Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels 3x3 Upper level for cage on a stand?

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Posting this thread for a friend, @Beth Pearson

She is making a 3x7 cage for her herd of 7 females. Wants to make a 2x2 OR 3x3 upper level but isn't sure how to how to go about it the easiest way. The cage will be on an one grid stand and there has to be a lid on both top level and bottom due to cats.

Is there a way to make is easier for her to clean during the day and weekly cleanings?
I know an off set loft would be best but I am not sure how many grids she could go out for the loft.

Thanks all- sorry if this confuses some of you ;) lol

boofp

Cavy Slave
961601_10200426009671162_391416644_n.jpg
how about something like this then she could just pull out the bottom cage to clean. or put them side by side and have a loft running between the two with ramp tunnel.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
That looks awesome; is this your cage?!
I asked her if she would consider putting the bottom cage on the floor instead of a stand but that won't happen. lol

boofp

Cavy Slave
That looks awesome; is this your cage?!
I asked her if she would consider putting the bottom cage on the floor instead of a stand but that won't happen. lol

No found it in photo gallery

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
961601_10200426009671162_391416644_n.jpg
how about something like this then she could just pull out the bottom cage to clean. or put them side by side and have a loft running between the two with ramp tunnel.

Wow, what an awesome look you've got there!

millsma

Cavy Slave
I really love the trend with cages now being 3 grids wide! Been the best thing for my boys!

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
Whoever the cage belongs to has some very lucky piggies. What a nice-looking cage!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I really love the trend with cages now being 3 grids wide! Been the best thing for my boys!

I also think they are great. BUT, they are a big commitment of space and more importantly cleaning and maintenance. I'd be curious to hear from people who've had that large of a setup for more than a couple of years and what their process is and how much time and effort it takes.

I'm also curious to know how many people think it looks great, build it out, and then remodel after a while to go back to something more manageable.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
I have a wide cage, not a C&C, but a homemade one. I love it, and have had wide cages for 4 years now because my space lets me. First my cage was 1 1/2 feet wide, and I upgraded to 3 feet wide and 3 feet long, and my newest for 3 pigs is 4 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet long because that is what the space I had let me do. You can only access it at the front, so the length ends up width. I love it dont want to go back.

millsma

Cavy Slave
@CavySpirit I have had a 3x6 for a couple months now, and I LOVE it. The side walls on the coroplast have to be a little shorter than they normally would be, but that doesn't have much effect.

Cleaning wise, I actually find it to be much more manageable to clean than having a 2 grid wide cage. Changes happen faster (it's easier to get fleece to lay nicely with the wider space. sort of like making a bed is easier with a queen size compared to a twin size bed!), and messes are less concentrated.

When I pick my boys up, I usually just step inside the cage rather than trying to reach across. I use zip ties on the front half of the cage, so that I can open up the whole front side for easy access to floor time. That also makes cleaning easier.

Although I haven't had my cage for years, as you wondered about- I do have to say that I'm moving to an off-campus apartment this year. I have NO doubts in deciding to make a second 3x6 cage so I can have one for home and one for school. I feel like that says a lot as far as having the opportunity to change, but having no desire to do so.

The only downside is the space, but as a person who makes cage size top priority, I designed my whole apartment around having room for the boys. I took the doors off my closet to make room for the cage (thankfully, the bedroom has two closets!). I also decided on a lofted bed for added space, and also so that my bedroom can be permanently floor-time ready.

1-1.png
1.png

My bedroom at home is not nearly so spacious, but the larger cage is still a godsend for me and my pigs' lives. I won't be changing anytime soon- unless we are making a 3x7. ;) I don't have much to say as far as adding a wide loft, except that I did recently get a Cavy Bistro off the store. I'm planning to build a little nook coming off the cage for the kitchen. I don't know that a cage 3 grids wide would be very sturdy for a wide loft.

Attachments

photo.jpg
Last edited:

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
@millsma if you overlap a grid over where the 4 corners of your cage are (or just 2 sides if you have a 1x3) and zip tie together, astounding hownmuch support you can get! (I would do everywhere you have a 4corner join) i actually can pick my boys' 2x3 up by putting the 2 up against my stomach/thighs and reaching as far as I can forward so the cage stays pretty horizontal...(i had it on top of my girls' cage until someone informed me of the rapacious and determined nature of boys climbing over even 2 grids high to fall into a girls cage. I would move their cage off the girls' to clean both. Now it's permanently off until i find homes for my girls. Then will be making a 1x2(or 3) catty-corner loft with a black water tubing ramp.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
lights1.jpglights2.jpglights3.jpg
I also think they are great. BUT, they are a big commitment of space and more importantly cleaning and maintenance. I'd be curious to hear from people who've had that large of a setup for more than a couple of years and what their process is and how much time and effort it takes.

I'm also curious to know how many people think it looks great, build it out, and then remodel after a while to go back to something more manageable.
While I have only had my cages for 6 months now, I love having my boys in wide, open cages. They tend to bicker a lot when a narrow space so wider is much better. I currently have 3- 4x4's and 2 of those house 2 boys and 3 boys in the other and I LOVE it! Since it is larger it doesn't get as messy and as fast as a smaller cage would. I also enjoy sitting inside the cage with them. :)

I have 2 grid wide cages as well and all of those are on a stand. I have to clean those more often, especially with my messy boys who go anywhere and everywhere.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
I'd be curious to hear from people who've had that large of a setup for more than a couple of years and what their process is and how much time and effort it takes.

My boys have been in a 3x6 for about a month, but they were in a 3x5 for almost a year before I upgraded. I don't really notice a lot of difference in cleaning the 3 grid wide cages vs the 2 wide. I have there cage supported by a table and grids (with bunny underneath in a 3x6) so it is sturdy enough that I can lean in. I sweep out poop everyday and change the fleece about every 5-6 days. To help make cleanup easier, I put fleece squares under the hidies. I probably spend 20 minutes a day spot cleaning the piggy and bunny cages, but the bun is litter box trained so his cage doesn't take very long. As far as space is concerned, thet were recently moved out of my room when I adopted the bunny, Now they are in the room we used as an office but no longer needed. It worked for everyone, I have my bedroom back and the pigs are closer to the action.

DSC01027.jpg

Last edited:

Traysea

Cavy Slave
What about wonder bars from the cage store so the trays are easy to remove and a drop down front and fold up lid for the top for access

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.