Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I need some advice quick please!!

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone I'm not sure if anyone can help me, I'm new to this I used to be on another forum. Basically I have a white Guinea pig he is lovely (it's a boar) I also have another black Guinea pig (also a boar) my white Guinea pig has a black all around his bum area just between the back of his 2 legs? I don't have a clue what it is at all and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all? I just find it very weird. They live outside and I thought maybe it was dirt at the start but it's been there a while now, it wasn't like it before? Can anyone help me???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture of it? Have you tried to wipe it off? If so, what happened?

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
I can't post a picture right now as I'm in uk and its late here now. I'll post it tomorrow for you to see. No I haven't tried wiping it. He's a really shy pig I haven't had him for very long. I mean he seems fine this is what I don't understand

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
Nothing is coming from him which is brown and watery. It's just his bum area is very strange colour

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, post a picture when you can. We can't really tell anything by a description.

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
A white cavy is a magnet for dirt. >( My Chester perpetually had a dirty chin and a dirty underbelly. I suspect that only because he was neutered did he not have a dirty bum. That and the fact that I kept the hair around his genital area trimmed short.

Keeping a cavy in an outdoor environment is a totally uncontrolled situation. It will be difficult to isolate any one single cause. If he were housed indoors on fleece, then it might be possible to sort it out.
Well my Guinea he is a short hair he literally has not a lot of hair around his bum area anyways, my guineas are really happy outside. I mean they have a lot of room they are always pop Corning and squeezing. They are very happy there. They used to be inside and they used to fight and when I put them outside the first time they were really happy, cuddling each other and everything. They have plenty of things to do and I'm outside the majority of the time aswell. They are never ever forgotten about.

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
image.jpeg This photo is not my Guinea pig. But it looks like this but all of it is black? Is this normal?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
If that's the color of his skin, then that's totally normal. Guinea pigs can have pink or dark colored skin in different areas.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you can please post a photo of your piggy, this one is normal, just skin pigment.

Piggies98

Cavy Gazer
If you can please post a photo of your piggy, this one is normal, just skin pigment.
It might just be that then? It's just when I first got him when he was a baby it wasn't like that.. Then he started getting older and it's like black now? I'm not at home right now so I'll need to do it later but it looks like that picture just black

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's just skin color.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Animals can get different pigments in their skin in different places as they get older. Nothing to worry about :)

Fay

Cavy Slave
Like everyone said it's normal for pigs to have black skin or for skin to change color as they grow and their skin stretches. The area shown on the picture you shared is the genitals. You can see some pictures of the different genders here so you can see what's normal (also wouldn't hurt to double check your pigs gender regardless):

https://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.