Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wanting all the experience with hamsters!

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
They can I've just found that they really don't use them for anything other then a bed or a pooping spot. Give them enough space to climb and a place to run around for floor time and they are happy. They really are like teeny dogs.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Very nice :D are there any cons to owning a rat? Other than that I that they live about 1-2 years?
PS o_O are you using tapatalk.. Fast replies c;

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
If well taken care of they can live even longer, my oldest to date was 4 and a half before I lost her to cancer. They are very prone to cancer and uri's but compared o most other small animals they really do win in terms of personality and ease of care. Like any pet though please do your research first the rat shack is a great forum for info.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Yes I am actually lol. If you can't tell my passion really lies with these weird little misrepresented critters.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414799163.695923.jpgthis is one of the rescue girls her name is Leeloo and she is rather pleased with the cracker she stole from my wife.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Oops that is indeed a potato chip another one of her most favorite foods ever. Also stolen.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Cute! And cool tattoos :D she looks like " I can explain."

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
What do you house Leeloo in?

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
She is in a double critter nation along with eight other girls.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
o.o;, eight girls? Has there ever been a dominance issue? I read somewhere that males get along, but generally only at young ages. Females usually get along,m

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Lmao I just suggested rats to my mother and read off alot of comments you guys said. She said " I don'ttttt know...." ;)

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I haven't had any dominance issues with my boys or girls but they are all related. The boys are a lot more laid back than the girls. I do have some verbal arguments when a girl or two goes into heat but that's about it. The boys wrestle but it's never about dominance, only fun. I really prefer males as they are bigger and calmer and tend to just be doofier in my opinion. The girls are always busy always doing
Something the boys prefer a good snooze and a snack to anything else.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
At one point I had 4 boys living together and they got along great. I had 6 rats total and only 2 were related. They were actually really easy to introduce and got along great from the start. You might have issues with some rats but they usually get along.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
And don't forget there is nothing more adorable than a pile of sleepy rats!

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Especially when they all try to cram into one hammock.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
And don't forget there is nothing more adorable than a pile of sleepy rats!

Agreed! Ratties are absolutely precious. Here are some pictures of ratties being so stinkin adorable!

rats sleeping.jpgrat sleeping 2.jpgrat sleeping 3.jpgratty 1.jpghammock.jpg

Maybe they will help sway your mom/parents towards rats? They are absolutely amazing, and adorable. Cleaner than piggies :)

If there's a rattie rescue near you, I'd see if your mom would be okay with making an appointment just so she can meet rats in person. I'm sure if you tell the rescue your mom has a negative stigma with them, they'd be happy to let you drop in to visit :)

One con (depending on the person) is that rats really do best with several hours of out of the cage/play time. While piggies (at least the ones I've had) are like, HOME!! HOME!!! I missed you so much! and try to jump out of your hands to go in their cage, rats are more like ..play time is over already? After a couple hours of play time, when I'd go to put my 5 girly birds away, they would climb to the front and want to come out again.

Rats are far more like dogs than they are rodents.

Last edited:

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Hahahahah. She said we'd talk. (That's big coming from her <3 ) I think the pictures did it!

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
YAY!!! I'm very happy for you! Rats truly are the greatest. :) Be sure to keep us updated! :D

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Also a hint look for dumbo eared rats at your rescues. They have much bigger wide set ears than standard eared rats and they tend to win over most people who do not like them due to looking more cartoonish. My three double Rex (mostly hairless) girls all look like they are going to fly away with those big flappy ears.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I will. I seriously want that critter nation. I'm dying to get it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.