Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction why isn't Charlie pooping?

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
hey everyone I have a five-year-old piggy, everyone's in a while he gets an impaction and I have to use mineral oil to help get it out but it always works out fine and he returns to normal. however right now he's not pooping and I just checked his butt and it doesn't look like there's an impaction, so what am I supposed to do? Is it safe to use one drop of mineral oil per 20oz of water seeing as it is a natural lubricant laxative? just to note he is eating and drinking as normal.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, don't use the mineral oil. Guinea pigs almost never get "constipated." The anal sac can get full, but if they're not pooping and they're not impacted, a laxative isn't likely to help.

My guess is that if he's eating and drinking normally, he's eating all his poops, not just his cecal ones. Pigs sometimes do that. And if they're truly not pooping, they're also not likely to be eating.

The other possibility is that he's in the early stages of bloat, which is a much more dangerous situation.

What I'd do is get some infant simethicone and give him 1/4 of the infant dose. If he's got a gas buildup, that will help him pass it. But I'd also watch him like a hawk. If you see him eating the poop, that'll be a good thing. If he's truly not pooping, then he needs to see an exotic vet ASAP for a gut stimulant that will keep things moving through his system.

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
No, don't use the mineral oil. Guinea pigs almost never get "constipated." The anal sac can get full, but if they're not pooping and they're not impacted, a laxative isn't likely to help.

My guess is that if he's eating and drinking normally, he's eating all his poops, not just his cecal ones. Pigs sometimes do that. And if they're truly not pooping, they're also not likely to be eating.

The other possibility is that he's in the early stages of bloat, which is a much more dangerous situation.

What I'd do is get some infant simethicone and give him 1/4 of the infant dose. If he's got a gas buildup, that will help him pass it. But I'd also watch him like a hawk. If you see him eating the poop, that'll be a good thing. If he's truly not pooping, then he needs to see an exotic vet ASAP for a gut stimulant that will keep things moving through his system.

thank you, i'll get some of that for future. He just laid two pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.