Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Convincing Parents for Craigslist Piggies

Cativision

Cavy Slave
I have been recently looking for a pair or trio of female pigs for my lone sow Saige.Saige is only about 7-8 months old,and she has been alone ever since I got her from Petco. I got a pair of of other pigs the same time as I got Saige,but I kept them separate because Saige was my sister's pig and the other two were mine. Unfortunately,both of my Petco pigs died very young,and since they died,I vowed to never buy a pig from a pet store again. I have no piggy rescues around me (except for one,I emailed them a few days ago and now waiting for a response) and if it doesn't work out,I really want to get Saige a few buddies from Craigslist. I actually have a CL piggy right now,a three year old boar called Hurley. His owner's husband was allergic to him,and they had to give him up. I would love to get another CL piggy,but the issue is,my mom is very iffy of getting anything off CL. I can't really blame her though,with all those CL horror stories on the news and such,it's scary. The person giving up Hurley was just as nervous as my mom. My mom only got me Hurley off CL because I was depressed after both of my pigs died,and my aunt
told her about how she always gets her ferrets off CL,and mentioned there are a lot of pigs on CL. I really want a buddy for Saige,but my mom is nervous of getting anything of CL.Anyways to help me ease her thought?

Thanks in advance!

Cativision

Cavy Slave
It might ease her worries to meet in a public place. I've never done the Craigslist thing, but if I was going to, I would meet in a grocery store parking lot or something like that instead of going to pick up at that person's house. Then you just hand over the money, get your pig, and leave, or if things go south, you can bail a lot more easily.
I read up somewhere about that,it seems like a good idea. I had to foster a few ferrets a while,and someone else decided to take them off our hands,so we met at a gas station to do the exchange. Perhaps it's the same thing? My mom picked Hurley up at his owner's house,I think that's why she's so nervous.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
If there's a police station nearby you can also meet in their parking lot (if they have one) I have friends who do that when they buy on Craigslist.

pinky

Cavy Slave
All 4 of my current guinea pigs are from Craigslist. One came from a home where a young couple was being foreclosed on. I took my adult son with me. The second one was supposed to be a feeder but the person was too attached to her and decided to give her up on craigslist. She gave me her for free. I went myself that time but decided that's really not smart so I always go with someone or meet in a public place now. I took my son with me to meet a woman at a gas station to get the third one. The last one came from Indiana. They were only asking $5 for her but I offered $30 if they'd meet me halfway and they agreed. My husband went with me and we met in a Sportsmart parking lot.

Cativision

Cavy Slave
I can understand why your mom is skeptical to adopt from a party on Craiglist. I felt the same way when I found my canary on Craiglist after my other one passed away. I emailed back and forth with her granddaughter for a few days and she sent me pictures of the bird. Even though we were a little concerned, we went to the owners home to see the canary with plans to adopt him if he looked okay. The owner turned out to be an absolutely wonderful elderly lady who was going into an assisted living facility and could no longer keep him. She had bought him as a pet for her late husband to keep him company during his final stages of cancer. He had passed away a few months earlier and she did not know at the time that she bought the bird that her own health would deteriorate so quickly and she would have to rehome him. She showed me pictures of her husband sitting with the canary. She was so happy to know that "Sunny" was going to a good home. She cried when we left but I gave her a hug and told her that he would be well cared for.
I sent her granddaughter an email the next day to tell her that everything went fine during our drive home. She was happy to hear from us and she told us her grandmother was so relieved to know that her canary would be well loved.

I realize that not everyone on Craigslist is that nice but as long as you have a good feeling about them and take someone with you I feel that it probably would be okay.
Aww,that is such a sweet and sad story :( When my mom texted Hurley's owner,she was just as nervous as we were. She had many inquires on him,but she didn't really trust any of them. When my mom texted her,his owner said that for some reason she felt that we were the ones. She was sad too, she kept telling him that he loved him and that he was going to a good home. We texted her back and forth letting her know that he was fine and settled in nicely,and she was so happy! We send her updates on him every once in a while.
The piggies I am looking at right now are three older sows.They don't have much listed about them,besides how old they are,and that they will only give them to someone with guinea pig experience and one who will actually keep them as pets,not as feeders. While they don't have much info on them,if we are really interested then we will text them asking for more information. If the rescue doesn't reply in a week, (they are pretty busy,so I won't rush them) I will look into getting these pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.