Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Are pet store cages suitable for any other animal?

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
What do I do with this cage?
When we got Pixel and Pudge we didn't know any better and purchased a "starter" cage (and the stupid hay ball, that I won't use now). When I learned it wasn't enough space I bought everything to make a C&C cage. Now I have this cage and I'm wondering if it could be used for some other animal. I don't want to try to sell it as a guinea pig cage because it's not big enough to be one. Any ideas?
IMG_3978.jpg

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
It measures 28L x 17.5W x 15.5H

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I use one similar to that as a travel cage, if you don't have one.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
I use one like this for a syrian hamster

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
No. Please dear God no. Don't put even 1 in there. That was the ''kit'' cage that was recommended to me by a store clerk and I thought she was stark raving mad. Please think of yourself in something like that size translated to human size proportions.

You should keep in mind also that guinea pigs stuck in a tiny enclosure are more likely to develop infections because they're defecating and peeing in too small a space where they also have to eat and sleep. That tiny ledge is not acceptable either.

Tip:
I try to picture myself and my best friend or even someone I know well in the same size room proportionately and I think I would probably be the very aggressive guinea pig peeing on everyone in the eye and biting ears off demanding more space. It would be an extremely unpleasant experience. I didn't really think about size when I got my guinea pigs. I just got what I felt was good for 2 pigs at the time which was a 5 x 5 open air pen so about 25 sq feet. This seemed about the size of a respectable small apartment if translated to human proportions so it made sense. If you have other animals in the house, definitely get something with a lid or put them in a separate bedroom or spare room away from other animals like dogs and cats.

For the love of God don't ever put a guinea pig in that.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
@Sunrise OP knows it's too small for a guinea pig, they're trying to figure out what they can​ do with it.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
Thanks! In that case, having used a cage like that from the terrible advice from the store clerk for about 4 days, I didn't find it very sturdy and that ledge was a pain to clean.

I don't know what the policies are where you are with small terrapins (mini turtles about 1 inch long). With the deep sides, you could fill it with water halfway and the little terrapins (maybe no more than 3) could have a little pond. Put in a few flat rocks. The lid could keep out other animals like cats and other pets that might eat them.

I wouldn't put a mammal in there - perhaps a baby mouse or a couple of baby gerbils for temporary housing before they are sold or given away but no more than temporary.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
I've used those to grow wheat grass and baby leaf lettuce for the piggies.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
No. Please dear God no. Don't put even 1 in there. That was the ''kit'' cage that was recommended to me by a store clerk and I thought she was stark raving mad. Please think of yourself in something like that size translated to human size proportions.

You should keep in mind also that guinea pigs stuck in a tiny enclosure are more likely to develop infections because they're defecating and peeing in too small a space where they also have to eat and sleep. That tiny ledge is not acceptable either.

Tip:
I try to picture myself and my best friend or even someone I know well in the same size room proportionately and I think I would probably be the very aggressive guinea pig peeing on everyone in the eye and biting ears off demanding more space. It would be an extremely unpleasant experience. I didn't really think about size when I got my guinea pigs. I just got what I felt was good for 2 pigs at the time which was a 5 x 5 open air pen so about 25 sq feet. This seemed about the size of a respectable small apartment if translated to human proportions so it made sense. If you have other animals in the house, definitely get something with a lid or put them in a separate bedroom or spare room away from other animals like dogs and cats.

For the love of God don't ever put a guinea pig in that.

**When I learned it wasn't enough space I bought everything to make a C&C cage. Now I have this cage and I'm wondering if it could be used for some other animal.**

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You could take the top and door off and use it as a hay house and sit it in the c&c cage. Just take everything out and fill with hay, easy to dump and hopefully will keep the hay in.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
@Sunrise That could work, maybe, but they need UV light and that might be hard to mount on a cage like that. I still think it should be used as a travel cage or for a hamster or mouse with bar modification. Though you could use the bottom as part of a kitchen/litterbox for the pigs in the C&C cage.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the great ideas for how to use it for other purposes! You guys are fantastic!

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
By the looks of it it is WAYY to small for any hamster. I would just keep it as a carrier or use it as a hay rack. :)

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
Oh I didn't see the measurements. That is a perfect size! An you are correct 360 is the minimum!

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
Thanks! In that case, having used a cage like that from the terrible advice from the store clerk for about 4 days, I didn't find it very sturdy and that ledge was a pain to clean.

I don't know what the policies are where you are with small terrapins (mini turtles about 1 inch long). With the deep sides, you could fill it with water halfway and the little terrapins (maybe no more than 3) could have a little pond. Put in a few flat rocks. The lid could keep out other animals like cats and other pets that might eat them.

I wouldn't put a mammal in there - perhaps a baby mouse or a couple of baby gerbils for temporary housing before they are sold or given away but no more than temporary.

bad idea no pet terrapins are 1 inch the smallest are 5 inches and need a lot of floor space, they (mud and musk turtles being the smaller ones are also solitary animals) need filters, heat and UV lights basking areas etc. and they can and will climb never use plastics with aquatic animals as chemicals can leech into the water. also there is no where near enough water for them to live happily you would need atleast a base size of 40-50 gallons (height isnt as big of a issue but the water does need to be much higher than this cage.

just because they are reptiles does not mean they dont need room, and proper care.

use the base of the cage to grow things in or use the base as a kitchen area

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
You could always keep it as a carrier cage for car trips! I would take the hay ball out though.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
and as for using it for hamsters, the bars are too far apart, they could easily squeeze out of the cage. I had 2 hamsters growing up and one of them figured out how to open the door on his cage, got out, and SQUEEZED UNDER MY BEDROOM DOOR. His name was Rascal for a reason xD
But yeah, hamsters and probably rats/mice could easily squeeze between the gaps in the wires/bars and get out so be careful!

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
depending on your cage size (if your cage is 2 grids wide) you could modify that to be a second level. since you said its 28 by 15 inches, it sounds like it would perfect as a 1x2 sized loft

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've kept a couple of small cages for an emergency. At some point you might have to do a quarantine or have a situation where you need to house them temporarily somewhere else. We've had ice storms where we've had to move the guinea pigs in the lower level where it's more insulated. We can't move our large cages so I put them in there with regular bedding to keep them warmer. I also use some old cage bases to store things on shelves in my laundry room, too.

Wheekers135

Cavy Slave
@pinky has a good idea.
tornados are pretty common where I live and I actually keep an old cage set up down in the basement so if we do have time when there is a tornado threat, we can move all the animals down there

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.