Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Myself (new to the group and having piggies)

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
Hi there everyone! My name is Judy and I am new to this group and new to owning piggies. I started out with just one female name "Patches", then I decided to get her a mate and I named her "Mocha". So after having them for about 2 weeks I went to the pet store to buy more timothy hay and saw this little cutie so I got her and named her "Snickers" and of course she needed a mate as well, so I ended up getting another one and named her "Jelly Bean". I have always owned hamsters and still do. I am sure I will have lots of questions and I hope that I don't bombard you with so many!!!

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome! For some reason, I can't see your attached pictures.
Have fun browsing the forums. I learned a ton on this site when I first got guinea pigs and I'm sure you will too. And anyone here would be happy to answer any questions you may have. We don't mind being bombarded :)

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
girls.jpg
Here is my pic I was trying to post in my thread.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
I actually bought all 4 of them from the same pet store and they only sell females.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't make any difference that the pet store says they only sell females. We've had lots of males from those kinds of pet stores, as well as pregnant females. Be safe, and check them all out. If any of them look different, separate them, as they're all plenty old enough to have pups.

Here are two links that will help you: www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm and (broken link removed).

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
We bought Snicker and Jelly Bean at the same time...so we have them together in one cage and Mocha and Patches in the other cage. I would love to know how old they all are.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
We bought Snicker and Jelly Bean at the same time...so we have them together in one cage and Mocha and Patches in the other cage. I would love to know how old they all are.

There's not a sure way to tell how old but pet stores tend to sell guinea pigs as soon as they can so they're probably very young. I was told usually pet store piggies are around 6-7 weeks old.

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
I am sure Jelly Bean and Snickers are that young, but Patches and Mocha has to be older since they are bigger...Mocha is huge compared to Patches.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I am sure Jelly Bean and Snickers are that young, but Patches and Mocha has to be older since they are bigger...Mocha is huge compared to Patches.

Yeah they could be older. Sometimes people will buy a guinea pig from a petstore and then return it a couple weeks later. It could be that this happened to one of your pigs before you got them. Who knows

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome @lvmypiggies ! Such a cute bunch of girls! I also have a pig named Snickers. And her cagemate was originally named Patches when I adopted them (we changed Patches to Lucy).

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
It's all good....no matter how old they are they are loved to pieces...and this is coming from someone that did not really care for guinea pigs....and now I have 4.....LOL

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
Awwww...I have nicknamed Snickers Sinkerdoodle...like the cookie....LOL

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
What size cage do you have them in?

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
We have them in a 35.5"W x 20"D x 19"H

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome :eek: why do you keep the two pairs separate if they're all girls? Have you tried doing introductions?

lvmypiggies

Cavy Gazer
They are separate because the cage is not big enough for 4 piggies....they have play time together and they all get along just fine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The cage isn't big enough for two pigs, either. See the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes. The measurements are in grids, which are 14 inches square. Those are minimums -- bigger is always better, and lessens the chance for aggression as they grow older.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
also, you shouldn't do play time with all 4of them. guinea pigs aren't wired the same way we are, they don't need to have friends outside their bonded herd. While they may seem to like it, it will just cause stress. It could potentially break the bond between the pairs as well, I believe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.