Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece will not wick! I've tried everything...

Plepleus

Cavy Gazer
I can NOT get this stupid fleece to wick. Any help would be appreciated! I'm trying on 3 types of fleece, all from Joanne's, all 100% poly:
- Black solid "no-pill"
- Print from a "No-sew" throw kit
- Pink solid "Blizzard" from the rolls

I have washed these dang things over 10 (maybe 15) times, using some or all of the following:
- Hot water
- Cold water
- White vingar
- Natural bleach
- Real bleach
- Costco detergent (without fabric softener)
- Blue Dawn

I've rinsed multiple times after each wash to ensure there's no scent or residue left on the fleece. I've tried the diaper stripping technique. I've soaked them for 24 hrs in the dawn/bleach solution, then ran through rinse cycles with plain water. I've not used any dryer sheets in the dryer. They look beat to hell! Yet the water just sits there, mocking me! I've left droplets sit for up to 15 minutes before cursing them and throwing the fleece across the room! I've tried it on this side, I've tried it on that side, I've tried with this towel underneath, and that towel underneath!

I've searched the internet high and low for some secret, any secret, that will reveal what I'm doing wrong! I sit envious as I watch youtube videos of liquid just vanishing through fleece, wondering if I'll EVER know the satisfaction!
Please, if anyone can help. I'm just about bald from pulling my hair out. Thanks! :cool:

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
When you test for wicking, are you using a single layer of towel and a single layer of fleece? If the fleece is bunched or layered it may not wick. Also test for wicking on both sides of the fleece to see if one side is wicking. This has happened to me before too.

The only other thing I can suggest is running it through the wash with a hot wash and lots of vinegar, and then a hot hot dry cycle. I had some stubborn fleece a while back as well. I was up to 10 washes on a couple of my last fleece prints. I had bought probably 30-40 yards in one go and had like 15-20 different patterns, and only 3 gave me trouble out of all of them.

Plepleus

Cavy Gazer
When you test for wicking, are you using a single layer of towel and a single layer of fleece? If the fleece is bunched or layered it may not wick. Also test for wicking on both sides of the fleece to see if one side is wicking. This has happened to me before too.

The only other thing I can suggest is running it through the wash with a hot wash and lots of vinegar, and then a hot hot dry cycle. I had some stubborn fleece a while back as well. I was up to 10 washes on a couple of my last fleece prints. I had bought probably 30-40 yards in one go and had like 15-20 different patterns, and only 3 gave me trouble out of all of them.
Yes, always a single layer of fleece laid nice and flat against a towel layer. Thanks for the reply, I'll give the extra vinegar a try!

lissie

Cavy Slave
How absorbent is your towel? Have you tried to see if the towel is absorbing the water?

Plepleus

Cavy Gazer
How absorbent is your towel? Have you tried to see if the towel is absorbing the water?

Indeed I have, multiple towels as well. I must be doing something wrong or missing something, but I just can't figure it out!

Plepleus

Cavy Gazer
Try different detergent. See this list of recommended detergent for cloth diapers. https://www.jilliansdrawers.com/resources/detergentsforclothdiapers

I purchased some Original Tide powder detergent yesterday, and washed a few pieces this morning. After 1 cycle, the older pieces I've been abusing for a while still are not wicking. HOWEVER(!) the newer piece that I bought a couple days ago, that I've only washed once before this, IS showing signs of wicking! Not immediate transfer, but liquid is passing through instead of sitting pooled at the top! I will give the other pieces more washes with the Tide and report back!
Thank you Lissie!:love:

Plepleus

Cavy Gazer
UPDATE: I think I can definitively say that the Tide Original powder detergent worked. We have wicking on (most of) the pieces! Night and day difference after washing them a couple times.
Thanks again Lissie and everyone else!

lissie

Cavy Slave
You're welcome! Glad they're working now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.