Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Let's see your cage Pictures please.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
It's been a while since I've posted cage pictures. I just finished semi remodeling my cage. I replaced the 7yr old coroplast and it used to be 2 stacked cages, but now that I have a herd getting along, I have no need for it anymore! It's a 2x5 on a stand meant for a 2x4, and the stand really needs to be repainted! I built the stand 4 years ago, it's all MDF and plywood and very very sturdy, with lot's of storage! The picture frame on the wall is waiting for a good group shot of the girls Charlie-Muffin (7yrs), Penelope (5yrs), and Squiggles (2yrs). Also the coroplast sides are only 4ish inches since I got the new coroplast last minute at Home Depot. I really like bright colors and white by the way lol!

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Ok. Here is an updated picture showing the fleece forest I made and a new thing they can go through. I also took down the hay rack and am trying a different one. The old one allowed them to do under it and lots of hay would fall down on them. I was afraid it would get in their eyes so I'm trying something different.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The herds (8 guineas) cage...A 3x4 + 2x5.5 with a 2x2 loft.

Kudos

Cavy Slave
Normally a 2x4 with 2x2 upper level. Made it so the outer cages can be opened so I can expand it for floor time.
IMG_8369.jpg
Underneath
IMG_8386.jpg
Ramp is also a tunnel and a hidey on top
IMG_8389.jpg
Upper level/kitchen. Don't mind them...
IMG_8405.jpg
Front grids fold down for easy removal when switching the fleece.
IMG_8309.jpg

kadege

Cavy Slave
Just switched out to fleece today! Peanut Butter (seen hiding in his tunnel) was popcorning like crazy as I was switching Honey's side. He loves it!
photo 3.jpg
Honey, on the other hand, isn't quite sure what to think yet. He's been just sitting here taking it all in. I cut his fleece/Uhaul pads a little short so he has a towel kitchen until tomorrow when I can buy another U-haul pad
photo 2.jpg

Here's a picture from above of both sides. My next addition will be giving them each a fleece forest in the corners!
photo 1.jpg

Please ignore all the bedding on the floor (a major part of why I switched to fleece!) I was too excited to take a picture to wait til I had vacuumed.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
It's been a while since I've posted cage pictures. I just finished semi remodeling my cage. I replaced the 7yr old coroplast and it used to be 2 stacked cages, but now that I have a herd getting along, I have no need for it anymore! It's a 2x5 on a stand meant for a 2x4, and the stand really needs to be repainted! I built the stand 4 years ago, it's all MDF and plywood and very very sturdy, with lot's of storage! The picture frame on the wall is waiting for a good group shot of the girls Charlie-Muffin (7yrs), Penelope (5yrs), and Squiggles (2yrs). Also the coroplast sides are only 4ish inches since I got the new coroplast last minute at Home Depot. I really like bright colors and white by the way lol!

View attachment 68265

View attachment 68266
Love!

Flowering

Cavy Slave

Gorgeous. What pet do you have under the heated lamps

View attachment 68265

View attachment 68266

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Gorgeous what pet do you have under the heated lamps

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
This is just the basic cage now. I want to add a loft soon and lift it off the ground. Plus I'm currently making more cuddle sacs and beds for Lilly and Belle.

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
This is what happens when I have an afternoon free and extra grids, coroplast, and zip ties.
The boys got a loft :)
they still haven't figured out the ramp though
image.jpg

Attachments

image.jpg

kaitlynsara06

Cavy Slave
IMG_5398[1].jpgIMG_5397[1].jpgIMG_5399[1].jpgIMG_4554[1].jpgthis is my boys cage! i am currently sewing more cuddle cups and fleece tunnels for the cage! I made the tent for them and a bunk bed. any other suggestions?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
@blessedmom you can go to any sign shop just tell them your measurements. Home depot also sells large sheets that I believe is big enough for a 2x5.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
So excited! Moved the cage into the living room! The boys were in my daughter's room (except when we got them out for floor time and play) but she's been playing her music now and wants to be loud so I used it as a reason to move the cage out here. I love to sit next to them and watch them do what they do.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
@blessedmom you can go to any sign shop just tell them your measurements. Home depot also sells large sheets that I believe is big enough for a 2x5.
That's perfect. I found a great deal on some panels and am waiting for a reply from them before I buy just to get confirmation that they are in fact the correct safe size. From there I want to build a 2 x 4 but use my Midwest cage to customize a larger cage. I just have to do it all on a small budget.

What about the sides? When people build their own, do they normally get small coroplast strips to put along the walls?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
What about the sides? When people build their own, do they normally get small coroplast strips to put along the walls?

No you have to score the coroplast. Once you measure the base you add 6 inches for the sides and score. Here's where it shows step by step (broken link removed)

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
No you have to score the coroplast. Once you measure the base you add 6 inches for the sides and score. Here's where it shows step by step (broken link removed)
Thank you for the help!

edica

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I just want to express how thankful I am for this forum. I had so many questions but I searched the entire forum and found almost every answer I needed. So thank you! I welcomed two female guinea pigs and couldn't wait to build them their cage. I'm bummed the 2 yards of bedding fleece doesn't completely cover the front of the coroplast bottom, but I know next time to buy 3 yards. I built the ramp last night out of two grids, then I made a coroplast bottom and cut little coroplast steps and superglued them on there, then placed a towel over it. Last night the younger piggie went up and down the ramp twice and checked out the loft so I'm happy about that. This morning I added a shelf liner in hopes it would add more grip, but I would love your opinion if I should keep it or not (I'm hoping it won't be a problem for their nails since the liner has tiny little holes). The ramp is secured to the loft on one side by a zip tie onto the grid, and on the other side the ziptie is secured to the coroplast base and the ramp is secured to the ziptie by a large paperclip I circled a few times around the ziptie. I'm thinking I probably should cut the zip time that connects the ramp to the loft grid and do the paperclip option for easy removal. Also, I placed a brick on the bottom of the ramp as a step. Anyway, let me know what you think!

guinea1.jpg
Front view
guinea 2.jpg
Back of the cage/behind the ramp
guinea3.jpg
Loft

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.