Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Thinner Poops (Concerning or Paranoid?)

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Hey all, 5yr old boar Nibbler has gone through a lot this week (the death of his buddy and the introduction of a new cagemate). I have been monitoring his weight and poops practically daily. He’s weighing at just about 2.5lbs and is eating his hay, pellets, veggies and drinking as far as I can tell.

Today was day 2 of 90 degree Fahrenheit weather here in NYC and so him and his new buddy have been mostly hanging in the shade with wrapped ice packs along the outside of the cage - venturing out when they want to. I’m not seeing them drink as much as I thought they would however I am feeding them chilled veggies throughout the day to combat the heat. Today was definitely a lazy day for both of them, and so I wanted to see what advice or knowledge anybody has regarding what I noticed to be thinner than normal poop, some with a stringy end from Nibbler (I’ve never seen this). The shape is similar to how it is supposed to be but the thickness is definitely lacking. I’m also taking off the water bottle from the holder and hand delivering it to Nibbler at which he does drink from it.

I’ve attached a picture for reference next to a Poland Spring bottle cap.

I have been feeding the following hay and pellets daily, with these veggies the last 2 days:
1) Oxbow Hay Blend (Timothy/Orchard Grass)
2) Oxbow Garden Select Adult Pellets
3) Perhaps 1/3 cup of fridge chilled orange bell peppers, 2 baby carrots, and about 1/4 cup of romaine and kale.

Is this a heat related issue? Drinking less? Or am I just being paranoid?
Our other younger piggy’s poop seems to be more on the full side by the way.

Thanks! ✌️

(Edit: photo is not uploading for some reason)

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Posting photo as a reply here.

Attachments

0BC0AECD-70E0-4655-9909-FEC4D486D079.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They look perfectly fine to me. I don't see anything there worth worrying about.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The pointy end of the top one could be from some sort of gut issues. The size is fine but be wary of the point. Some probiotics can help.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
The pointy end of the top one could be from some sort of gut issues. The size is fine but be wary of the point. Some probiotics can help.

I’m definitely going to check how it is tomorrow, and the tip is what’s also concerning me as well. I have never given a guinea pig probiotics before however when he was sick with a URI last year, I did purchase something called Benebac(?) in a powder form as a precaution but I have never used it. Is it pretty safe for guinea pigs to take, like practically no negative side affects at all? The last thing I would want to do is give him a probiotic and then see him go downhill right after.

My initial thought is the heat in the room has him eating and drinking a little less than usual because they’re not running around as much. I just put in an air conditioner in the next room which should be able to cool off the room they’re in as well a bit. Tomorrow and the rest of the week is supposed to be 80 and under so it should be better for them anyways.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I give my boys the Benebac in a tube. Our vet has given us powder probiotic to sprinkle on food also, but the gel Benebac is easier for us. It depends if they willingly eat the Benebac. Two boys love it, and the others sniff it and run.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Is this something I should buy?

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Bene-Bac-Plus-Probiotic-Syringes/dp/B06XK2699C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=benebac&qid=1623180359&sr=8-3

Nibbler had been good all day, and things have been good days prior. There was one moment not too long ago where iit looked like Nibbler was just standing on all fours spacing out for about a minute or so and not really responsive to the sound (of treats) and his usual business, I hadn’t seen that before. He was pretty quiet and mostly burrowing and sleeping in hay stacks in his cage for the last couple of hours. He allowed me to check his bum when he was laying down which I was shocked he didn’t kick me off or squeal. He had a small poop. Regular color and shape, but smaller in length. Do you think this is something where I should buy the probiotic as back up? Do you think a vet visit is a good idea, or too soon to tell?

I swear, after the passing of Yancy, I’ve been on eggshells with all things guinea pig. 😔

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. That benebac you linked to is precisely the same stuff I used for Punkin and Scooter when they were ill. Fantastic stuff. It only lasts 6 weeks, if you give him 1 dose per day. But it really helps.

You can also use the powdered one and mix it accordingly, but this is easier. Just make sure if you buy the gel or powder, that you buy the right one. There is another for birds and whatnot.

Nibbler's behaviour also would be an indication that something might be wrong. Burrowing and hiding, and lethargy are indications that he isn't feeling well.

I would monitor him and if he continues to act like this, a vet visit might be in order.

PetFamilyBK

Cavy Slave
Yes. That benebac you linked to is precisely the same stuff I used for Punkin and Scooter when they were ill. Fantastic stuff. It only lasts 6 weeks, if you give him 1 dose per day. But it really helps.

You can also use the powdered one and mix it accordingly, but this is easier. Just make sure if you buy the gel or powder, that you buy the right one. There is another for birds and whatnot.

Nibbler's behaviour also would be an indication that something might be wrong. Burrowing and hiding, and lethargy are indications that he isn't feeling well.

I would monitor him and if he continues to act like this, a vet visit might be in order.

Thanks, I may just order the stuff from from the link then. Seems like the best choice especially if it can arrive tomorrow. The burrowing under the hay at first (I mean the last couple of days) seemed like it was fun for him. He’s move the pile, nudge around, and eat his way out. Lol. Today’s burrowing seemed a little different. Have your piggies experienced any side effects from the Probiotics?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No side effects whatsoever. It's perfectly safe. The first kind of burrowing is normal for pigs. It isn't even abnormal for my little goofballs to take a nap under it, Punkin used to and Simon does now, occasionally. But if he's hiding in it and staying there, that's different.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.