Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Worried about gap between coroplast and grids

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi,

I just build my first C & C cage for my (approx.) 3 month year old girls. It is a 2 x 3.5 deluxe, but I haven't built the top part yet. There is a significant gap between the coroplast and the grids. Is that normal or did I mess up? :confused: I used cable ties to connect to grids together in the middle, just like the instructions said (4 squares of 2 grids overlap, if you know what I mean). I looked at some pictures and in some photos, I do see a similar gap, while in others I don't which just adds to my confusion.

- Helena

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's probably not a problem. If it is, just punch some holes in the top of the coroplast and zip-tie it to the grids.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Did you order from the website? Or making it on your own?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I ordered from the website.
Thanks for this idea: "If it is, just punch some holes in the top of the coroplast and zip-tie it to the grids." :)
That could work ... Brilliant!

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I think I can use medium sized binder clips to make the gap smaller - at least temporarily. It's easier than punching holes. Yay, I found a good use for my pretty metallic clips! :) That said, I suspect that punching a hole and using cable ties is a sturdier and better long term solution ... Any suggestions on what I can use to punch a tiny hole? I don't want the hole to be too big.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I Any suggestions on what I can use to punch a tiny hole? I don't want the hole to be too big.

I have used a one-hole paper punch.......although that may be larger than you desire. I also have a tool for working with leather that can punch single holes of varying diameters.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Thanks Spy9doc! A one-hole paper punch should do the job. :)
Question: Do I have to use coroplast or would 3 or 4 pages of card-stock attached together be thick enough?
My cage came with extra coroplast but I don't have enough to go around the entire cage.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Card stock will obsorb urine and get super smelly super fast. But then I'm confused as to what you want to use the card stock for.

If you ordered it. Then there should be a 6 inch high "wall" around the entire cage. Unless of course they've changed things since I last checked out the site.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Card stock won't work at all.

If you ordered the cage from the Guinea Pig Cages store and it didn't come with enough coroplast, let them know.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Oh no! Wow. PiggieGrandma and Bpatters, you completely misunderstand. Let me try again to explain ...

As already stated above:
The bottom of the C & C cage is put together. My cage came with extra coroplast.
PBatters: We have been talking about ways to "baby proof" the cage!

I had two goals:
1) Double up the grids so my tiny girls can't squeeze through those holes
2) Fill the gap between the coroplast and the grids.
(The space between the coroplast bothers me more than the holes in the grids.)

I didn't want to merely raise the coroplast to the very top because then, in my opinion, there is too little ventilation. In addition, my girls are very curious little creatures and they like to look around. I want them to be able to look around. ***Therefore, I don't want my coroplast to be too high.***

My Plan:
1) Use the extra grids I have to double up the grids. That way, my girls can't squeeze through those small "holes" in the grids.
(I ordered a deluxe cage so I have extra grids that were intended for an upper level. Eventually, I will have a ramp and an upstairs "kitchen". However, for now, "safety first". A second floor can wait.)

2) Attach the extra coroplast that came with my cage around the bottom of the grids so that I can put towels/fleece/whatever in between the coroplast and the grid. I just want to fill in that gap that is between the grid and the coroplast and I don't want fabric to be able to go through the holes in the grids. However, I don't have enough coroplast to go all the way around. The card-stock I was referring to would be on the outside of the cage, facing away from the coroplast, attached to grids. It's just to keep the fabric from going through the grids. My girls won't get to it at all. So don't worry about peeing or smells ... YIKES!! Just a temporary solution until I can get my hands on more coroplast.

I hope this makes more sense now.

Helena

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I guess I'm confused about the gap between the coroplast and the grids. How large is it? Is it possible they sent you the wrong size coroplast for your cage?

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I'm pretty sure the coroplast is the correct size. I can put my fingers in between the grid and the coroplast. I found extra coroplast. There were some smaller pieces under the bigger pieces that I knew I had. Oops!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Why not just zip tie the grids to the coroplast, as said above? It's fine if there's a tiny space between the grids and coroplast; I'm sure every C&C cage has that. I doubt your guinea pigs will want to get in between the grids and coroplast... especially if you zip tie the 2 together in just the 4 corners of the cage and 1 in the middle on each side of the cage.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's talking about the normal gap. Totally normal and nothing to worry about. If you've got brand new babies, you should baby-proof. Other than that, it's fine. (I'm the store owner, for newbies. :) )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.