Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Thinking about getting a rabbit

angie901

Cavy Slave
they can be harder to litter box train than you're led to believe
actually, by brothers netherland dwarf bunny litter trained himself

I'm planning on finding one that is already litter box trained. Thanks though.

angie901

Cavy Slave
Love rabbits!!! I have a 4 year-old female bunny named Fenway. She is the sweetest thing. Bunnys are awesome, just make sure you do your research.

I promise to make sure to do my research. Thanks

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
Rabbits are adorable, and they are great pets, but like everyone says, they are a TON of work. I'm speaking from my experience as a rabbit owner, they are huge pains in the butts, and mine doesn't have most of the problems that rabbits can have. Thankfully he doesn't go to the bathroom anywhere except his litter box, and the only thing he has chewed up is a phone charger and a pair of head phones, but still, he is a ton of work and requires a ton of attention, and a ton of money. Oh boy are they expensive. (Something I didn't really realize until recently.) Between the pellets, the veggies, and the litter, and all the other little toys you can't pass up on because you think your bunny will love it, just adds up. Honestly I'd wait until you were at least 16+(w/ a part time job) to get a bunny. But even then, school and work and a bunny is a LOT to handle for such a young person. I'd wait.

Rabbits are like a cat, dog, and a toddler all mixed up into one. They look like simple, easy to take care of animals, but they're very complex.

Dahlia

Cavy Slave
I'm planning on finding one that is already litter box trained. Thanks though.

sorry i worded it wrong. i meant my brothers bunny chose a corner in his cage and goes there. he doesnt go to the bathroom anywhere else. my brother didnt have anything to do with it

angie901

Cavy Slave
sorry i worded it wrong. i meant my brothers bunny chose a corner in his cage and goes there. he doesnt go to the bathroom anywhere else. my brother didnt have anything to do with it

Yeah I know what you meant. But to make it easier I want to find a litter box trained one.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have to agree with @Paula. How many pets have you lost in the last couple of years? I'd really research whatever animal you're interested and make sure the conditions you plan to keep them in are more than just adequate. If it's guinea pigs you're interested in, what type of cage do you plan to house them in and where will you keep them? How about pellets, hay, bedding, veggies, water source, etc? Have you found an exotic vet in your area? Who will be paying for vet care and food, etc? The loss of Momi and her pups really touched me and I was concerned about the photo with the pup on her back. These are living creatures that are fragile and dependent on us to survive and thrive. Each and every one deserves the chance to live a long and healthy life.

sakee

Cavy Slave
Rabbits are adorable, and they are great pets, but like everyone says, they are a TON of work. I'm speaking from my experience as a rabbit owner, they are huge pains in the butts, and mine doesn't have most of the problems that rabbits can have. Thankfully he doesn't go to the bathroom anywhere except his litter box, and the only thing he has chewed up is a phone charger and a pair of head phones, but still, he is a ton of work and requires a ton of attention, and a ton of money. Oh boy are they expensive. (Something I didn't really realize until recently.) Between the pellets, the veggies, and the litter, and all the other little toys you can't pass up on because you think your bunny will love it, just adds up. Honestly I'd wait until you were at least 16+(w/ a part time job) to get a bunny. But even then, school and work and a bunny is a LOT to handle for such a young person. I'd wait.

Rabbits are like a cat, dog, and a toddler all mixed up into one. They look like simple, easy to take care of animals, but they're very complex.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it's totally cured me of the bunny fever I had going on!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.