Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Temporary cage

Jesus1551

Cavy Slave
I bought grids online that should come in about a week but I really want a pair of guinea pigs now, is there anything I can use as a temporary cage for the guinea pigs like a playpen?

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Where would you go to get this pair of guinea pigs now? Sometimes if you adopt them from Craigslist or some shelters, they'll come with their current cages, which would be okay for a week, if you've got to have pigs now. I adopted my first from Craigslist, and she came with a teeny tiny cage but I hadn't got my C&C quite yet, so I figured a couple days in the tiny cage would be worth a lifetime in a big one... Someone else might have picked her up off Craigslist and kept her in the teeny cage!

Jesus1551

Cavy Slave
Where would you go to get this pair of guinea pigs now? Sometimes if you adopt them from Craigslist or some shelters, they'll come with their current cages, which would be okay for a week, if you've got to have pigs now. I adopted my first from Craigslist, and she came with a teeny tiny cage but I hadn't got my C&C quite yet, so I figured a couple days in the tiny cage would be worth a lifetime in a big one... Someone else might have picked her up off Craigslist and kept her in the teeny cage!

I'll probably get them at petco, do you think 2 of them would be fine in a small cage for a week?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Please don't buy pigs from Petco (or any other pet stores). They are bred in breeding mills, and are often sick, and mistreated.

You can adopt guinea pigs from shelter or rescues.
Look on petfinder.com, or call shelters in your area.

Jesus1551

Cavy Slave
Please don't buy pigs from Petco (or any other pet stores). They are bred in breeding mills, and are often sick, and mistreated.

You can adopt guinea pigs from shelter or rescues.
Look on petfinder.com, or call shelters in your area.

Unfortunately the shelters near me only have cats and dogs, no guinea pigs anywhere, not even on Craigslist

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Please don't get them at Petco. The pigs at Petco and pet stores in general are often mis-sexed and sick. The females can be pregnant from the mis-sexing, and their mothers are bred back to back until death. The conditions are deplorable and veterinary care is limited, so things like upper respiratory infections, mites and ringworm are all common. It would make sense to "rescue" them from the pet store, except when you buy a pig at a pet store, you're telling them that there is interest, and some female guinea pig somewhere is having more babies to replace the ones you bought, who then have to go through the whole thing again, so it's a never-ending cycle that only ends when you take your business elsewhere.

If you post your general location, i.e. nearest city, we can help you find them at a shelter or rescue, and you can also look on Craigslist. Sometimes a family member is allergic, or a baby is on the way and the humans aren't prepared for pets and babies, so most of the piggies are just unlucky and much healthier than pet store piggies on the whole. You can choose from so many more piggies, with varying ages, many of whom have been around people, and therefore are more social and friendly than the piggies at Petco. You can even find babies from the pet store accidents, or decide that maybe you're not really excited about babies, and get older cuddlier pigs. I've adopted all my piggies from Craigslist, and it's been awesome.

Sorry @lissie about the double post...

EDIT: If there are pigs sold at the pet store then there are families who find allergies, or are having life event where they don't want the piggies anymore. Please let us know your location and we'll do what we can to help you find rescue piggies :)

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Where are you located (just general area, county, state)? We can help you locate adoptable guinea pigs.

Jesus1551

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys, will definitely try to reach this shelter and adopt a couple piggies!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I would suggest looking for a pair of adult pigs. I just adopted my first pigs ever last week. They are 3 1/2 years old and are really tame. They ate veggies from our hands on day 1. Last night Lucy snuggled in my lap for 30 minutes and nearly fell asleep! My friends have 7 month old pigs that they've had since babies and they are still all skittish and squirmy. I'm so happy with my choice to get adult pigs!

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Ditto on not buying from Petco or Petsmart. I bought a guinea pig from Petco for $30 in February and as of yesterday, I have spent around $400 in vet bills for all of the problems she has. I love her to death and don't regret getting her, but I will not step foot in another Petco or Petsmart after all of this.
My other two pigs were found on Craigslist, which is a great way to give unwanted pets homes if you can't find any at the shelters in your area.

wombats

Cavy Slave
Agreed! Many shelters have bonded pairs of guinea pigs that have to be adopted together. They're typically a year or two old, but it's guaranteed they'll get along and you're certain of their personalities. :) plus they can be just as rewarding, if not more so, as baby piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.