Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Getting ready to order cage

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
I'm getting ready to order a cage and stand from the guinea pig cages store. I was planning on building one myself, but would much rather just order one and assemble it 😊 I'm planning on buying an x-large, which is 2x5 grids, along with a stand. I'm not buying the cubby bins right now. Just making sure this is right. From what I know, this would be a good size for 2 females, but would be the minimum for 2 males.

Also, does anyone house fixed males and females together? I've heard of people housing a bonded male/female pair (one or both of which were fixed). I don't necessarily plan to do this, but thought it was interesting.

ETA: I'm talking about the STANDARD large cage, unless anybody thinks piggies would be significantly happier with a loft.

Last edited:

Soecara

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 is okay for two sows, but a 2x5 is better. A 2x5 is an okay size for a boar pair, but some boars do better in wider cages like a 3x4. Lofts can sometimes cause hassles if they aren't large enough (ie. 1x2), or if the pigs don't get along well. Some people also find it difficult to clean underneath lofts.

@spy9doc used to have a neutered boar and unaltered sow pair called Chester and Maya but they both recently passed away. You can read about Chester and Maya's introduction here (broken link removed)

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
@Soecara thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I've also noticed that seemingly everyone uses fleece now. Is this because there's something wrong with using bedding such as care fresh, or is it just personal preference?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Mostly personal preference, and the fact that fleece is reusable. Some people also like the appearance of fleece or find it less messy.

Many people do still use bedding, most often because they find fleece a hassle as you need to scoop the poop off of it at least once a day and hay sticks to it, or they are not allowed to/do not like the idea of washing it in their washing machine. Some people also find fleece to be smelly, though that greatly depends on the absorbent layer you use under the fleece, wood pellets are becoming a popular low smell low maintenance absorbent layer to have under fleece.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I have 2 females in a 2 x 4.5 and I would say it's just barely big enough. My girls aren't exactly best friends though, not what I would call a bonded pair. I think the loft is not necessary. You could always add one later, if you decide you'd like to try one.

I also have a neutered male who is living separately (my cage is divided so they can interact through a grid wall). My first attempt to introduce Randy to the girls a few months back failed, but I'm planning to give it a try again soon. Randy was only 5 months old and small, so my girl Snickers just beat on him. Now Randy is bigger, so hopefully he can hold his own!

I currently use fleece bedding with UHaul underneath. I chose this because it's neat and easy to clean (I sweep poops twice a day and wash the fleece twice a week),it's a lot cheaper than disposable bedding, and it looks cute (when it's not covered in poop, that is). Before that, I used fleece with wood pellets underneath. The wood pellets did a better job controlling odor. However I found them messy and generally made a big mess of the pig room whenever I changed the fleece.

Best of luck!

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
We have 2 sows in a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft. Our girls seem to love the loft - they are always up there napping in the hidey / eating - but that might be because veggies are only given upstairs. Now that I have the quick-detach connectors for the loft. Cleaning it is a breeze. I am able to remove / replace it all on my own. Bonus, it gives me somewhere to put them while I'm cleaning to other. ;)

I think that the fleece / bedding choice is just that, a personal choice. I'd rather have an extra load (worst case scenario 2) of laundry a week than the expense of constantly buying the bedding. I even started using towels / fleece in the kitchen and change it out daily because a big bag of carefresh only lasted 3 weeks of only using it in the kitchen / coral. I don't wash daily, I just let it sit in the laundry room until it is full change out day (once a week). So far, no smell, but that's only been about a week and a half of doing.

One last note on the storage containers. I wish I had ordered them. Money is tight now, and I can't order them now, but could have when I did the whole cage / stand. The size is virtually impossible to find elsewhere. :( The containers I have now are smaller and keep getting pushed WAY back and underneath and hard to get to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.