Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dog issues

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
okay, so I have a poodle, she's usually really good about going outside. Well, that last little bit, we've been taking her out, but all she's do is pee, she won't poop. And then she comes right back in and does it in the floor. Know I know this is a retailation for 'taking her humans' and too many changes recently but... seriously? She's about five so how do I really curb this behavior. And I also do have puppy pads.

anydue

Cavy Slave
I have found that it generally takes my dogs longer to poop than pee. If you will take your dog on a short walk, I bet that you will have more luck. Some dogs need that bit of exercise to get their system moving.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
yes I agree with Anydue! My dalmatian did the same thing if you did not give her her walks...she loved to be walked and she definitely took her time to do her poops. Unfortunately she got older and she ended up have bowel issues due to most likely cancer, so she was put down last month :'( But good luck with your doggie! I'd def try walks around the block. Something about the smells and movement made things move for her :)

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree that exercise is key! When you clean up after her you have to make sure it's cleaned very well so she doesn't get a wiff of the poop that was once there and want to do it again lol
Kelly91513, I'm sorry for your loss. My old dog had accidental pooping issues too when he was getting close to the end. It was because of his lower back problem, though. It's never easy to lose a loving friend.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Well we rescued her as she was abused and used as a breeding machine in very poor conditions. She had a lot of issues from physical to mental. She was very shy and afraid of loud noises and she had incontinence probably from having so many litters. She was a very sweet and cute doggie. But as she got older she really had bad incontinence and then arthritis in her back end and then she stopped eating and was very skinny and sick. They did tests and $500 later no answers as to what is wrong with her and they suspected cancer. So they decided the best thing to do was put her down. This was Brea:
Dog issues

anydue

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss, kelly91513! Ellisa makes a good point about the smell. I use Nature's Miracle Advanced to clean after my dogs have an accident. It helps to get rid of the enzymes that draw dogs back to having accidents in the same spot.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Aw what a beauty! I don't understand how people can be such jerks to animals. Thank you for rescuing her and giving her a wonderful life! Letting a pet go is never easy, but when it's time it's the must loving and selfless thing anyone could do.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
another possible thing you could consider/try if you haven't already is to give her a set diet and that way you can almost time her bowel movements. Also, do her bowel movements inside the house look normal?

anydue

Cavy Slave
Kelly91513, I have a puppy mill rescue as well-a Poodle. They are harder to potty train it seems because they were kept in cages for so long. My girl, Ruby's, mammory glands had been sucked on so many times that they hung almost to the floor. We had to have them removed when we got her. Puppy mills and other animal breeding people should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, and then some! Again, I feel for your loss. She was beautiful and I am sure eternally grateful for a wonderful home in the end.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
I love animals, especially dogs. Dogs are my world as I was raised with dogs my whole life. Currently don't have a dog as I moved to CA and live in an Apt that doesn't allow dogs. So I got pigs which led me here lol. Good luck with you doggie, I hope you can get her pooping under control. Its funny cause my sisters Chihuahua does it all the time. She has two and the youngest one who is 2 always does the same thing as your poodle, be she is a little crazy and not the brightest bulb in the bunch. lol She is the pickiest pooper in the doggie world. Takes her forever and when its cold out people's patience grow thin. So good luck, I understand your frustration!

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Oh and I forgot to mention, if she does go poop outside, reward her with enthusiastic verbal and physical praise, treats don't hurt either ;)

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
What do you mean, retaliation for "taking her humans?" I don't understand.

Are you catching her in the act when pooping in the house? Has she been punished for pooping in the house? Are the poops in the house she's having normal in consistency?

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
I had a similar issue when I moved to an apartment with my dog as he was use to his dog door. Whenever we found that he went to the bathroom we took him to it and put his face in it and told him bad dog. Also it helps if you have a spot you always go to. He has a spot for peeing and a spot for pooping. Give lots of praise when they go outside and give them enough time to go.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
kirsty, that does *not* work. Dogs think 'in the moment' if you don't catch him physically going the bathroom he will not associate the pooping inside with the punishment. It's a very out-dated training method and there are better ways to potty train a dog.

To the OP, has your routine changed lately? That can sometimes upset a dog and become a stressor and cause a dog to poop inside.

Has the dog been vet checked? A sudden lapse in potty training can sometimes indicate a medical or health issue.

If these have been ruled out go back to potty training 101. When the dog is inside, she is within your range of vision at all times. If you can't guarantee that, leash her to you or crate him. Take her outside every 15-20 minutes and when she goes reward *heavily* with high value treats (chicken, cheese, hotdog etc) then you can have playtime. If she doesn't go, she's releashed and gets no reward or playtime. Do *not* punish the dog. If you punish a dog for not going you can create another issue entirely. He wont go when there are humans around *at all*.

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
What do you mean, retaliation for "taking her humans?" I don't understand. Are you catching her in the act when pooping in the house? Has she been punished for pooping in the house? Are the poops in the house she's having normal in consistency?
The poops are normal, my father broke his hip and had to be moved to the nursing home for a short while. All this started when he went in, and stuff.

anydue

Cavy Slave
Well, being taken out of her normal home and routine can certainly be stressful for a dog. Please be patient with her. It is not retaliation. I don't think dogs have that feeling in their being. :) She will probably take some time to adjust to her new surroundings and is probably missing your dad. Also, Aertyn, I am right on track with you on your training style, but I did read somewhere once that you shouldn't overly praise a dog for doing something you want them to do. If you overly praise, they become fixated on the praise rather than remembering the action that you are working to praise. I am not sure if that is true or not, but I just pet mine on the head and tell them "good boy or girl." I have too many to give treats everytime they follow a command, plus most of my babies need to lose a pound or two, so more treats than what they already get, is probably not the best for them. I do think that training with little treats works though!

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
I went to edit my post and it wouldn't let me. lol my new messed up.

Anyways, I've trained all my dogs, I love working with them. But this blind sighted me. When we got her she had been abused, she still shows signs. But she came to my aunts and was horribly afraid of other dogs, and doesn't get along with them. So it's been a bit of struggle. :)

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Well, being taken out of her normal home and routine can certainly be stressful for a dog. Please be patient with her. It is not retaliation. I don't think dogs have that feeling in their being. :) She will probably take some time to adjust to her new surroundings and is probably missing your dad. Also, Aertyn, I am right on track with you on your training style, but I did read somewhere once that you shouldn't overly praise a dog for doing something you want them to do. If you overly praise, they become fixated on the praise rather than remembering the action that you are working to praise. I am not sure if that is true or not, but I just pet mine on the head and tell them "good boy or girl." I have too many to give treats everytime they follow a command, plus most of my babies need to lose a pound or two, so more treats than what they already get, is probably not the best for them. I do think that training with little treats works though!
Using cooked small pieces of chicken is a good treat. I don't believe in overly praising a dog. Once a dog has learned with the praising treats you slowly work on verbal and physical praise. Positive training is the best way to train. Especially small dogs like mini poodles and chihuahuas. It's how I trained my dogs and they are well behaved. If your dog is getting over weight from the treats your doing it wrong.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
But like we talked about before it's probably because a change in her routine and that has got her system all out of wack. Like my rescue sometimes they are psychologically damaged and will forever have issues. However this issue seems more scheduling her potty time related. So just get a new schedule going for her and try to be patient and rewarding when she does go outside. :)

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
But like we talked about before it's probably because a change in her routine and that has got her system all out of wack. Like my rescue sometimes they are psychologically damaged and will forever have issues. However this issue seems more scheduling her potty time related. So just get a new schedule going for her and try to be patient and rewarding when she does go outside. :)

Thanks, starting it today! Right know she's curled up in her chair sleeping :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.