Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Black and Tan Coonhound- Long Thread with Pictures!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Hello GPC! I haven't been active for a while, I got caught up in life and school, and there wasn't much time for online stuff. The piggies are doing great and loving life! :D

Finally, after 6 years of begging, pleading, and some crying; I MIGHT BE GETTING A BLACK AND TAN COONHOUND!!! I fell in love with these dogs after reading "Where the Red Fern Grows". There is a 3-4 year old named "Bocephus" up for adoption in Michigan.

Its funny because last month mom said "No, your absolutely not getting one. -45% chance. No. Quit saving up money for something your not gonna get."

I brought him up as a long shot joke, really, last night after dinner. And 30 minutes after we finished talking, I sent an e-mail* with my parents to the rescue asking some questions about him!

Are there any specific things I should look for or ask if we do see him? He did come in with another dog**, but we won't be getting her. I'm not sure if I would train him for hunting, or if I even can due to his age. I have one chocolate lab, Hershey, and he is very good with other dogs, however, he still acts like a puppy and he's 2 years old and 90 pounds. I do have the 4 guinea pigs, but Bo won't be allowed to go anywhere near the piggies!

Basically, what I'm trying to ask/say: What are some Black and Tan Coonhound do's and dont's? What are your experiences with them and what have you found to be the best/easiest training methods?
I would like to train him for hunting, but before I go further; please do not comment about how bad and cruel hunting is. I hunt to get my own meat, and know where it comes from. Animals on farms don't get to live a free life, like the ones I hunt. I don't criticize you for being a vegan or vegetarian, and I would expect the same courtesy given to me in return. So, moving on: Do any of you have experience in training hounds to catch/follow a scent and will I be able to train him even with him no longer being a puppy?

Thanks y'all! Its real appreciated. I know it would just be cruel of me to not post pictures of him, so they will be in here somewhere! :)

*This was the e-mail:

Hello,
I was e-mailing "Last Day Dog Rescue" in reference to a Black and Tan Coonhound by the name of 'Bocephus'. I was curious if you would be so kind as to answer a few questions about the aforementioned canine.

1. How much does he currently weigh, from when he first arrived (54 pounds)?
2. How long has he been in the custody of LDDR?
3. Does he have health issues?
4. Does he have any allergies?
5. How much is his adoption fee?
6. Can he walk off leash?
7. Does he know his name/come when called?
8. What obedience training does he have?
9. Is he crate trained?
10. Does he have any problems with his ears/wrinkles?
11. Is he currently in a fenced in area/is he a runner (when you open the door does he take off)?
12. Is he left home alone with free reign or crated for long periods of time (1+ hours)?
13. Does he bark a lot?

Thank you in advance for answering! He's such a handsome hound.

** This was his biography off the adoption site:
Bocephus is a very handsome Black & Tan Coon Hound of approximately 3-4 years in age. He is a very friendly boy and passed all of our temperament testing, and shows no signs of aggression. He had probably been on his own, with Dixie Chick, for many weeks. They ended up at a shelter and their time was almost up so LDDR came to the rescue! He could use some training on a leash and being a hound, his nose will lead the way to critters so a fenced yard would be best for him. This poor fellow was emaciated at 54 lbs. He has a BIG appetite-who could blame him?! He is now at a healthy normal weight and his coat is bright and shiny.

Bocephus is friendly with kids and other dogs. He is active and loves to play and go for walks. Bocephus is laid back and a real lover, he likes to sit on laps and cuddle. He is loyal and follows the kids or me everywhere.

And on another section chart thing it says that he is neutered, good with dogs, good with kids, and house trained.

PICTURES!!!

Here was Bo when he first came to the rescue. He was
emaciated at 54 pounds (24.494 kilos/3.85714 stones)!!!

Another recent picture of Bo. He looks like a very handsome boy just
waiting for a permanent and loving family!

This is Bo as of recent; weight gained back, looking adorably
houndish, and ready to be adopted!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Hound dogs bark. :( They will bark at birds, at squirrels, at your guinea pigs LOL. It's part of their nature. Given he is a good temperament you can actually still train him. Old dogs can learn new tricks. :) Hounds are prone to ear infections. You have to keep them cleaned. Otherwise, they have a sensitive digestive system and can be prone to food allergies and skin allergies. :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@aspecht- My lab has some sort of allergy and he licks his paws horribly. Were working on a diet change to pin point what exactly he is allergic to.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
He's really cute, I'm glad your considering adopting a dog :). I adopted my black lab mix, Lucy, in July 2012, when she was around 3 months old, and I am INCREDIBLY glad I did, she's so sweet.

Anyways, as people said above, hounds howl. I don't really know if there's a way to stop it, just like beagles are known to bark, and mastiffs are known to slobber.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
@aspecht - My lab has some sort of allergy and he licks his paws horribly. Were working on a diet change to pin point what exactly he is allergic to.

Eliminate corn first. See if that helps. You can also soak his paws in baking soda to help alleviate the licking. :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Eliminate corn first. See if that helps. You can also soak his paws in baking soda to help alleviate the licking. :)
We eliminated corn a few months ago. He's on this all natural diet thing from the vet, and were seeing where it takes us. It seems to be doing pretty well.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@YourSoJelly I havent seen you in forever!! I just got back on yesterday as well! Welcome back! I got a new piggie too!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=24680]YourSoJelly[/MENTION] I havent seen you in forever!! I just got back on yesterday as well! Welcome back! I got a new piggie too!

B!!!!!! You're back! I know, this made my day! You got another piggie? How do your babies get along?

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I'm sad to inform you that Bo was adopted.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
@aspecht - My lab has some sort of allergy and he licks his paws horribly. Were working on a diet change to pin point what exactly he is allergic to.
I just recently went to a canine genetics seminar, and they're actually pinpointing that "allergy" as genetics. I was interested because some of the rottweilers in my line have the itchy feet thing. It's something to look into.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Well…. Exciting news! I got the go ahead to get a B&T Coonhound from my parents. The bad part though- we have yet to find a dog. I refuse to go to a breeder, and we found a perfect match about 4.5 hours away from us (Not Bocephus because he was already adopted). We filled out the adoption forms, emailed them and everything. A week later we received: "Sorry to inform you but the fosters don't want him that far away from them." And that was all we heard. That annoys me, because this dog would be going to a perfect home for him but the fosters don't want him that far away from them. I don't think that it was a fair situation to the dog, but oh well. We are still on the hunt for one, I just figured I would update you all.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Good luck Jelly Belly! Im in the hospital right now, hopefully getting discharged so I can go play with my babies! Hope you find the PERFECT dog for you!

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Dogs are so overbred that you'd be LUCKY to find one without some sort of allergy.
This is a hunting dog. He is bred to hunt. So don't be surprised if he shows some intense interest in your pigs and be prepared to secure your pigs as thoroughly as possible. Keep in mind, sometimes fosters like keeping in touch with those who have adopted their rescues. Sugar received a visit today from the rescue I adopted her from. Sweetie will be receiving a visit sometime next week since one of the fosters will be in the area.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@bguardguy- Oh no! I hope you're okay. I have an air purifier in my room, and it seems to work well. It's a "Holmes". It looks like an oval with a flat bottom and its black and shiny and really cool. hahaha I like it and i hope it works well with you!

Last edited:

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.