Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Quick help on bleeding Guinea Pig paw

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
I was holding my guinea pig and i thought she had poop stuck on her paw. So i picked it off but it must have been a scab

Her paw was bleeding (what i think for a guinea pig) to be alot. This is my 1st time and i hope shes going to be ok. Got her on a towel till the bleeding dries up. What should i do?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Kwik Stop will stop bleeding pretty quickly. Alternately flour or cornstarch will work in a pinch. Otherwise, the blood will eventually clot on its own.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
cornstarch? never heard of that. Ill go grab someone.

Will i need to put anything on here foot? I rather not put her back in a cage on her bedding with a open scab

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I would wait until the bleeding stops and is dry before putting her back into the cage. You are correct, you definitely do not want the open wound to become infected or to open up again if put back too early and she walks around on it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you sure it was poop and not bumblefoot? Picking dried poop off doesn't usually make their feet bleed, but picking off a bumblefoot scab will. See https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html and see if that's what it looks like.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
I dont know if this is a scab or bumblefoot. Heres a pic. Hope you guys can tell. I reguarly check my guinea pig paws and this has to be new. I clean their cage once a week so there not on soggy pine bedding for a long time. I usually put them in water to clean their paws and bellys every 2 weeks.

The reason i said it may be a scab is i let her outside with me while doing garden work so she was on woodchips outside. But like i said it could be bumblefoot

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Is there anything on your cage floor that could irritate her foot? Like does she have a plastic pigloo that she climbs on sometimes that can cause bumblefoot?Her paw does look a bit swollen maybe thats just the picture though.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Its a plastic bottom. This week i get a big paycheck from work. IM going to upgrade to a cholorplast cage and finally get rid of these crappy store bought jail cell cages. Im done using pine bedding. I almsot feel bad for putting them on it...

The only thing in their cage is a chew hidey. And the only thing that would touch their bedding is the hay that gets dropped

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Are the pine shavings kiln dried? I forgot what its called, but if the shavings aren't kiln dried theres this stuff on the shavings that can irritate their feet... Maybe thats the problem. Her nails look a bit long too, that might affect her walking.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Are the pine shavings kiln dried? I forgot what its called, but if the shavings aren't kiln dried theres this stuff on the shavings that can irritate their feet... Maybe thats the problem. Her nails look a bit long too, that might affect her walking.

Yes i need to trim them. A bit overdue. Will do that today

The bag does say Kiln dried. But ive noticed that my pigs feet always look pinkish... i adopted these from someone who never had time to be with them or take care of them, so they were getting neglected. So i always thought pigs paws were a light pinkish red.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may be the pine bedding. Some pigs seem to have very sensitive feet, and even the pine bedding can cause problems. I'd switch to something else and see if it clears up.

That looks like a scab to me, and not poop. There are treatments for bumblefoot at that link I gave you.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
You can switch to care fresh in the meantime if you'd like, although its quite expensive. I wouldn't recommend fleece in such a tiny cage. It would get too smelly and you would have to change it frequently.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
You can switch to care fresh in the meantime if you'd like, although its quite expensive. I wouldn't recommend fleece in such a tiny cage. It would get too smelly and you would have to change it frequently.

Im buying a cnc cage from this site this week lol i finally get to own one and my pigs will have running room now

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
It may be the pine bedding. Some pigs seem to have very sensitive feet, and even the pine bedding can cause problems. I'd switch to something else and see if it clears up.

That looks like a scab to me, and not poop. There are treatments for bumblefoot at that link I gave you.

Yeah i just said poop cause i pulled her out of her cage and saw something hanging off her paw so i just pulled it off, but i guess it wasnt poop. I was looking at that Happy sole ointment, but does that stuff come from the UK?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would recommend soaking the paw in a dilute chlorhexidine solution -- you should be able to find that at any pharmacy. If that, and a clean cage bottom, don't clear it up, you should probably get an oral antibiotic from the vet. Bumblefoot is nothing to fool around with -- the infection can get into the bone, and besides being very painful, can mean that the foot has to be amputated.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I don't think they can die of bumble foot unless it get sooo bad they cant walk, then they cant get to their food, but yours isn't that bad. I'm sure they carry virgin coconut oil at most any grocery stores.Good luck!!

According to https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

It can result in death if it isn't taken care of as it says it can effect the bone. I usually check my girls feet every day since they walk on pine shavings >_<

Chibi_Chobits

Cavy Gazer
For my Guinea Pig i use this card board little ball/crumbles flooring. The pine shavings are too messy and as you see dangerous. Maybe you should buy what i use? It sure a lot more useful. I never have to worry about my Guinea pig's feet because its soft and has no way of cutting him.

Chibi_Chobits

Cavy Gazer
You can buy the flooring I use at where you buy your Guinea Pig food and your pine shavings. The flooring can be used for mice, gerbils, Guinea Pigs, birds, and even snakes. You'll know what it is once you see a big bag full of crumbled pieces of brown paper/card board/wood/soft crumbles thing.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It looks to me like she had a spur, and that's what was pulled off. Her foot does not look swollen or red like most bumblefoot cases. There is an example of a spur on the bottom of this page-- https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html

Although most of the pigs I've seen with them have it curling over the side of the foot. If the pig has dark skin the spur will be dark, and if the pig has light skin likewise the spur.

You can clip off spurs but not too close to the foot pad.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
It looks to me like she had a spur, and that's what was pulled off. Her foot does not look swollen or red like most bumblefoot cases. There is an example of a spur on the bottom of this page-- https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html

Although most of the pigs I've seen with them have it curling over the side of the foot. If the pig has dark skin the spur will be dark, and if the pig has light skin likewise the spur.

You can clip off spurs but not too close to the foot pad.

Well that picture was the after math after the blood dried off. When i first noticed it it was growing off her foot also which is why i orginally thought it was poop and pulled it off.

I dont know if this is possible or my color seeing is bad. But like some parts on my guinea shes light skinned and some parts she seems dark skinned

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.