Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Do I get more?

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I already have three piggies and a big cage, but there are two piggies that need a home and they are only 15 minutes away. The person gave it an "urgent" category. (It is the Taylor, Michigan one) I know my husband would be not be happy, but my son would be ecstatic, lol. I am not sure adoption is a good idea, but I do have the money for vet bills and other needs, a large enough cage and 10 x 10 run around room.

I want to give a good home to an "urgent" situation, but the husband may not agree. Any advice?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
If it's truly urgent... could you handle fostering until you found them another home or fell in love :O)

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
I think that if you can afford it, have the space, then why not? It sounds like you can provide them with a very loving home! Hmm just try to convince your husband then.... :D

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
LOL, you guys are all bad influences! lol They are not calling out to me as much as them living in what looks like a tiny cage. And the girl writing the post said they are not being taken care of, so how can I let them stay there? The hubby said I am at my piggy limit, lol.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I like the fostering until you fall in love though.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It all depends on you, really. I've never let my husband's opinion affect how or whether or not I should take in more, especially in a dire situation. :) And especially because I'm the one taking care of them and everything else.

How many do you have now? More pigs means more laundry (if you're using fleece), more food, more time, etc. And ultimately it's all down to you on whether or not you can manage more. If it were me, I'd probably do it.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
good lord, more laundry? lol That I can handle actually, it is the giant piles of poops, lol. I have the money to handle more piggies. I need to check how big a cage. I have a 2 x 7 with a 1 x 3 L shaped loft. the loft is going to be extended eventually. I really didn't want to go bigger with the cage since the base is hand made.

What do you think of the cage size for 5 piggalettas?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Poor guinea pigs! My husband told me no to the first guinea pig. He's never said "yes" to a single guinea pig but here we are with 5 of them. It depends on your relationship with your husband I would think. In our household the pets, children and care of things "household-y" are all my job so his opinion on them is limited at best. (well, not so limited with the children but super limited with the pets lol ) I would never bring home something like a dog without his agreement but a little piggy that will live in the same space we already have, why not?

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I guess I have more respect for my husband (please don't take that the wrong way...I am in NO way implying that any of you do not respect your husbands :)). Any pet or anything else that comes into "our" home has to be a mutual decision on both sides. At least that's how I feel about it. If my hubby said "no way", then its no way. However...he rarely tells me no for anything! Hence, the 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 piggies in our home! LOL lol

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I guess I have more respect for my husband (please don't take that the wrong way...I am in NO way implying that any of you do not respect your husbands :)). Any pet or anything else that comes into "our" home has to be a mutual decision on both sides. At least that's how I feel about it. If my hubby said "no way", then its no way. However...he rarely tells me no for anything! Hence, the 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 piggies in our home! LOL lol

I just wish hubby respected MY wishes and didn't just "lay down the law". I have listened and followed his wishes for 13 married years. Now he should listen to me and let me rescue two more.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave

I have four pigs (all females) in a 3x5. Hoping to get our lone girl intro'd (successfully this time) to the herd and move them all into a 3x7 by combining the 3x5 and her 3x2 :)

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave

Sounds like my husband/house. He says no to everything but then TELLS me to get them lol Reason why we have three dogs, three cats and five guineas...and we're adopting out one of the dogs and getting a puppy all this week. Craaazy.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
good lord, more laundry? lol That I can handle actually, it is the giant piles of poops, lol. I have the money to handle more piggies. I need to check how big a cage. I have a 2 x 7 with a 1 x 3 L shaped loft. the loft is going to be extended eventually. I really didn't want to go bigger with the cage since the base is hand made.

I have five girls right now in a 2x8. They are beyond thrilled and way happy with the size, of course they were all cramped in a small rubbermaid tub before so they were also happy for the week they spent in a 2x3 grid cage. I think it depends on the personality of the pigs in question, really. Some need more space than others, like us hoomans. :)

@pawner69 - As to the comment on "respect," it's not about that at all - I don't wait for or ask for permission for things I want that he has little to nothing to do with and I'm certainly not ever going to be in a position where he "lets" me do anything, least of all take in animals when I can and want to. It works both ways, he doesn't seek my permission or approval on new bike gear or going out on rides. I guess it's just a matter of what the relationship is, like @Inle_Rabbit wisely (as usual) suggested. His opinion on the matter is limited at best to begin with because it's not his deal. He does of course think it's his lot in life to tell me I have too many animals or gasp when I mention another chinchilla, pig, whatever. If he had anything to do with taking care of them, I suspect his opinion would account for more, but he doesn't and it doesn't.

@Beth Pearson, just out of curiosity, is it a foster dog you're getting rid of/taking in? I ask only because it seems strange to me that you'd be adopting out one while taking in another unless it's a foster situation.

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
My husband said no too when I brought home my piggies...conveniently while he was out-of-town. We had some tension for a few days but now it is better. His explanation to me was very sound and I respected him for that...I was defensive at first because like so many others I am the primary caregiver of all things living in the house so I feel I should be able to make that judgement call...however, I am also a chronic nurturer and often don't realize when my plate is so full that other things are not getting my %100 like they used to...so we are on hold with adding any new pets to our menagerie. Though my radar is always up searching out potential adoptees!lol He is afraid to leave town now...doesn't know what he will find next in the house. But don't let him fool you...he has already accompanied me to the piggies vet a couple of times because he was concerned about them too. Softy at heart.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I just wish hubby respected MY wishes and didn't just "lay down the law". I have listened and followed his wishes for 13 married years. Now he should listen to me and let me rescue two more.

@Kelly9 I TOTALLY agree with you on that one. The respect definately has to go both ways. :)

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Well, I decided to not take the piggies now, but will revisit it if the post stays up for a long time. My husband does have to take the piggies to their cage at night because I am too tired and not walking well and give them hay because of my allergies so I guess he does have some say. Buuuut, then I will take them if there is no one else to rescue them. Thank you everyone for the help and advice. I will keep the lines of communication open with my hubby on this too.

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Ahhh then, that sounds like a reasonable request from your hubby. Afterall, you have a much longer relationship to look forward to with him and good compromise can make future aquisitions much more happier for all. I too have a bit of a maternal hair trigger that sends me searching for an animal to rescue...but I want to give the best to what I have right now and know my time and energy is far more limiting than I would care to admit...it takes my husbands thoughts and observations to remind me of that...and after I calm my resentment towards him down about getting more animals...I look around at the love already waiting for me and dive into it and smile lol

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
, what a great sentiment. I probably would have a zoo around here if I could, but we have to choose our battles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.