Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Possible URI?

Linds

Cavy Slave
I haven't posted in a while, but I'm afraid my Wasabi has a URI. Yesterday evening, I noticed he sounded congested but I didn't think anything of it. But after listening to him today/this evening, I think he may have a URI. But at the same time I'm not sure if it's just allergies? His symptoms only consist of his congested breathing. He is eating like a...pig and drinking normally. He has no crusties on/around his eyes. It has been a little drafty in the house this past week, but I did give him extra fleece.

My question is, what can I do to comfort him tonight? I'm going to call around and make him a vet appointment tomorrow. Is there any specific medication that I should expect the vet to prescribe if it is a URI?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
There isn't much you can do except get him to an exotics vet Monday. Guinea pigs hide their illnesses so it's often difficult to tell how sick they are. For tonight you can give him bell pepper for some extra vitamin C, and definitely make sure he's warm enough.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
The congested breathing can get worse. One of my girls had this recently, exactly a month ago from today. She had congested breathing, and would cough. She also had acted the same exact way your piggy is acting via eating, drinking, pooping normally. After a few days I noticed it became worse BUT she continued to eat, drink, poop normally as if she was perfectly fine. I would recommend seeing your vet as it could lead to another issue.

Linds

Cavy Slave
The congested breathing can get worse. One of my girls had this recently, exactly a month ago from today. She had congested breathing, and would cough. She also had acted the same exact way your piggy is acting via eating, drinking, pooping normally. After a few days I noticed it became worse BUT she continued to eat, drink, poop normally as if she was perfectly fine. I would recommend seeing your vet as it could lead to another issue.

As I stated in the first post, I'm planning on making an appointment tomorrow with my vet. There was no question about visiting the vet, I know its a must! I was just wondering what I could do to comfort him tonight. I'm just curious, what was the diagnostic for your pig? Thanks!

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
She had a small infection and early URI. Luckily she coughed when she did during the visit as it cleared things up with the doctor. She also had pneumonia in the past which may have come back slightly. The extra fleece would help. Drafts seem to be the cause of sneaky URI's >_< as it seems a couple of my girls have gotten sick from it.

I would just do what you can to prevent further drafts and as bpatters usually says, watch him closely. If he's eating and drinking normally then for right now he should be perfectly fine!

Oh, Also if your vet prescribes Children's Benadryl (diphenhydramine) its normal. At first I was skeptical since I'm used to hearing humans taking Benadryl but it seems our cavy friends can have it too! It was given to her for congestion then she was given Baytril for her URI.

Last edited:

Linds

Cavy Slave
Oh, Also if your vet prescribes Children's Benadryl (diphenhydramine) its normal. At first I was skeptical since I'm used to hearing humans taking Benadryl but it seems our cavy friends can have it too! It was given to her for congestion then she was given Baytril for her URI.

That's exactly what I was wondering! Thank you!

I scheduled a vet appointment, unfortunately the only opening my vet had is tomorrow morning. I'll give him some bell pepper and make sure he's warm for the time being.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Thats good! I hope he gets better and makes a wonderful recovery!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.