Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing a third piggy: need cage advice and introduction advice

boopy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! Some people may know that earlier in November, one of my piggies, Patty, passed away. I adopted Autumn as a new companion for my guinea pig, Lucy, and they have bonded quite well. However, I recently went on a hay and bedding run at a small pet store near my home. They had a local (okay, somewhat local) shelter hosting an adoption event for some of the animals that had been at their shelter for a while and I saw a cute little short hair there that came right up to me, snuggled with me when I held her, and my heart melted. She had been in foster care for almost a month after being dumped at the shelter in a cardboard box, but was pretty accustomed to being snuggled, eating veggies, and eating (and apparently playing in) hay. She seems very happy right now, eating constantly and popcorning. She is older that Autumn, who is only 3 months old, and we suspect she may be somewhere around 6 months old. Lucy is one year old.

Right now we are looking at expanding our cage. I have a 2x4 cage with a loft. Lucy and Autumn spend the most of their time that they aren't on the floor or eating hay in the loft, snuggling so we were already talking about expanding that into a 2x2 loft, but now we are looking at getting a 2x5 cage. It's quite a lot of money, money I don't really have (but could get, if I needed to), so I'm wondering if it is something that might be really necessary. Is 2x5 big enough for three piggies?

Also, I'm wondering how to introduce one piggy to two? Do I introduce them individually and then all together during floor time? What happens if the cage expansion doesn't come in on time, would they be okay in the 2x4 cage for a week or two?

Also, so far what I have gotten for the main floor expansion is 4 grid panels, the 2x5 cloroplast insert, 8 connectors, some zip ties. For the loft expansion, I have 6 (4 for the walls, 2 to expand the floor) grid panels, 8 connectors, the wide loft cloroplast insert, and a new ramp. I also got another fleece flipper for the downstairs, and one for the wide loft. Or at least, this would be what I planned on ordering. I just want to make sure that's enough?

Here's a photo of my dad holding the new baby, whom we have named Holly:

20622972_1774105182602511_170022773_o.jpg

boopy

Cavy Slave
For some reason it won't let me edit my post, but I should add that my guinea pigs only spend the nights in the cage. I only have class for maybe 2 hours every day, and so I am home most of the time. When I'm home, the cage is open and they have the entire upstairs to run around. They are rarely actually in the cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Introduce them all together in a large neutral area at a time when you've got hours to supervise. It's always trickier introducing a pair to other guinea pigs, so expect some squabbling.

Here's the bible on introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

boopy

Cavy Slave
Introduce them all together in a large neutral area at a time when you've got hours to supervise. It's always trickier introducing a pair to other guinea pigs, so expect some squabbling.

Here's the bible on introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Thank you! That guide is wonderful. Thankfully, Holly is really laid back. I'm sure she and the baby (Autumn) will get a long. I'm a little worried about Lucy, but only because she's a year old and Holly is still sort-of a baby. I think personality wise, they will definitely get a long. I also think it will be nice for her, that there is another guinea pig around to entertain Autumn, who is very noisy and is attached to Lucy at the hip.

That obviously doesn't mean they won't squabble, but I'll be there keeping an eye on them.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
For some reason it won't let me edit my post.

There is a 10 minute window after posting where you can edit if you need to.

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! Some people may know that earlier in November, one of my piggies, Patty, passed away. I adopted Autumn as a new companion for my guinea pig, Lucy, and they have bonded quite well. However, I recently went on a hay and bedding run at a small pet store near my home. They had a local (okay, somewhat local) shelter hosting an adoption event for some of the animals that had been at their shelter for a while and I saw a cute little short hair there that came right up to me, snuggled with me when I held her, and my heart melted. She had been in foster care for almost a month after being dumped at the shelter in a cardboard box, but was pretty accustomed to being snuggled, eating veggies, and eating (and apparently playing in) hay. She seems very happy right now, eating constantly and popcorning. She is older that Autumn, who is only 3 months old, and we suspect she may be somewhere around 6 months old. Lucy is one year old.

Right now we are looking at expanding our cage. I have a 2x4 cage with a loft. Lucy and Autumn spend the most of their time that they aren't on the floor or eating hay in the loft, snuggling so we were already talking about expanding that into a 2x2 loft, but now we are looking at getting a 2x5 cage. It's quite a lot of money, money I don't really have (but could get, if I needed to), so I'm wondering if it is something that might be really necessary. Is 2x5 big enough for three piggies?

Also, I'm wondering how to introduce one piggy to two? Do I introduce them individually and then all together during floor time? What happens if the cage expansion doesn't come in on time, would they be okay in the 2x4 cage for a week or two?

Also, so far what I have gotten for the main floor expansion is 4 grid panels, the 2x5 cloroplast insert, 8 connectors, some zip ties. For the loft expansion, I have 6 (4 for the walls, 2 to expand the floor) grid panels, 8 connectors, the wide loft cloroplast insert, and a new ramp. I also got another fleece flipper for the downstairs, and one for the wide loft. Or at least, this would be what I planned on ordering. I just want to make sure that's enough?

Here's a photo of my dad holding the new baby, whom we have named Holly:

View attachment 83860
I don't know anything about introductions but maybe can save you money with the cage. Store Supply Warehouse sells the grids and connectors for far less than anywhere else I've seen so I save a lot of money that way. Look for the mini grids which are the 14 by 14 there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

boopy

Cavy Slave
I don't know anything about introductions but maybe can save you money with the cage. Store Supply Warehouse sells the grids and connectors for far less than anywhere else I've seen so I save a lot of money that way. Look for the mini grids which are the 14 by 14 there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thank you for the advice! I'll check that out. I ordered some of the components for the expansion already, namely because I'm bad with the cloroplast, but not the grids because I was hoping I could find them at a decent price.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.