Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea's Story has Ended

CutsieCavies

Cavy Slave
Hello all. Please know that it took a lot of courage to post this, and that what I am about to write pains me very much.

Guinea, my oldest Guinea Pig passed away this morning. I found her on her side cuddled up in the corner of her cage. The rigor mortis had already set in and her little body was cold. I knew this day was coming so two days ago, I wrote her a letter. In this letter was her story, and today I want to share it. Her story is a sad one, and I am in it all the way through.

Please know that I am expecting judgement, and that I have beaten myself up over and over because of it, so please don't be to mean!

Dear Guinea,
In 2007, when I was 7 years old, I picked you up from the petstore. I had saved up all my money, and was determined to give you the best life that a 7 year old possibly could. I fell in love wih your red eyes. To others they were scary but to me they were like the rising of the sun. I brought you home and while my parents played board games, I held you in my arms. You were so small.

The years went by and I "lost interest in you." You sat alone in your cage, spending your days in solitary confinement, My life went on but yours was put on hold. Eventually you were moved out of my room, and put in our living room squished behind the dining room table. Every once in a while you would get carrot peels or the tops of various vegetables. Your cage was rarely cleaned. It hurts so much to say but you were neglected. I am so sorry...how could i have let that happen to you? Then you started to go blind. I wonder how it felt, to see clearly and everything go blurry until, nothing. Then, one day at the dinner table when I was 14, I suddenly regained interest of you. Is int that disgusting to say... You were so frail and uncertain of your new surroundings, but I feel that you wholeheartedly forgave me. Only then did I find all of your problems. You had bumblefoot, scars from mites, you were underwieght and you had arthritis. You had even lost your ability to wheek. I am so sorry I let these things happen to you. You remained so thankful to me, when in reality I was in debt to you.

Then one day I came home. It was a few weeks after I got Pig. You were huddled up in the corner of your cage with dead eyes. There was mushy poop everywhere. You were hot. I acted as best I could, I brought you and Pig outside to eat grass, and I deep cleaned your cage. It took me an hour. When I was done, you were good as new.

But, your struggle was not over.

Over the next few monthes old age started to take hold of you. An here I am. Facing euthenization.
Such a horrible word. I can't do that to you.

So now Guinea, I offer you a choice. You can stay here or you can leave and cross the rainbow bridge. All your struggles shall be over. It is up to you. But Guinea I love you. I am so sorry I wasent there for you. You were such a good pig. I was LUCKY! I didnt deserve you but am glad we found each other. You will always be in my heart Guinea. I LOVE YOU! With all my heart. Your fur has soaked u my tears time and time again, and I hope to one day return the favor. May you find your sight again, regain strength and run wheeking in the grass.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

I love you dearly Guinea. Goodnight.

yubie

Cavy Slave
My heart goes out to you. You were very young when you got her and you're still young when she passed over the bridge. You have learnt so much from the experience and gave so much in the terms of love. Do not beat yourself over this as it was normal for you to lose interest over a period of time. In actuality, you should applaud yourself, grieve for guinea, yes, and let go. Applaud yourself that at this very age you can express yourself so eloquently, that you're able to be interested in this board and contribute to it. That you notice changes in your gp and was willing to seek suggestions. I applaud you. You are very exceptional.
I am sorry to hear of the condition that Guinea was under, but know that she is no longer suffering or in pain. May Pig enjoy your comfort, love and experience as she grow up beside you. High School is hectic, but may Pig never know and always have the love that you are so capable of giving. May Guinea continue to be in your heart to straighten you and Pig there to comfort you. You have done well, despite the past.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I have a few things I could say, but honestly there's not much point to it now. At least you regret what you did and you know neglecting her in such a way was wrong. Not many people are willing to own up to that, and I give credit where credit is due, so thank you for that. I hope from now on you will learn from your mistakes and make sure you give any future piggies the kind of life you would have wanted Guinea to have.

My condolences.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
This made my heart ache. It certainly says a lot about you that you are self-reflective and have taken full responsibility. Your regret comes through in your letter to her. The greatest gift that you can now give her and her memory is the gift of providing as much love, care, and attention to your existing and future animal companions. It was very courageous of you to share this. Go spoil Pig in her memory!

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I'm the polar opposite of an emotional person, and this brought tears to my eyes. Not many people would be willing to own up to mistakes like you did, and I commend you for that. You were only seven;you couldn't have known better. There was no way for you to know better. Give Pig all the love and attention you can, and give her a pat on the head for me.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Popcorn free, Guinea.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
I hope as people we learn from our past .I'm so so sorry for your loss but she didn't pass until she felt love again from you so she waited until you came back to her.she's all healed now and when she sees you again she can take you over the rainbow bridge because she knows you lived her.popcorn free and God speed little guinea.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Oh, [MENTION=34944]CutsieCavies[/MENTION]... you made my eyes well up and my lips started to tremble. In her last days, you gave Guinea everything a pig could ever desire, and she knew love. True, her beginning was rocky, but her finish was glorious.

CutsieCavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks all for the support I have received. I will continue to keep Guinea in my heart and spoil Pig and Punk. Thanks all again.

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
Stay strong, you will not get judgement from me, just do your very best not to blame your younger self, and continue to love and care for your pigs that you have. Guinea can play with all 5 of my piggies, Dexter being the one who passed a month ago.... Breath and put your sadness from your younger self into doing the very best for those left. Take care. Your post brought me to tears. As i have also been with all 5 of my pigs when they passed and i know how it feels to see them that way. Just remember them for their personality.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
1.jpg.cf.jpg she's missing and waiting for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.