Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

four new babies, one is not nursing or walking

emc07

Cavy Gazer
Hi. My daughter's guinea had four pups last night. Three are healthy and moving. One is not. I found him at the bottom of the cage under mom but not nursing. He seems unable to walk although he is moving his head body a little. I read that I can mash pellets and mix them with water and pumpkin puree to feed him. Is this good advice? I tried to separate him with mom for a bit to see if he would nurse. She was still but he didn't seem to latch on. Could he just be too weak to latch on? Perhaps if I fed him some he would be able to?

Thanks

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What colour is this pup? Is it pure white? Check it's mouth and see if it has any teeth missing, or any grown in a deformed fashion. How are the pups eyes? Do either seem only partially formed or sunken?

The pellet mash idea is definitely the way to go. You can add in some herbs like parsley etc to make it more palatable too. Try to feed it to the pup on a spoon, but if the pup won't take it, you have to force feed, which isn't easy. The pup may resist, but you have to work through it. A guinea pig not eating is a pig in danger of dying. https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html read that for some how-to's.

emc07

Cavy Gazer
What colour is this pup? Is it pure white? Check it's mouth and see if it has any teeth missing, or any grown in a deformed fashion. How are the pups eyes? Do either seem only partially formed or sunken?

The pup is brown. Everything else seems normal. Eyes are open, shiny, and round. His body seems to be shaped correctly and his teeth look straight. We've given him some of the mash and after a few little feedings he seems somewhat stronger and nursed for a few seconds. He is moving all of his limbs but is still unable to stand. I am afraid he will be smashed underneath the other pups and mom if I put him in the cage. I think I will keep him separate until he is able to move around.

Thank you for your advice.

YinYangPiggies

Cavy Slave
If you don't keep the pup with his mom, you will need to find a way to keep him warm & wipe his bottom with a warm cloth after each feed every couple hours. Good luck!

emc07

Cavy Gazer
Should I keep him with mom? He is getting stepped on and when I found him this morning he was on the bottom of the cage underneath everyone else. Mom is a good mom but she was standing on his head.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I think you should keep him with mom. If he is capable of nursing, put him and his mother in a smaller area by themselves and see if he will nurse. Guinea pigs only have two "feeding stations", so he might not be getting a chance to nurse with his 3 siblings.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Poor little piggie, you may need to give him some alone time with mom each day so he can nurse without competition. I'm
Glad he's doing better!

emc07

Cavy Gazer
Our little guy didn't make it. He died this morning while my son was loving on him. My kids had a little funeral service this evening. Thank you so much for your advice and kind words. The other three babies are doing well and mom is too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.