so I guess as long as it doesn't leak, it'll work! Very clever though.

It is 15 dollars for one piece of coroplast, and i have 3 piggies and one of them is pregnant so i will need 3 sheets for the size cage i am building, This saved me money and i can use the leftover and use it as a lid.. I had it cut into 4 - 2x4 foot pieces. My cage design is going to me INSANE! I cannot wait to get my grids! I bought 69... I hope its enough!

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
That's what the cardboard is for as a barrier

I've used it as a barrier before and they will chew it and pee / poop on it which will make it need to be replaced often. The cheaper thing it the long run would be coroplast. If you can't afford it now maybe save up? It's 15-30$ depending on where you live.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Twenty dollars for a full sheet of coroplast that will last years is the cheapest in the long run. You can make the walls 6" high and not much will get out. I use bedding and made mine 8" but the bedding comes to about 4" from the top. I think once in a while it will come out when ever. If you get white coroplast and place the grids inside the base, you can decorate that anyway you want too.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Twenty dollars for a full sheet of coroplast that will last years is the cheapest in the long run. You can make the walls 6" high and not much will get out. I use bedding and made mine 8" but the bedding comes to about 4" from the top. I think once in a while it will come out when ever. If you get white coroplast and place the grids inside the base, you can decorate that anyway you want too.

should they be insdie or outside of the grids

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
I think most people have the coroplast inside the grids, because that way the grids don't get dirty, and they're much harder to clean, but it's all personal preference.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.