Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Sudden death??

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness I haven't even processed this yet. Once I do I'm going to be so devastated. I just went to give my piggies a carrot and only one came running like normal. I saw Spaz's bottom facing me in his little hut that opens on both ends. His face was away from me. I nudged his hut and he didn't move. I did it again and no movement. I knew something was wrong. I grabbed Brownie and told my husband to check. He confirmed my worst fear. Spaz is gone.

I don't know what happened!! He was fine. I interact with my piggies numerous times a day and would've noticed signs. He was eating like the little veggie loving piggie he was! I gave them both a strawberry this afternoon and left for several hours. I just don't know what it could be. We have small dogs but my C&C is built with two layers of cubbies under it so it's high off the ground.

I immediately set up a temporary new cage for Brownie (we have a Midwest Habitat I use when I clean the big one). What else do I need to do to protect him? Am I a horrible piggie Mon to have no idea like this? I feel so terrible.

Katie Vetter

Cavy Slave
Do you know how old Spaz was? Sometimes, they just pass away for no reason, like my boy whopper did just last week. You aren't a bad piggie mom, and this was most likely from something that you couldn't have helped him with, like a genetic condition. However, it is a good precaution to keep Brownie seperate until you have fully cleaned the cage. Don't feel bad, it sounds like he had a great life, and passed away pain free in the comfort of his hut, knowing that he was loved. That's the best way to go, right? Rest in peace, little Spaz.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Spaz was only about 1 year and a few months. Yes, he seemed peaceful and I'm trying to focus on that but I feel so terrible for Brownie. He must be so confused! Should I take Brownie to the vet to make sure he's ok?

pinky

Cavy Slave
@blessedmom, I'm so sorry for your loss.....I'd just keep a close eye on Brownie to see if you notice any change in behavior. If you do, then I'd have him checked. My guess is he probably had some sort of heart defect or abnormality that you'd have never known. I lost a young one like that one time; no symptoms, etc. I also had a mother and daughter pair that were close in age that died within weeks of each other like that which led me to believe there was something genetic going on since none of my others were affected.

Brownie is probably going to mourn his friend so make sure you give him a lot of attention and then you might consider finding him a buddy when you're ready.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
@pinky, thanks so much for the kind words. I feel so sad right now. I'm definitely holding Brownie a lot. He seems fine so far and I know it's best to have a friend for him but I've gotta make sure I can handle another one. I don't want to go through this again. I feel so scared to check the cage now. I start calling for Brownie so he comes out of his hut before I get too close. I'm sure I will be ok and be able to do what's best for Brownie but part of me doesn't want another now.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost him. Like @pinky, I agree that it was probably something heart-related that gave you no warning.

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
So sorry for your loss, been there, know it ...
Keep thinking of good memories and play with Brownie as much as you can. You will see, it will help you both.
Yet, a single piggie without a buddy is not the same piggie ....
Take care....

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
@blessedmom, Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for your loss. Just by reading your post, I can definitely feel your pain. The love you have for your babies definitely transcends words. You are not a bad pig mama. These things happen. Prayers for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.