Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Is My Menu Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
You have to many Cherry Tomatos, that is just my thoughts though.
Yes, you can have your thoughts, my pigs looovvveee them, and can have them everyday, as it says 'almost daily' on the list Ly&Pigs made,

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yes, you can have your thoughts, my pigs looovvveee them, and can have them everyday, as it says 'almost daily' on the list Ly&Pigs made,

They may love them But it is not good for them to have them twice a day. They said almost daily.

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
You have to many Cherry Tomatos, that is just my thoughts though.

Tomatoes as most fruits are high in acid and if fed on a daily basis will cause sores in its mouth.
This might not be true but it is what I know of it.

Tomatoes, are not fruits to guinea pigs, just to let you know,

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
They may love them But it is not good for them to have them twice a day. They said almost daily.

yeah,its says 1-2 per day so if i give half of one in the morning and one at night, what does that equal out to? oh thats right 1 and a half ,

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave

seida

Cavy Slave
Tomatoes, are not fruits to guinea pigs, just to let you know,

That may be, but I'm afraid a guinea pig's opinion doesn't change the fact that tomatoes are, in fact, fruits.

You seem very confrontational.

My only question about your menu is, is it per pig? it doesn't specify. It seems like an awful lot of veggies for just one pig.

jussiecar

Cavy Slave
Almost daily means they can have the item most days... a cherry tomato per day is perfectly acceptable. According to the chart 1-2 cherry tomatoes per day per pig is acceptable... Maybe you should read the chart before you criticize another person.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730

Before you say things like that maybe you should read the thread and see that rodent cuddles was actually the one who has been criticized by the OP on what her/his guinea eats, when all they did was try offer help and even posted their food chart for them to share and the OP was quite rude :(

Roo99

Cavy Slave
@lovemypigs-If you asked for help and constructive criticism on your nutrition chart, then you should expect to receive it; no one is trying to bully you, just help you out. If you didn't want feedback then you should not have asked.

pinky

Cavy Slave
The key is moderation. I watch the calcium, sugar and oxalic acid content to make sure I don't overfeed anything with high levels and in some cases avoid those foods. I'd say the primary things I feed are red and green lettuce, endive, radicchio, corn husks when in season, cilantro & peppers. The favorite food around her is definitely radicchio. All of mine love it. I supplement with smaller amounts of romaine, chopped celery, tomatoes, an occasional baby carrot (but not every day) and tiny amounts of fruit, though not on a regular basis. I eliminated romaine when it was suggested it could cause sludge but I haven't seen evidence of it so I now offer it in smaller amounts. I offer them bits of fruit I cut off of fruit that I buy for us, such as the watermelon rinds' when we eat watermelon or tiny bits of apples. I offer them a single blueberry now and then. They don't like oranges, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries so I don't offer any of those. Some of them like the strawberry leaves, though. I have no doubt that everyone who's commented on this thread carefully thinks out their pig's diets. As long as you follow the recommendations on the diet chart, there should be no problem and I wouldn't take suggestions personally. It's a discussion.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm both amused and a little annoyed that this thread seems to have turned into a competition/argument/childish back-and-forth between a handful of members.

@lovemypigs. - you wanted suggestions and comments on your diet. You got both. I'm sorry you don't like the content of some comments, but it is a thread you started, so I don't understand why you've gotten snippy and rude over suggestions you don't like.

@RodentCuddles - If you opt to share your diet, you have to expect that there might be some comments on it (right or wrong, good or bad). Everyone has an opinion and is going to share it. If someone makes a comment (ie, about fruit) that you don't like, you're welcome to take it or leave it. I'd hope that you would research the matter to see if there's any merit to what is said if it contradicts what you're doing, but that's up to you. Not worth getting worked up over.

To everyone else - the key is, indeed, moderation. Ly's chart is a good starting point for working out your own diet, but also keep in mind that it's a good idea to research these things yourself if you're concerned or worried or confused. (broken link removed) for comparing nutritional information of fruits and veggies (and other foods).

Now, because there are numerous threads on diets and suggested daily feeding, etc., and because this thread has devolved as it has, I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.