Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Guinea's Medical Thread

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave
Hi there! :) Recently, my hamster has been sick and he might have a tumor/abscess so I am a bit stressed in the moment.

Guinea moved her cardboard box to the middle of the cage so I moved it back, but I noticed that there was a couple of poops there. Next to the poops, were either some blood, or watermelon stains, and I'm not sure which...

Here are some pictures: (while taking them, I noticed there were actually 2 spots)
IMG_4023[1].jpgIMG_4024[1].jpgIMG_4025[1].jpg

I'm not sure if this is from her urine or part of her... I'll check later as we're going furniture shopping right now. She also has a very dirty bum... how do I prevent that?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: Blood?

Looks like the fleece is not wicking urine to the layer underneath. What are you using under your fleece?
I can't tell if it's blood or just urine stain.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

I would bed her on plain white towels for a day or so to monitor her urine.

Move her house around so it's not always in the same spot. Or use pads underneath her house that you can switch out. This should stop her bum from being wet.

It's possible she has a urinary tract infection, which is why it would be a good idea to bed her on white towels so you can see for sure if there's blood in her urine.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave

Looks like the fleece is not wicking urine to the layer underneath. What are you using under your fleece?
I can't tell if it's blood or just urine stain.
Thank you for pointing that out. :) I have not wickered this fleece but the others are currently in the washer. I am using newspaper underneath the fleece.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave

I would bed her on plain white towels for a day or so to monitor her urine.

Move her house around so it's not always in the same spot. Or use pads underneath her house that you can switch out. This should stop her bum from being wet.

It's possible she has a urinary tract infection, which is why it would be a good idea to bed her on white towels so you can see for sure if there's blood in her urine.
Thanks! :) Will paper towels work, or not?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

Well, you want something more absorbent and comfortable for her.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave

Well, you want something more absorbent and comfortable for her.
I understand that, but my parents wouldn't like it if I were to waste towels for this use even if I purchased them myself. I've got some very weird parents. :)

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave

I understand that, but my parents wouldn't like it if I were to waste towels for this use even if I purchased them myself. I've got some very weird parents. :)

You could get some white fleece or go to the dollar store and get some white towels for cheap, but you would have to get a lot because I don't think they would have big bath towels.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

Any light colored towel would work. You don't have any rags?

I get old towels from yard sales or thrift/second hand stores.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave

K... I definitely found more blood. This time it is strong and very noticeable. Puddles the size of her foot, maybe? Not sure. I checked over her and found no trace of blood anywhere. Could this possibly be bladder stones? I really need help.

(PS Turns out my sick hamster also needs to be taken to the vet so... stress much?)

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave

SHOCKING DISCOVERY: I just gave Guinea a bath and she peed blood. D: I got a graphic picture if anyone wants to see it. She squeaked when she went to the bathroom... What is happening?!

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave

SHOCKING DISCOVERY: I just gave Guinea a bath and she peed blood. D: I got a graphic picture if anyone wants to see it. She squeaked when she went to the bathroom... What is happening?!
This means she has a bladder stone. I recommend taking her to the vet and they will decide the necessary action. The stone usually has to be surgically removed.

pinky

Cavy Slave

This means she has a bladder stone. I recommend taking her to the vet and they will decide the necessary action. The stone usually has to be surgically removed.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean a bladder stone. It could be a bladder infection which is treatable with antibiotics. An exotic vet can determine exactly what the cause it.

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave

UPDATE: We think it's UTI and we're taking her to the vet tomorrow. My dad is also getting cranberry juice now so we can give it to her. (Don't worry, we're doing the 50/50 water ratio) Any tips on giving it to her?

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave

Here's the conversation that we had to figure all of this out: (broken link removed)

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave

UPDATE: We think it's UTI and we're taking her to the vet tomorrow. My dad is also getting cranberry juice now so we can give it to her. (Don't worry, we're doing the 50/50 water ratio) Any tips on giving it to her?
From what I read on guinea lynx you can put the juice in their water bottle and change it daily or syringe feed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Folks, cranberry juice will do NOTHING for an established URI, even in a human. In people, it's used to acidify the urine to make infection less likely. But guinea pigs are herbivores, and their urine is naturally basic, not acidic as human urine is. It won't even help to prevent a UTI.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave

Aww that's too bad. I hope the vet trip goes well! :-O

Hazel Hammy

Cavy Slave

Thanks guys. :) My mom is on with the vet office and setting up an appointment now! Wish us luck! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.