Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Neutering and spaying costs

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Hi guys!
Just a quick question does anyone know the costs for male neutering in the U.S? I have looked at some websites but they have outrageous amounts of money.

Any ideas on good vets aswell except from the Exotic Vets?
Thanks

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Neutering price is going to vary a lot by location and clinic. Your best bet is to call around or email specific vet offices and ask about their prices. They will usually give a generalized quote.

That would also be a good time to ask them questions about how often they treat pigs, how often they do the surgery and their success rate.

When I was considering adopting a boar a few years ago I was given a range of quotes. The lowest being $150 and the highest being just over $500. For my area, the average seemed to be in the $250-$300 range.

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
The amount it costs to neuter a male guinea pig would be from $45 - $80. I hope that is what you were looking for and not too much for you.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I live in the D.C. metro area, it was $300, but included everything such as anesthesia, meds and a post op check up a week after. If you have a local guinea pig or rodent rescue they can recommend an exotics vet.

Pammers2169

Cavy Slave
The total for everything to neuter a boar at my vets office is $300-400, I always get an itemized quote and decline unnecessary charges. I live in Ohio.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Be very sure to have it done by an experienced vet. A guinea pig neuter is different that done for a dog or a cat, and a vet who isn't used to doing them can mess things up badly.

As stated, costs will vary widely across the country and even in the same city. I had a pig that needed a bladder stone removed, and got quotes of $400, $650, and $1600-$2400, all within Houston city limits.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It is difficult to help you when we don't know what city and state you are in.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hi guys!
Just a quick question does anyone know the costs for male neutering in the U.S? I have looked at some websites but they have outrageous amounts of money.

Any ideas on good vets aswell except from the Exotic Vets?
Thanks

It all depends where your at. Near me in MA/CT I had different quotes ranging from just under $200 to over 500$. As other members said, more important than the cost is finding someone experienced in guinea pig neuters. I lucked out by being recommended to an amazing exotic vet that happened to be the most affordable (thanks @spydoc!). Be sure to do a lot of research, a good, experienced vet will take time to answer your questions.

Just curious since you have three boys why are you looking into neuters?

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
The amount it costs to neuter a male guinea pig would be from $45 - $80. I hope that is what you were looking for and not too much for you.

Please be aware that low-cost spay/neuter is a different process than full-cost procedures. Low-cost often does not use gas anesthesia, IV fluids, entubation, or monitoring devices. The animal is usually knocked out with Telazol (a dissociative drug), operated on, and then allowed to recover as the Telazol wears off. It is certainly lower in cost and for owners who would not have the money for a full-cost procedure, it is often the only way (and certainly preferable to allowing your intact dog or cat to wander around the neighborhood unsupervised, or allowing an intact boar in with a sow, or whatever). But it is generally considered not as safe as using gas anesthesia, IV fluids, entubation, careful monitoring, etc that is involved in a full-cost procedure. Just something to consider when you think you've found a really cheap place to get the neuter done.

Last edited:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I live in Alabama in Montgomery.

Okay, you live in a pretty large area with lots of veterinarian choices. What I would do it call the ones close to you, and ask their prices. Also make sure they are exotics veterinarians. You might also check with the local rabbit and guinea pig rescues to see which vets they use. In my area you can pay $90 to $500 depending on the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.