Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Winter Diet

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Does anyone change their piggy diet during the winter months? Adding different veggies to give them a little extra? I don't know if this is the correct way to put it, but my pigs and I are moving to a different state, and it gets really cold during winter and even though we will have a space heater I'd like to plan their diet if it needs some change. I currently feed 1 or 2 leaves of lettuce, 1 grape tomato, 1/8 of bell pepper, 1 baby carrot and a small pidce of butternut squash.per pig per day.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I don't change my pigs diet during the winter months. I do live in the PNW where the weather is rather temperate. I wouldn't think any change in your piggy diet would be necessary even if the new state is much colder than your previous one. The diet that you feed your pigs is almost identical to what I feed. I do add radicchio and endive.

Good luck with your move.

I currently live in California and haven't been able to find Radicchio or Endive to add to my pigs diet :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't believe you can't find radicchio and endive in California! Not every grocery store will carry them, particularly endive, but any grocery store of a decent size should have radicchio.

I don't make any changes in diet between winter and summer. Of course, winter means the month of February here, so it wouldn't be worth while to change anything for that short a period of time!

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I can't believe you can't find radicchio and endive in California! Not every grocery store will carry them, particularly endive, but any grocery store of a decent size should have radicchio.

I don't make any changes in diet between winter and summer. Of course, winter means the month of February here, so it wouldn't be worth while to change anything for that short a period of time!

I've been to pretty much every store in my city (Safeway, walmart, Trader Joes). They have red cabbage but not radicchio. We're moving to Montana soon.That means winter September through May. But thanks for the info! I'm gonna try Whole foods today. See if they sell radicchio

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I live in an area with winters similar to where you're going. You should have no real trouble finding fresh veggies, but beware that they will cost more during winter months. My boys always had everything they needed, the only trouble being that dandelion was somewhat sporadic during winter months but everything else was generally available.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I live in an area with winters similar to where you're going. You should have no real trouble finding fresh veggies, but beware that they will cost more during winter months. My boys always had everything they needed, the only trouble being that dandelion was somewhat sporadic during winter months but everything else was generally available.

Thanks for your answer!! I'm used to paying a lot for veggies. Right now I live in the SF bay area and man, the prices... hahaha I was never able to find dandelion besides the one that grows outside (but it's soiled by pets). I know some people get it in bags, dry.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I never change my pigs diet during the winter months. I hope early don't think they realize the changes in seasons really. They are kept inside in where the temperature is always controlled.

I will second the note about the price of vegetables increasing in the winter! In August, I can get a head of green leaf lettuce for around a dollar. Where last winter there were a couple times I was paying $4.29 for the same product.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I never change my pigs diet during the winter months. I hope early don't think they realize the changes in seasons really. They are kept inside in where the temperature is always controlled.

I will second the note about the price of vegetables increasing in the winter! In August, I can get a head of green leaf lettuce for around a dollar. Where last winter there were a couple times I was paying $4.29 for the same product.
Wow where do you live? I pay 1.99 a head of green lettuce all year round at Safeway. (2.99 is the most i've paid for it at a different supermarket)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I live in an expensive metro area, the best prices I've found on veggies are at the Asian/International grocery store. And the produce section is so extensive they have fruits and veggies I've never even heard of.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
The joys of Canada (Southern Ontario)! Our dollar tanked and buying produce last winter wasn't pleasant.

When you can buy local produce in the summer it's much cheaper, even right now I'm getting lettuce for about $1.50 a head but it's January to March that's really pricey.

When I'm at school I also don't have a car and am reliant on my city's public transit so I'm restricted to only 2 grocery stores for produce. I'm interested to see the price of things this winter.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
The joys of Canada (Southern Ontario)! Our dollar tanked and buying produce last winter wasn't pleasant.

When you can buy local produce in the summer it's much cheaper, even right now I'm getting lettuce for about $1.50 a head but it's January to March that's really pricey.

When I'm at school I also don't have a car and am reliant on my city's public transit so I'm restricted to only 2 grocery stores for produce. I'm interested to see the price of things this winter.

Awww that sucks! Hoping the prices are not too bad this winter. I'll definitely pay more attention this year to any changes in prices.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.