Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Feeding procedure ?

Barzano724

Cavy Gazer
I'm new don't get mad at me if this is a dumb question but if I wanna make a good food plan (if possible) for my Guinea pigs and only feed them fresh food does that mean no more pellets just fresh food ? I also feed them hay unlimited amounts in their hay rack. Only asking because my pigs like lettuce and fresh veggies

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
it's really hard to make sure that your pigs are getting all the nutrients they need from just fresh food, so there's very few people who do it. most people do 1/8c of pellets per pig (KMS or Oxbow are recommended) and 1 cup of veggies per pig (guinea lynx has a list of what is okay to feed and how much/how often). This is what's recommended because the pellets have a lot of important nutrients and vitamins.

Barzano724

Cavy Gazer
So what if I do half pellets and the rest a mixture of veggies daily ? If they don't eat pellets then just leave it in their food bowl

mjalred

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs should have unlimited hay, an 1/8 cup of pellets per pig per day, and 1 cup of veggies per pig per day. It is completely optional, but I like to spread my pigs' veggies out throughout the day. Also, try to keep a schedule when you feed your pigs. For example, I give my pigs 1/2 cup of veggies at 6:30, and also their pellets, and then at night give them the other 1/2 cup of veggies. Good luck:)

Barzano724

Cavy Gazer
Guinea pigs should have unlimited hay, an 1/8 cup of pellets per pig per day, and 1 cup of veggies per pig per day. It is completely optional, but I like to spread my pigs' veggies out throughout the day. Also, try to keep a schedule when you feed your pigs. For example, I give my pigs 1/2 cup of veggies at 6:30, and also their pellets, and then at night give them the other 1/2 cup of veggies. Good luck:)
Thanks I was thinking of doing that I just didnt wanna do it and it be wrong !

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Our pair gets breakfast (a salad), lunch (pellets), and dinner (other half of veggies in a salad)

jessdb

Cavy Slave
Sorry to bring back this post, but i need to start my piggies on a definitive feeding schedule too, and im not regular with the veggies because i dont really have a schedule with how much of what to give them, so how often of what veggies do you commonly feed your piggies? Ive been feeding them too many pellets and too little veggies and there is calcium deposits everywhere haha so what do you do with veggies?

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Sorry to bring back this post, but i need to start my piggies on a definitive feeding schedule too, and im not regular with the veggies because i dont really have a schedule with how much of what to give them, so how often of what veggies do you commonly feed your piggies? Ive been feeding them too many pellets and too little veggies and there is calcium deposits everywhere haha so what do you do with veggies?

I give mine (per pig) a leaf of red/green lettuce and a baby carrot for breakfast, then another lettuce leaf and 1/4 bell pepper (usually green but sometimes other colors) for dinner. I alternate between tomato and cucumber for their bedtime snack. They also get a small piece of fruit on cage cleaning day and an extra carrot after their nail trim.

One of my pigs had problems with white calcium spots, but with this veggie diet and switching to KMS pellets, my cage is spot free.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.