Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare I don't' get it.....

pinky

Cavy Slave
Here we go again. Getting rid of guinea pigs to make way for the new family pets AND trying to drum up more interest by saying they'd make good gifts for the holidays. Ugh.........
(broken link removed)

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
sigh at least these ones appear to be well taken care of...but yes, still a shame. I've never understood the whole "pet upgrade" thing. You get a pet, you keep the pet, and you only get another one when that pet dies, or you're sure that you can handle another.

pinky

Cavy Slave
sigh at least these ones appear to be well taken care of...but yes, still a shame. I've never understood the whole "pet upgrade" thing. You get a pet, you keep the pet, and you only get another one when that pet dies, or you're sure that you can handle another.

They're only 6 months old. They haven't even had them very long.

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
That's actually right in my area... but I couldn't take two, I could only take one with my size cage.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
They're only 6 months old. They haven't even had them very long.
I know... It's sad too that these owners won't even get to watch them grow up and see what great pets they can be.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
@VellaBella Actually, it says that if you adopt them, you also get a cage, some hay bedding and food.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Well I email her and stated pets were for life, if she had more kids was she giving up one of the older ones? And what a wonderful example she was setting for her children.

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
They're so cute! I wish I could take them in, poor little guys. :( I hope they find an awesome forever home!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Actually it's pretty clearly stated they took them in as a favor to someone else and meant to rehome them pretty quickly. Given that, I think the level of care and obvious investment they've made is admirable.

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
The issue is that I have one pig already and I'd want to pu ty them together bit I can't expand the cage in the way that matters. But I've been told I shouldn't even put two pigs in the 2x4 I just got.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
@VellaBella A 2x4 is the right size for two sows. It can also work for two boars who get along well (the two in the advertisement are being rehomed with a 2x4 with what looks like a 1x2 loft that is being used as storage instead of a loft), but if the boars don't get along so well then it can be too small. Boars typically get along better in larger spaces, some people have found even having a wider cage (ie. 3x3, 3x4 or 3x5 depending on the number of boars and how well they get along) can work out much better for boars.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Actually it's pretty clearly stated they took them in as a favor to someone else and meant to rehome them pretty quickly. Given that, I think the level of care and obvious investment they've made is admirable.

They revised their listing. It originally said they recently added new pets to their household and something had to go. They must have gotten a lot of negative responses.

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
@VellaBella A 2x4 is the right size for two sows. It can also work for two boars who get along well (the two in the advertisement are being rehomed with a 2x4 with what looks like a 1x2 loft that is being used as storage instead of a loft), but if the boars don't get along so well then it can be too small. Boars typically get along better in larger spaces, some people have found even having a wider cage (ie. 3x3, 3x4 or 3x5 depending on the number of boars and how well they get along) can work out much better for boars.
Yeah, I physically do not have the space for another cage or a bigger one. I wish I could take them, I really do.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
They revised their listing. It originally said they recently added new pets to their household and something had to go. They must have gotten a lot of negative responses.
At least one of which as a result of reposting it here.

There is such a thing as responsible rehoming, whether any of us likes the reasons or not. Supposing they are rehoming just because they got another pet, consider the scenario where they keep them but don't really want them and the pigs end up being ignored and neglected. I'd say finding them a home before allowing that to happen falls into the category of responsible rehoming.

It's important to remember that we don't know all the circumstances that lead people to make decisions to rehome their pets and can't get an accurate gauge from a single ad.

Sure, a lot of decisions to rehome pets are made without regard to the pets in question, but that just doesn't seem to be the case from what little is posted here, at least to my eyes. Regardless, no one deserves to have their ad trolled and reposted because you don't like the content. They obviously aren't breeding. Responsibly finding a home for pets they no longer want is something more people should do rather than dump them in shelters. Expecting people to justify and explain their situation and choices when they post an animal is counterproductive to finding these animals a good home.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I find this incredibly sad and a very poor example for her kids. I don't think parents always realize that their kids learn from watching what their parents do. Who knows... somewhere down the line when mom becomes an inconvenience, the kids might decide the easiest way to rehome mom is to put her in a nursing home.

Mortiaryfaerie

Cavy Slave
I never understand how people can just get rid of pets. Maybe I'm weird and overly attached. But I Skype with my dog and rabbit since I had to leave them behind with my parents when I moved, and I did the same with my piggies when I had to leave then for a few months.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't get rid of chock. I've become to attached to him and besides he's only ever known me as his main provider of everything he needs includeing a nice clean environment to live in as well as food, hay, veg and fresh water and atention.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
At least one of which as a result of reposting it here.

There is such a thing as responsible rehoming, whether any of us likes the reasons or not. Supposing they are rehoming just because they got another pet, consider the scenario where they keep them but don't really want them and the pigs end up being ignored and neglected. I'd say finding them a home before allowing that to happen falls into the category of responsible rehoming.

It's important to remember that we don't know all the circumstances that lead people to make decisions to rehome their pets and can't get an accurate gauge from a single ad.

Sure, a lot of decisions to rehome pets are made without regard to the pets in question, but that just doesn't seem to be the case from what little is posted here, at least to my eyes. Regardless, no one deserves to have their ad trolled and reposted because you don't like the content. They obviously aren't breeding. Responsibly finding a home for pets they no longer want is something more people should do rather than dump them in shelters. Expecting people to justify and explain their situation and choices when they post an animal is counterproductive to finding these animals a good home.

I agree with this. Sometimes them posting the animals on kijiji or Craigslist is better for the animal then just keeping it. I got my skinny Pig off kijiji. A grandpa had bought his granddaughter the skinny pig and her mom ended up putting him on kijiji because the daughter didn't take care of him. I got him, cleaned his filthy pet store cage. Spent the money and built him a c&c cage, along with many fleece liners and accessories. And joined this forum learning as much as I could on how to take care of him properly. Seems a lot better than him sitting in this woman's house in a dirty pet store cage, not getting any vegetables. These ppl at least seem to be taking care of the pigs properly, meaning when they find a new home for them they'll make sure those ppl take care of them properly.

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
My view on this is why are Guinea pigs considered toys to little children, no they are not a great starter pet. They are hard work, not a toy that once you get bored with you throw away.
Why aren't pet stores giving correct advice, people buy them by impulse, put them in a little cage and forget about them half the time.
It's disgusting

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't get children pigs because they take so much time to look after
Their very hands on and your right, they are hard work but worth it i think...
I would be lost with out my little chockster...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.