Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Abby and Betty's thread

charbob

Cavy Gazer
Hello Everyone, I just joined this site, I tried to introduce myself but it kept saying 404 not found.. Anyway, wanted to say first that I bought two igloos for my girls, well they started eating at them and I don't think plastic is good for guinea pigs anymore that it would be good for us to eat it. I removed them today and gave them boxes to use with two entrances to run in and out. The igloos can now be used outside to attract toads that my daughter and I found one day.. I found my girls two weeks ago, Abby is now 9 weeks old and Betty is 11 weeks old. I built them a home of C & C grids 2' x 5' and I can expand when needed, I even figured out how to put a door in the middle. I have not used coraplast so I used girds on the bottom and keep them covered. I started out with wood chip bedding but was really messy with the way they get excited and run all over.. So I bought materials and am making the fleece bedding, almost have one bottom cover made, on to smaller pcs. smile They are so much fun to watch and both of them do popcorns !! It makes me happy just to watch them. I have been trying to tame them, some days it goes well, next day not so much.. I now take veggies with me and they seem to like that. Any suggestions on more taming tricks I would really appreciate. Abby is doing better with being petted and held than Betty. Well, I better quit now, just wanted to come in and say hi, looking forward to talking to you all.. Soon as I figure out how to do this, older brains take little longer to get it... Have great day all... Charlotte

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to give a welcome to Abby and Betty along with their new owner. It's so nice to have all of you on the forum. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Since the way to a guinea pig's heart is through their tummies you are doing just the right thing by trying to tame them by offering them the veggies. One taming method that worked for me was to take one of my two pigs out of their cage by coaxing them into a hidey or bed and just sitting on the floor and petting them for as long as they would tolerate it. I would take them one at a time and that seemed to help make them less afraid of me. Being prey animals, they are always going to be a little afraid but if you just keep offering the tasty treats and giving them lots of attention you will be rewarded many times over.

Thank you for giving these little ladies a wonderful new home. I can't wait to see pigtures.

charbob

Cavy Gazer
I just wanted to give a welcome to Abby and Betty along with their new owner. It's so nice to have all of you on the forum. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Since the way to a guinea pig's heart is through their tummies you are doing just the right thing by trying to tame them by offering them the veggies. One taming method that worked for me was to take one of my two pigs out of their cage by coaxing them into a hidey or bed and just sitting on the floor and petting them for as long as they would tolerate it. I would take them one at a time and that seemed to help make them less afraid of me. Being prey animals, they are always going to be a little afraid but if you just keep offering the tasty treats and giving them lots of attention you will be rewarded many times over.

Thank you for giving these little ladies a wonderful new home. I can't wait to see pigtures.

thank you for replying to my message.. I am happy to have found a group that I can talk to. I will be learning how this site works every time I come in. I do have a question that I have been looking for the answer to.. I am going to start growing grass, parsley etc. inside and out in pots... My question is can I use bird seed to make grasses? I have let bird seed grow under the bird feeder and get quite a bit of interesting looking grasses.. I have window boxes outside that I will use for growing. Inside I need to purchase a grow light and I am collecting containers... I know how to send pictures on chat and e mail, is it done the same way here? Thanks for your reply in advance... Have a great weekend..

charbob

Cavy Gazer
thank you for replying to my message.. I am happy to have found a group that I can talk to. I will be learning how this site works every time I come in. I do have a question that I have been looking for the answer to.. I am going to start growing grass, parsley etc. inside and out in pots... My question is can I use bird seed to make grasses? I have let bird seed grow under the bird feeder and get quite a bit of interesting looking grasses.. I have window boxes outside that I will use for growing. Inside I need to purchase a grow light and I am collecting containers... I know how to send pictures on chat and e mail, is it done the same way here? Thanks for your reply in advance... Have a great weekend..
P.S. I am going to try your suggestion on the taming. Thanks

charbob

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your reply to my thread.? Is this what you say? I am going to check out all the links you gave me. I am hoping posting pics are the same as in a chat or email, that I know how to do... looking forward to talking to all of you soon...:eek:

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I wish I could give you an answer on using bird seed to grow grasses but I don't have any idea. Off the top of my head, I would say that it wouldn't work. I would think that you need to plant seeds from the particular plant like Parsley or Wheatgrass. I've never tried to grow anything for my guinea pigs from just seeds. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable about gardening will be able to answer your question.

I also don't really post pictures here but I do think it's the same as you would do for any other forum or email. I'm sorry that I'm not really that helpful to you on both questions.

This is off topic but I noticed that you are from Tonawanda. When I was a child my aunt and uncle used to live there. I remember going to visit them many times. I'm on the West coast now but I grew up on the East coast.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Tonawanda! Wow. 30 minutes south of me.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Most seeds in bird seed are grass seeds. I have never intentionally planted bird seed to grow grasses, but having a bird aviary near a garden bed and occasionally adding some bird droppings with the odd whole seed mixed in into the compost bin means I do have grasses start to grow in the garden beds that came from the bird seed.

The guinea pigs love the taller thicker grass that some of these seeds grow, like the millet. Some times I will leave a patch of grass in if I don't intend on growing anything else there and harvest the fresh seed heads to give back to the birds again. It is helpful to know what seeds are in the bird seed to begin with, some seeds I wouldn't let grow to mature plants if they are in your mix, like milo seeds, those look like a corn plant and are a nightmare to remove once mature.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can use bird seed to grow various plants/seedlings/grasses! Millet is a type of grass and a large component of birdseed mixes here, sunflower sprouts (and fully grown leaves, too) are apparently also fine for piggies to eat... various seed mixes contain various species of plant seed of course, but I imagine all would be safe for piggies to eat when sprouted. Birds are probably far more suseptible to toxins and poor food choices than piggies.
I've also grown coriander (cilantro) from coriander seeds from the spice section from my supermarket! I'm very big on chucking things in my garden and seeing what happens. I've also grown grass from seed before in kitty litter plastic trays -- with soil and holes poked into the bottom for drainage of course -- and then just popped the whole tray in with my pigs like a little mini-lawn buffet.

charbob

Cavy Gazer
Oh yeah, I know where Ontario is, mostly we used to go across for the Falls. One time we took a weekend with friends and went to Toronto , It was really "hairy" driving.. Needless to say we parked our cars and took taxis around.. It was a very interesting city. I don't even think of it as a Country, we just go across the bridge to visit... smile...Have a great weekend. Hope to catch up with you again...

charbob

Cavy Gazer
Most seeds in bird seed are grass seeds. I have never intentionally planted bird seed to grow grasses, but having a bird aviary near a garden bed and occasionally adding some bird droppings with the odd whole seed mixed in into the compost bin means I do have grasses start to grow in the garden beds that came from the bird seed.

The guinea pigs love the taller thicker grass that some of these seeds grow, like the millet. Some times I will leave a patch of grass in if I don't intend on growing anything else there and harvest the fresh seed heads to give back to the birds again. It is helpful to know what seeds are in the bird seed to begin with, some seeds I wouldn't let grow to mature plants if they are in your mix, like milo seeds, those look like a corn plant and are a nightmare to remove once mature.

charbob

Cavy Gazer
Hello, Thanks for the info. I am glad I can use bird seed. I will be planting mine in containers and inside. As bird see grows easily, thanks to my bird feeder to prove it, it will be an interesting mix of grasses.. I am also going to grow grass seeds. Thanks again. See you on the Forum

charbob

Cavy Gazer
Hello, Thanks for the info. My bird feeder always has interesting grasses growing around it.. I just wanted to be sure it would be ok for my girls to have. I do have large old litter boxes, thanks for reminding me. I can bring them to the deck and use them again, already have holes punched in.. My problem is keeping the squirrels out, looking for peanuts... lol Guess I will have to get some chicken wire and make a cage.. Thanks again, see you on the Forum.

charbob

Cavy Gazer
I wish I could give you an answer on using bird seed to grow grasses but I don't have any idea. Off the top of my head, I would say that it wouldn't work. I would think that you need to plant seeds from the particular plant like Parsley or Wheatgrass. I've never tried to grow anything for my guinea pigs from just seeds. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable about gardening will be able to answer your question.

I also don't really post pictures here but I do think it's the same as you would do for any other forum or email. I'm sorry that I'm not really that helpful to you on both questions.

This is off topic but I noticed that you are from Tonawanda. When I was a child my aunt and uncle used to live there. I remember going to visit them many times. I'm on the West coast now but I grew up on the East coast.

charbob

Cavy Gazer
Hello again, I did not notice until I reread the thread. Where in Tonawanda did your aunt and uncle live? I have a niece that lives in San Diego... I am in the Town of Tonawanda. Small world huh !!!!! In case you would like to know, I have replies from two others who say it is ok to use bird seed for growing grasses. I am glad to hear it as it grows easily under my bird feeder lol I am going to be growing it inside so my girls can have some fresh grass in the winter. Thanks again for replying to my question.. Catch you on the forum

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Hello again, I did not notice until I reread the thread. Where in Tonawanda did your aunt and uncle live? I have a niece that lives in San Diego... I am in the Town of Tonawanda. Small world huh !!!!! In case you would like to know, I have replies from two others who say it is ok to use bird seed for growing grasses. I am glad to hear it as it grows easily under my bird feeder lol I am going to be growing it inside so my girls can have some fresh grass in the winter. Thanks again for replying to my question.. Catch you on the forum

It's been so long ago that I really can't remember where they lived. I remember going there with my parents and visiting in the town and then it seemed like we went to the suburbs to see them. I was pretty young at the time. After I married we moved to California and we used to go to San Diego a lot. I loved going to the zoo. San Diego was such a beautiful area with the most perfect weather. At that time, we lived in Orange County. Now we are here in the PNW.
It's really nice here too and not quite as hot as California has become.

In my backyard I also have a few bird feeders and have noticed different grasses growing under them. The squirrels usually eat most of the seeds the birds drop before the seeds can sprout. It's nice to meet a fellow wild bird lover.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.