Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Do guinea pigs mourn?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
When I picked her up to hold her, she would blow her coat.

Guinea pigs don't really do this. Usually it's just that when you are at the vet you are handling the pig more than usual so more hair is coming off.

Yes, pigs mourn, or at least they miss the companionship of another pig. It's usually best to find another companion right away. However, since you are worried that yours is sick, you will have to find out for sure before adding another guinea pig. I recommend a vet visit. Or, you can weigh her daily for awhile to make sure she's eating and drinking normally, and not losing any weight.

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
@deardulcie, yes, I have dogs that I've brought to the vet. But I never noticed the amount of hair that comes off. I just thought it was their normal shedding. Thanks for the info!

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
You'll be honoring Jimi's memory by welcoming another deserving piggy into your home and heart. ((hugs))

@BedfordCavies Aww. Thank you so much! :') At first, I didn't want to replace Jimi (and I thought Mimi wouldn't want to replace Jimi either), but I also realized Jimi would be happy if I get Mimi a new friend.

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
They sometime but each other because of the age difference but mostly get along.

@RodentsRus Thank you! How old was Cupcake when you got her? Does age difference matter when adopting a new pig? Mimi is 2 yrs. and 9 mos. old. How old should my new pig be?

Lisa21264

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. I think getting mimi a friend is just what she needs. I think piggies do mourn.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Foggy creek...She was blowing her coat when I held her at home. No more handling than usual, but MATS of hair coming off. I have seen that before in dogs and cats at the vet. It's a stress reaction, I believe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.