Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Calcium

HappyPiggies14

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! So my girls will be 6 months on October 15th. I've been giving them the young guinea pig food. I placed an order for kms timothy pellets and it should be here any day now. Here's my question. I have very little young guinea pig food left and I really don't want to buy a whole bag at this point. If I start giving them the timothy pellets, is this ok? If I need to still give extra calcium, what veggies would you recommend?

miniver

Cavy Slave
Just my two cents, I've seen many people on this site recommend slowly changing their diet instead of doing it all at once. There's a better chance they will accept the chages without a fuss that way. That's working well for me at the moment.

I'm starting to wean my girls off calcium rich foods. I had been feeding them alfalfa mixed in with their timothy hay and oxbow young cavy pellets. I've stopped the alfalfa, beause I ran out. I've been giving them 50/50 of the young and adult cavy pellets. I'm cutting out the yound cavy all together this weekend. So far, so good.

I was feeding them dandelion leaves as a calcium supplement. They loved it, gobbled it up like mad. But after a while I started seeing white grit in their urine, so I stopped the dandelion.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I have also heard that if you wean them off too slow they could be picky, and only eat the old food. I have always changed cold turkey, but I think it depends on the pickiness of your pigs.

HappyPiggies14

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys!!! :-D

miniver

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.