Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Are Popsicles ok for piggies?(I know weird queation)

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
Ok first off I DO NOT give my piggy popsicles, I am merely stating this because of where I got my Izzy bear....I purchased/rescued her from a former friend (I've since cut all ties with them), they could not afford to feed her properly and gave her a few habits....
One of which is that she goes crazy if she sees someone with a Popsicle or if she smells it on their hands she will go crazy and try to lick them....I will not give her any of it so there is no worry usually we distract her with some apple and/or a strawberry.
I ask this question out of pure curiosity.:p

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
IDK about my piggies, I wouldn't give them a Popsicle..

but i am guilty on all accounts with my rattiest.. what I'm eating thy normally get a tinny bit too.. :eek:;)

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
Ive personally never tried this myself ,but i think that it MIGHT be okay if your piggy really wants a popsicle, it might be okay as a treat to blend some fruits or vegetables with a bit of water and then freeze them in popsicle molds for her!

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't really advise it too much since there is generally a lot of sugar and coloring agents in popsicles that they don't need in their diet (but much like humans can prove very enticing). I don't imagine it'll make them ill from a little bit on occasion, but there is little to no nutritional value in most popsicles other than sugars, which they don't need (even fruit and berries can provide a bit much sugar for them, so they should be saved for the occasion treat- just in case you weren't aware). Actual fruit popsicles (or as the poster above mentioned, homemade pops might be a great option) might be a bit better for a rare treat, especially if it gets really hot, but they often also contain dairy which piggies shouldn't be feed. Piggies will eat strange things that aren't always great for them if we offer it to them. I had GPs before when I was a lot younger (10+ years ago) and one of mine drank soup from a spoon...she actually learned how to drink off a spoon...

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are designed to have diets low in fat and sugar, popsicles are full of sugar, colouring agents and preservatives.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
You can freeze a small sized ice cube of unsweetened 100% cranberry juice diluted with water, and feed it as a treat.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I've made a few 'icy treats' for my pigs during hot weather. Carrot sticks and peas frozen into plain water (sometimes with a dash or fresh orange juice or a little cranberry juice). They went crazy over them. I wouldn't offer them human popsicles though, they aren't that great for us so I can't imagine it'd be healthy for a Guinea Pig.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Ive personally never tried this myself ,but i think that it MIGHT be okay if your piggy really wants a popsicle, it might be okay as a treat to blend some fruits or vegetables with a bit of water and then freeze them in popsicle molds for her!
That is an AWESOME idea! :D thanks! :)

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
You could maybe get sugarfree Popsicles too...but then someone already said that the coloring agents aren't good...I'm going to try the veggie blend, we have Popsicle molds here :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
You could maybe get sugarfree Popsicles too...but then someone already said that the coloring agents aren't good...I'm going to try the veggie blend, we have Popsicle molds here :)

Sugarfree popsicles & other "diet" products almost always have artificial sweeteners in them like aspartame & sucralose, which have been linked to many health issues.

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Thanks @HannibalLecter, I didn't know that! Good information, you guys always one-up me :p

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
IDK about my piggies, I wouldn't give them a Popsicle..

but i am guilty on all accounts with my rattiest.. what I'm eating thy normally get a tinny bit too.. :eek:;)

I do the same with my dog. Boo gets a bite of whatever I am eating.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
Wow thanks guys we do in fact make our own Popsicles with watermelon puree and other fruits no sugar added mostly since I cannot have dairy and >> I need to watch my sugar intake lol the other concern I had was if the cold would upset their stomachs

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Wow thanks guys we do in fact make our own Popsicles with watermelon puree and other fruits no sugar added mostly since I cannot have dairy and >> I need to watch my sugar intake lol the other concern I had was if the cold would upset their stomachs

I bet that is so good. i wonder if you took frozen watermelon and the like, pureed it without making it into pops would be easier for them to eat. Like a slushie.

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
I bet that is so good. i wonder if you took frozen watermelon and the like, pureed it without making it into pops would be easier for them to eat. Like a slushie.
ooo >> that does sound intriguing <o_O^

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
They can get very curious with any fruit of vegetable flavors they can smell but guinea pigs should not have any cooked or processed food (like popsicles) full stop. And things with sugar are perhaps worst of all - excessive sugar can give them diabetes, the huge imbalance to their blood sugar level is bad for their behaviour, mood and health, and it ruins their apetite for natural food which is important for their health and should make up 100% of their diet. So yes, it is unfortunate if any drinks or food attracts them. They just really shouldn't have any.

Fruits, on the other hand, are good, provided you don't give them too much - you'd know, if you give them too much fruit, the first thing you'll see is they get diarrhea.

Ghost_Peanut

Cavy Slave
They have Popsicles at whole foods made from 100 percent fruit - no added sugar or dyes.

SulcataGirl

Cavy Slave
I've blended hay and fresh veggies together and froze them in ice cube trays. Oogie loved them :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.