Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Funny Guinea Pigs Calls

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Hello! Do any of you have guinea pig calls? I know that for my guinea pigs whenever I say wheek Wheek!! In a shrill voice they come running out to me! It’s kind of funny I just started doing that whenever I was getting out their food, and now they know that wheek wheek means food. So they start going crazy and popcorn whenever they hear me say it! ;)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine is,
"Who wants yum yums?"

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine is,
"Who wants yum yums?"

Every pig I've ever had has freaked out to that. They gradually get used to it, and then they don't react much any more. Leo hasn't wheeked (other than in terror during a bath) since Scooter passed away. Simon still wheeks, but less than he used to.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I sing to them and talk gibberish to the boys, but they react/cry more to noises like me opening doors or opening bags. Gimbly always wheeks when I come home and walk in thru the kitchen. Chico will wake up from a sleep and come walking out of his house wheeking as if he's late to the party and is expecting food.

Amigo has NEVER wheeked except when scared.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Mine is "hey piggy-pig" or "piggy-pigs", they know I have a treat when I say that.

The other sound that always gets them going is the wheels of the hay bin on the wooden floor, or really any wheels on the wooden floor lol. Also the sound of corn husks being torn, which I guess also sounds a lot like Velcro being pulled apart as they also respond the same way to that.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I just say, “Hey Lacey” and no matter what she’s doing her head pops up and she trots over to the corner of her cage. Once in a while she has a food emergency. She’ll be just sitting there and she’ll start wheeking at the top of her lungs. As soon as I say her name, she comes running hoping for a treat.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Whenever I make kissy noises, my piggies know there is food involved and come running.

I miss the wheeking they used to make. My original piggy, Lily, used to be a big wheeker but I can't remember when she last wheeked. Unfortunately Lily has taken to chewing the cage bars instead. The other piggy, Felicia, who is the new alpha and is only 2 years old sometimes wheeks but it is a tentative sound, unlike the boisterous wheeking Lily used to do.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
What I always find so funny is how piggies seem to know time. I always feed them their dinner around 5:00 PM. I'll go into their room at 4:30 and they'll be sound asleep. A half hour later I'll walk in and they are both standing up and ready to eat. The same thing always happens at night. At 10:00 PM I always go in to tidy them up for the night and give them a final little snack. If I happen to be a little late I can hear them running around and softly wheeking a few minutes after 10:00.

They definitely have their own little internal clocks. @SSLee, I definitely know what you mean by the loud wheeking they do when they are young. As they get older that sound seems to get softer and less exuberant. I love the excitement young piggies have about anything and everything. They seem to find joy in just living.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They have amazing little internal clocks. They even adapt to the clock changes twice a year. It used to take Pooper and Sly, and also Punkin and Scooter about a week to ten days to adapt to the time change. It took Simon and Leo 48 hours. I couldn't believe it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.