Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My Piggie Has Been Sold on..

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
oh.. i forgot, i still have to keep them out doors.. my mum hates the smell.. and she says i wasn't staying on top of it and i can't persuade her.. but she is going to pay for shed insulation!!

i have got a nice big cage for £50! 3 x 6 i believe!! xx it comes with corro as well!

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
oh.. i forgot, i still have to keep them out doors.. my mum hates the smell.. and she says i wasn't staying on top of it and i can't persuade her.. but she is going to pay for shed insulation!!

i have got a nice big cage for £50! 3 x 6 i believe!! xx it comes with corro as well!

I wouldn't get them then or get a pet that you can keep indoors. If her reasoning is that you weren't staying on top of it, you'll be less inclined to keep up with it when they're outdoors. A smelly cage outdoors is bound to attract insects. It makes much more sense to keep them indoors AND keep their cage clean. Part of pet ownership requires a commitment to that animal to see that it's needs are being met.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
she said if i prove i can keep up with it when they are outside for a 8 months, she will let me bring them inside!! and the purchase is complete!! we will be collecting the piggies in mid august, we have decided to keep the piggies that come with the cage! too cute!lol!

xx

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Maybe a better option would be for her to just let you keep them inside from the beginning, until she actually notices a smell. Then she could make you take them outside, but that would never have to happen if you keep their cage clean. Or you could try to persuade her to shorten the time period that they have to be outside. I still don't think you should get pigs at all unless you can keep them inside all the time.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I would recommend you not get the pigs at all if you can't keep them indoors.

Last edited:

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Or you could try to persuade her to shorten the time period that they have to be outside. I still don't think you should get pigs at all unless you can keep them inside all the time.

I agree. Eight months seems like really long (and kind of arbitrary) amount of time. What happens if after those eight months she doesn't feel like you've kept it clean and won't let you bring them in? What happens if the shed isn't working out (For example, if, as @pinky mentioned above, insects are attracted to the smell and bite the pigs, or get in their food? Or you notice predators trying to get in? Or predators do get in and hurt/kill your pigs? Or there are reports of a pig snatcher in your area? Or they are getting too hot/cold?)? What will you do with them then? I know you feel like we are criticizing, but we are concerned about the welfare of pigs and it definitely doesn't feel like you are taking what is best for them into consideration.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
i know.. but they will have to go to this horrid mucky shelter, the only one near us.. the person cannot afford to drive further, mum will not drive them somewhere safer and cleaner.. i cannot cancel now.. the piggies really like me, and the shed is really well insulated, and as i have said before, we have a whole month to prepare!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Ditto @ginipigsinspace what happens if something aweful happens to them will your mom allow them inside. There are just to many variables outside. We're not trying to criticize you we just want you to understand. If you can't keep them inside get some other kind of pet like a fish or something. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with them outside. Anything can happen when your asleep and you wouldn't know it till the morning.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
i have just spoken to my mum, she has said i can keep them inside, but if it starts to smell, she wants them outside.. actually i threatened that they would get eaten and i would be devastated.. very true.. so i think things are sorted!

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
i have just spoken to my mum, she has said i can keep them inside, but if it starts to smell, she wants them outside.. actually i threatened that they would get eaten and i would be devastated.. very true.. so i think things are sorted!

That is great news! Now you just need to come up with a method to keep it smell-free. You will notice there are a lot of different theories on the best bedding to cut down on smell. I know I've been particularly impressed with the fleece/uhaul (further evidenced by the contrast of how little it smells when it's assembled, and how badly it smells when I take it apart to wash). However, you do need to launder it, and if your mom is squeamish about smell she might also be squeamish about you using her washer and dryer to wash something saturated in pig pee. Also, if you are not diligent about spot cleaning 1-2 times a day, it can start to smell quickly. Since you are in a high-risk situation here, you may want to spot clean even more. I use a hand vacuum which is quick and easy, but can make the pigs a little nervous if they are in the cage so spot cleaning in our house usually coincides with floor time. I also have a kitchen area for them, but that also smells quickly because they like to pull down hay and pee on it--which makes for a rather fragrant potpourri, so that also needs to be cleaned often. I know @bpatters uses pellets under fleece, and other members use all pellets, or all carefresh... If you do a search with the keyword "bedding" I'm sure you will find a wealth of useful information. I think it's best to do some preliminary reading yourself before you ask questions, if you can.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@lissie i know, but they have just told those people that they can't have them!

why are you being so negative towards me? do you not like me?

@ginipigsinspace

Thank you for the smell tips, i will discuss this with my mum tomorrow, it is like 11pm here, so bedtime for mum!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
We're not trying to be negative we're just a little confused is all.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@lissie i know, but they have just told those people that they can't have them!

why are you being so negative towards me? do you not like me?

@ginipigsinspace

Thank you for the smell tips, i will discuss this with my mum tomorrow, it is like 11pm here, so bedtime for mum!

The thing is, you really just want someone to tell you that what you want to do is just peachy. People have nicely tried to tell you that what you want is not in the best interest of the pigs. You have ignored and argued with many well meaning, helpful, knowledgable people and then proceed to say they are negative and criticizing you. Why not just do what you want to do and stop asking questions you don't really want the answers to?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I swear by a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water for cage cleaning. I put it in a spray bottle and use it the same way you would an antibacterial spray, and it keeps the girls cage smelling fresh (and it's 100% safe to use). I recommend you also spot clean twice daily to be on the safe side and appease your mum, so as no mess can be built up to a significant degree. Making sure any frequently toileted areas have extra absorption will also make a good difference.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
She's really not thought your just perceiving it that way. She's only trying to help and probably just confused like the rest of us.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
not you @Starthecavy123 , I mean @lissie, she seems real hostile towards me, in scolding pms and stuff..

I don't think it's very fair or well mannered to accuse a person of disliking you after they've clearly tried to keep any issues private via personal message, and are only trying to help you be the best pet owner that you can be. This isn't the sort of forum where all ideas are praised and welcomed, if someone has an issue, they tell you, because it's about learning and developing as a pig owner. You're getting advice off one of the most experienced members of the site, and should try to follow it. Bear in mind it's also hard to determine a person's tone over the internet.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Some things you read on the internet you can't read with a certain tone cause it may not be right.

LilliAndFelix

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
The thing is, you really just want someone to tell you that what you want to do is just peachy. People have nicely tried to tell you that what you want is not in the best interest of the pigs. You have ignored and argued with many well meaning, helpful, knowledgable people and then proceed to say they are negative and criticizing you. Why not just do what you want to do and stop asking questions you don't really want the answers to?
hey, you are making me look like the bad guy here, and there isn't one everyone is trying to help, and some people have just been plain mean, they don't understand mine or the piggies situation, i have met the people who they would have gone to, these piggies need someone who knows how to hold a piggie, this person thought they were gerbils..

i know that everyone wants to be told what they are doing is great, and when its not, people tell them gently that that isn't quite right.. and i am not saying everyone here was mean and horrid, most people here were really nice and helpful, but i think people have completly forgotten what this thread is called.. and i really want these piggies to be happy, i know that all people have is their best interests at heart, but please do NOT accuse me of not wanting whats best for these piggies, because that is all i want, I don't know if Felix is Safe, but I want to be sure that these piggies are, now they will be inside in a c&c cage, no shed, i will keep on top of the smell, they will be fine

btw I the reason i joined this thread to was to meet people who are also obssesed with cavies and to get advice.. not be scolded for something i haven't even done yet. Most people here have been nice, but you are judging me on my response to 2 people out of many..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.