Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Age?

Guineapigluvz

Cavy Slave
So there is this guinea pig in the shelter that i do want but right now dont have the money. and i plan to get her. but she is 5 years old. she seems awesome and nice. but i just dont get it. while all the others guinea pigs are being adopted she is not.. i dont think its FAIR cause she might be 5 but she loves to run around cuddle and act like a 1 year old. does age really matter?

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The only reason age matters is because some people want their pets to live a long time. The average age of guinea pigs is about 6-8 years. But there's never any guarantee that something won't happen to a young pig, and an older pig is more apt to be calmer and cuddlier. If you like her, I say go for it. If you're like most of the rest of us, you'll fall in love with her and wind up with more than one pig anyway, so you can get a younger one as a friend for her.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I love older pigs. In fact, many of my other animals are seniors, too. If I adopt an older animal who passes away, it makes me happy that I've given the animal a loving home for the end of it's life.

I have plenty of old pigs in the rescue. Many people won't adopt a pig past 4 years old. They live out their lives here in comfort, but it would be nice for them to have their own homes.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We just had to have an older cat that adopted us put to sleep. She wandered into our driveway about a year ago, just skin and bones, and was diagnosed with very far advanced kidney disease. They estimated her age at 8-10 years, but because of her health, she obviously wasn't going to live very long. We kept her just to give her a decent place to live out the rest of her life, and the whole family ended up absolutely falling in love with her. I hated to have to put her down worse than any animal I've ever had euthanized. All the others had been mine all their lives and I knew they'd had good care, but this poor kitty was declawed and had been obviously thrown out because she was sick. I thought she deserved a better life, and was just sorry she didn't live long enough for us to give it to her. We're still grieving over losing her.

So I'd say definitely consider a senior animal. You could get a baby (or two) to go with her. That way she'd have companions for the rest of her life, but you'd still have two when she passes.

violettedream

Cavy Slave
The little guy I'm adopting is 5. I am going to get him comfy and then get a younger one to live with him (if all goes well) I've always been one to realize that the older pets (of any kind) need a comfy life too. I'd say go for it!

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I'd love to adopt an old pig, or any animal by that matter. For most people age would matter because they want their pet to live longer, and there's the belief that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. An old shelter pet might have problems and behaviors that new owners wouldn't understand. Honestly, one of the major reasons why I would adopt an old pet is because I know that not many people would want one, and old piggy had already gone through enough, and I'd want to be the person who would give him the break he needs and provide him a forever home. :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have two sponsored seniors that live with me. Curly Fry recently turned 9. The owner who rehomed her and her neutered mate (he passed in 2008) said she was 5 and he was 7 when I took them in more than 4 years ago. The other senior I have is an unaltered male that now lives with my neutered male. Both of my seniors are laid back and very easy going. I definitely prefer a senior to a baby any day.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I have two sponsored seniors that live with me. Curly Fry recently turned 9. The owner who rehomed her and her neutered mate (he passed in 2008) said she was 5 and he was 7 when I took them in more than 4 years ago. The other senior I have is an unaltered male that now lives with my neutered male. Both of my seniors are laid back and very easy going. I definitely prefer a senior to a baby any day.

Pinky- what do you mean by "sponsored" seniors ?

I am not sure if I want more piggies yet or not...but recently have been considering it, not for right now, but possibly come late Spring or Summer. I have been thinking about the pros and cons of adopting/rescuing younger vs. older pigs.

Isn't it true though, that if one adopts/rescues a senior piggie that they are also more than likely to require more Vet bills, from various senior ailments ? I myself, have a soft spot for the older less wanted piggies, but wonder if the cons out-weigh the pros ?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Pinky- what do you mean by "sponsored" seniors ?

I am not sure if I want more piggies yet or not...but recently have been considering it, not for right now, but possibly come late Spring or Summer. I have been thinking about the pros and cons of adopting/rescuing younger vs. older pigs.

Isn't it true though, that if one adopts/rescues a senior piggie that they are also more than likely to require more Vet bills, from various senior ailments ? I myself, have a soft spot for the older less wanted piggies, but wonder if the cons out-weigh the pros ?

My rescue usually does not adopt out the seniors and places them with experienced guinea pig owners to live out their lives since they will probably have a shorter life span. My 9 year old has only been seen by vet one time and that was due to a cyst I found under her fur while I was grooming her. It was close to the surface so the vet was able to just squeeze it out and it quickly healed. She's been the healthiest guinea pig I've ever had. My other senior had a large stomach tumor removed when he came into the rescue so he had two strikes against him. He hasn"t had a recurrence of the tumor so he's been lucky with that. He has also been very healthy and resilient. Guinea pigs have to die from something. I've had younger ones die from different ailments including an apparent heart attack and the one with osteodystrophy but the majority have died from old age and just seemed to fall asleep or have had strokes. There's never any guarantee that a young one will live to an old age so I don't consider that they might die sooner when I adopt a senior.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
My rescue usually does not adopt out the seniors and places them with experienced guinea pig owners to live out their lives since they will probably have a shorter life span.

Still not completely sure, what you mean by "sponsored" though. By sponsorship, do you mean the rescue pays for their care while you take care of them ? (do they reimburse you for hay, veggies, vet bills, ect.) Which definition below, best resembles what you mean by "sponsorship"....is it #2 ? I am honestly interested to know, for my own understanding. :eek:

spon·sor

   [spon-ser]
noun 1. a person who vouches or is responsible for a person or thing.

2. a person, firm, organization, etc., that finances and buys the time to broadcast a radio or television program so as to advertise a product, a political party, etc.

3. a person who makes a pledge or promise on behalf of another.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I have never known how old Willy is and we've been together almost three years. Sometimes I think he's young and other times he seems to show his age more. It doesn't matter to me, he is a lovely well-mannered little mister that I'll cherish forever.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Still not completely sure, what you mean by "sponsored" though. By sponsorship, do you mean the rescue pays for their care while you take care of them ? (do they reimburse you for hay, veggies, vet bills, ect.) Which definition below, best resembles what you mean by "sponsorship"....is it #2 ? I am honestly interested to know, for my own understanding. :eek:

spon·sor

   [spon-ser]
noun 1. a person who vouches or is responsible for a person or thing.

2. a person, firm, organization, etc., that finances and buys the time to broadcast a radio or television program so as to advertise a product, a political party, etc.

3. a person who makes a pledge or promise on behalf of another.

I pay for all of the expenses of all of my guinea pigs, including my sponsored seniors. I didn't pay an adoption fee for them, though. If the male's tumor came back, the rescue would send him to their vet for treatment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.