Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I refuse to buy ________ at the petstores!

sonsofpiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! I'm interested in knowing what you all refuse to buy at petstores and what alternatives you use! For example I refuse to buy hideouts from the pet stores because they're expensive and my pigs will chew them to shreds withing a week or 2! So instead I use cardboard boxes because you can get those for free almost anywhere!

I'm excited to know what you refuse to buy and how you make the alternatives! :)
b32853c7366bfbe4d784a836bc221fd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I refuse to buy animals at the pet stores. I refuse to buy supplies at the pet stores. I refuse to buy anything at the pet stores.

I strongly believe in adopting animals rather than buying from breeders or pet stores. The animals are bred and treated horribly (search "petco and petsmart animal abuse/cruelty on Google, YouTube... the videos are brutal), and it breaks my heart every time I think about it. I think that if we all didn't buy animals from pet stores or breeders they would stop. However, and this is just me, I think that by even buying SUPPLIES from pet stores is not okay because if we buy their supplies, they'll want to sell animals that go with those supplies.

Plus, the GOOD products are ridiculously expensive and 90% of what they sell is just sh*it. They mislead customers into thinking that the stuff they sell there is what they need to buy and that by buying their pets from there is okay. I could rant all day about pet stores... :) For hay/toys/cage accessories I either make my own or buy online in bulk. It's much cheaper.

Your piggie is so cute! I've never seen a guinea pig who looks like that before... he/she is very unique :)

sonsofpiggies

Cavy Slave
I refuse to buy animals at the pet stores. I refuse to buy supplies at the pet stores. I refuse to buy anything at the pet stores.

I strongly believe in adopting animals rather than buying from breeders or pet stores. The animals are bred and treated horribly (search "petco and petsmart animal abuse/cruelty on Google, YouTube... the videos are brutal), and it breaks my heart every time I think about it. I think that if we all didn't buy animals from pet stores or breeders they would stop. However, and this is just me, I think that by even buying SUPPLIES from pet stores is not okay because if we buy their supplies, they'll want to sell animals that go with those supplies.

Plus, the GOOD products are ridiculously expensive and 90% of what they sell is just sh*it. They mislead customers into thinking that the stuff they sell there is what they need to buy and that by buying their pets from there is okay. I could rant all day about pet stores... :) For hay/toys/cage accessories I either make my own or buy online in bulk. It's much cheaper.
I totally agree adopt don't shop!!! Pet stores treat their animals so horrible! I had to go buy a water bottle bc I accidently dropped my piggies glass one and the petsmart had 4 pigs in like a 20 or 30 gallon aquarium WITH a wired wheel! I did talk to a manager about it hopefully he listened and did something about it but chances are he didnt...

Do you mind telling me some of the websites you use to buy supplies online?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Of course! I buy my hay either from Chewy.com (most recent, I got 2 50lb. boxes of Oxbow hay... funny story, I only wanted one, and I only paid for one, but I got 2 and the company just told me to keep the second one when I contacted them! I won't be buying hay for a very long time lol) or Small Pet Select.

When I fed pellets I bought them from Small Pet Select as well.

Fleece/Cage Liners/U-Haul pads (as the absorbent layer) I either buy from Etsy, Walmart, or JoAnn's Fabrics, uhaul.com.

Toys... I usually make my own or I don't even bother with them as I haven't had a single piggie who has been very motivated with playing with toys.

As for cage accessories, I have yet to buy more from either drsmithandfoster.com, amazon, etc.

sonsofpiggies

Cavy Slave
Of course! I buy my hay either from Chewy.com (most recent, I got 2 50lb. boxes of Oxbow hay... funny story, I only wanted one, and I only paid for one, but I got 2 and the company just told me to keep the second one when I contacted them! I won't be buying hay for a very long time lol) or Small Pet Select.

When I fed pellets I bought them from Small Pet Select as well.

Fleece/Cage Liners/U-Haul pads (as the absorbent layer) I either buy from Etsy, Walmart, or JoAnn's Fabrics, uhaul.com.

Toys... I usually make my own or I don't even bother with them as I haven't had a single piggie who has been very motivated with playing with toys.

As for cage accessories, I have yet to buy more from either drsmithandfoster.com, amazon, etc.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Oh god, I had no idea! Thank you for telling me.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You're welcome.

Dr. Foster and Smith is owned by Petco.

(broken link removed)

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Jesus... lol Now where can I buy my supplies!?

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I make my own hideys and also order from Amazon I think Pigloos are terrible they trap a nasty odor

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I'm not a fan of pigloos either. What drfosterandsmith.com had that interested me were actually those bendy bridges that I can't find anywhere else. I have been looking for those things everywhere and they are either in pet stores (the colorful ones, I'm looking for the natural, brown logs kind) or on websites like zooplus.co.uk

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yeah, I'm not a fan of pigloos either. What drfosterandsmith.com had that interested me were actually those bendy bridges that I can't find anywhere else. I have been looking for those things everywhere and they are either in pet stores (the colorful ones, I'm looking for the natural, brown logs kind) or on websites like zooplus.co.uk

I made a Hidey out of a Halloween Pumpkin I also have a question is it possible for a fleece hidey to be to small?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Well... yes, if the pig can't get in or get out it's obviously too small.. or if the pig can't sit/lie down comfortably.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I was asking bc I have a tiny well not tiny but a bit tiny then normal fleece hidey my piggy likes to get in he doesnt get stuck or anything I was just asking as he doesn't seem to mind

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Chewy has been purchased by Petsmart. Buying from Chewy is like buying from Petsmart.
https://fortune.com/2017/04/18/petsmart-buys-online-chewy/

Thank you! All these. Companies are connected in someway. Walgreens bought out rite aid. CVS bought out Caremark and Target pharmacy. Same goes for any online pet store. KMS is the only company I've researched that honestly has no connections. Well plus this site.

sherri86

Cavy Slave
I make my own hideys and also order from Amazon I think Pigloos are terrible they trap a nasty odor

if you run hot water over it for 5 minutes and use a good knife or saw, you can cut out a second entry/exit. I had bought them before knowing that they were bad and the two I had I cut out another exit. they work great now

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I won't buy from pet stores that sell dogs or cats. I have a puppy mill rescue former breeding mama.

In this area, I can't get everything I need for my menagerie of animals without going into a one of a few locally owned pet-stores, 1 doesn't sell pets but doesn't have a great selection sometimes, one is fab but sells small animals/birds/reptiles although with slightly more educated staff, and one sells puppies and kittens. I refuse to shop at the last one and, at the end of the month I intend on putting an order for large amounts needed through the pet store with no animals.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I refuse to buy pets from pet stores. I also refuse to buy pet supplies from any store that sells pets. I get most of my guinea pig's food from farms or online, their bowls and hay racks from Dollarama (their hay rack is supposed to be a wire cabinet rack), and their hidies I bought them online, made them, or they are cardboard boxes.

fluffbutt

Cavy Slave
their hidies I bought them online, made them, or they are cardboard boxes.

No matter how much money I spend on a 'real' hidey, my piggies always prefer a good cardboard box hahahaha

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I am guilty of ordering from Foster Smith, their prices are very reasonable and they often have free shipping, regardless of how much you spend. I mainly have ordered the Oxbow urinary support tabs, benebac, critical care, and toys from there. I had no idea they were owned by Petco. My hay comes from Small Pet Select and pellets come from KMS Hayloft

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.