Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How many guinea pig could fit in this cage?

rebecka

Cavy Gazer
Hi, Im wondering how many guinea pigs could fit in 2 Midwest cages that are combined (in a square shape). My current guinea pig Wiggles recently lost his cagemate Buttercup so I am planning on adopting him some friends. I was looking at getting 2 other boars that are already bonded from a local rescue so they could bond with Wiggles but I am not sure if the cage I already have would be big enough for all three. The cage is around 16 sq ft but I don’t really know if that would work ( I tried searching the website but I’m new so I’m m a little confused). If someone could give me some advice that would be great, Thank you!!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Regardless of whether the cage is big enough or not, three boars together in one cage is generally not a good idea. I would advise against trying three boars together as it almost never works out, you can end up with three solo boars none of which can be housed with either of the other two, or worse you could end up with one or more of the boars being injured.

It would be better to try contacting the rescue and seeing if they have a solo boar you could try him with, or if they have any spayed sows.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Ditto Soecara. 3 boars pretty much never works. There have been exceptions, but extremely rare.

You could definitely try a pair of spayed sows, I'm sure Wiggles wouldn't mind that at all! Or, you might try and see if the rescue will let you bring Wiggles in to see if he can find his own buddy to get along with.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto on not getting three boars. We never recommend it. It works occasionally, but fails almost ALL the time. I'd keep looking for a single buddy.

rebecka

Cavy Gazer
I will have to keep my eyes out for another guinea pig in the area. Thank you everyone for the advice!

I was also wondering how bonding Wiggles with a young guinea pig would work as he is getting quite old (around 6). Would it be better to get an older guinea pig or a young one?

rebecka

Cavy Gazer
Sorry for all the additional posts but I just went looking and found a single adult boar at one rescue or a spayed/neutered sow and boar pair at another, which one do you think would work better? Thank you!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See if the rescue will let Wiggles do a meet and greet with the single boar. That way you'll know if they hate each other right off the bat.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
The sow/boar pair will not work. Two boars will fight over the sow.

rebecka

Cavy Gazer
See if the rescue will let Wiggles do a meet and greet with the single boar. That way you'll know if they hate each other right off the bat.

I will try and contact them to see if that would work, Thank you!

rebecka

Cavy Gazer
The sow/boar pair will not work. Two boars will fight over the sow.

Thank you! So i would be better off with just the single boar?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you! So i would be better off with just the single boar?

Absolutely. If it was a pair of spayed sows, you would be ok. But two boars with one sow is even worse than 3 boars.

rebecka

Cavy Gazer
Absolutely. If it was a pair of spayed sows, you would be ok. But two boars with one sow is even worse than 3 boars.
Thank you so much! I contacted the rescue about the single boar and now I’m just waiting for them to get back to me!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I contacted the rescue about the single boar and now I’m just waiting for them to get back to me!

Good luck! I hope it works out for both of you. Let us know how it goes!

rebecka

Cavy Gazer
Sadly it did not work out. We brought my guinea pig (Wiggles) to the rescue to meet the new one (Howard) and they just did not get along. The other one was very dominant and Wiggles would not submit and kept trying to bite him. We decided together that it would be best to look for another piggie as Wiggles was getting really stressed out and we did not want to put that on him due to his old age. I’m very sad that he still does not have a friend but I think it was for the best.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry that it didn't work out, but don't give up hope. There may yet be a buddy out there for Wiggles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.